Reflections on 2021 and Hopes for 2022 ...

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
OK, it is THAT time of the year. Time to get a little 'tired and emotional' and reflect on this year and then dream about the year ahead.

Maybe your shaving epiphany of 2021? Alternatively your shaving disaster?

Chuck in any more general observations too, being mindful of the Forum Rules.

Then turn your mind to 2022, shaving and non-shaving - hopes and dreams?

Go on, you can do it!

Shaving disaster of 2021?

Shaving with a straight razor and not thinking about the task at hand. As I lowered my hand with the razor, I raised my free hand and slashed myself across the knuckles.

I know have a nice scar 🤣

I'll get us going then, before ANY booze ...

Will be forever the year we lost @Nico for me, I was surprised by how much it affected me and how much it made me appreciate the other CBR Paste & Cut members, you know who you are! We don't live in each others pockets and each have full lives outside shaving but they are a great bunch. It was a real privilege to do a fair chunk of work on the Charity Auction this year as a bit of a personal tribute.

Getting the 'Platypig' from @TroyTools was a shaving highlight - a great boar brush after a long time

More generally - realising how much I miss traveling, both domestically and internationally and the chance to catch up with people. Even in 2020 I was overseas pre-COVID. 2021 is the first year in more than a decade with no international travel.

I've got a butterscotch brush awaiting a Rhodium knot from @Srdjan - cannot wait for that!

Getting through some supplies will be a goal too - hope to post in the finished products more :LOL:

In general life, I get to be acting CEO for the first six months of 2022. More than a little trepidation as we have a lot to deliver on during that time. It will be a learning experience!

[EDIT: @Nanook was too quick - sorry to hear about the accident - hope the scar is cool though!]

Well written @Mark1966 as the loss of our mate @Nico came as a complete shock and was by far the biggest low point together with the continued "pandemic" making any Meet Ups impossible as always a pleasure catching up with the CBR members.

By far the biggest highlight was seeing another successful Charity Auction as the P&C Community went well beyond to donate such wonderful items and raising such a large amount of funds during a difficult time for many was heart warming. I'm certain Tim & Nick would be proud!

2021 was going to be the year where I focused on appreciating my collection and overall the year was a success as I worked my way through a dozen or so soaps plus 30 odd samples and managed to move on a few razors and a free soap so thanks to @Mark1966, @alfredus, @borked @tim33z for the quick and hassle free transactions.

A special mention to some valued members who kindly sent me various items especially during my Sabbatical phase earlier in the year: @tullfan, @Gargravarr, @StratMan & @rhodes96 who out did things with both care packages comprising of a host of premium soap samples and fabulous blades. Also big cheerio to @Errol for his detailed Weekly Reviews as valuable information and @Monsta_AU for making this forum the wonderful place it is!

Ultimately I succumb to temptations by adding some highly prized items from local artisans/makers @CraigE, @TroyTools and George from Billy Goat Brushworks but the biggest addition was the Vector Titanium which introduced me to Artisan Club SE razors and so far the shaves have been fabulous so I keenly await my second AC SE razor from Poland with no immediate plans to add any further gear as my sights are set on the 2022 Sabbatical, with the only exception being the P&C Charity Auction and if @Pbgoose manages to get his soap business up and running...?

Wishing you all a Safe & Happy New Year!!!

Well I get to see the New Year about 3 hours sooner than you folks do.
I'm hoping for a good one (already bought my ticket from Oz Lotto for tonight's draw).
My hopes?....more of the same gentleness and camaraderie from you guys.
You are a nice bunch, and apparently not too bad at cricket either.
All the best to you all for the New Year...and please stay safe.

Well written @Mark1966 as the loss of our mate @Nico came as a complete shock and was by far the biggest low point together with the continued "pandemic" making any Meet Ups impossible as always a pleasure catching up with the CBR members.

By far the biggest highlight was seeing another successful Charity Auction as the P&C Community went well beyond to donate such wonderful items and raising such a large amount of funds during a difficult time for many was heart warming. I'm certain Tim & Nick would be proud!

2021 was going to be the year where I focused on appreciating my collection and overall the year was a success as I worked my way through a dozen or so soaps plus 30 odd samples and managed to move on a few razors and a free soap so thanks to @Mark1966, @alfredus, @borked @tim33z for the quick and hassle free transactions.

A special mention to some valued members who kindly sent me various items especially during my Sabbatical phase earlier in the year: @tullfan, @Gargravarr, @StratMan & @rhodes96 who out did things with both care packages comprising of a host of premium soap samples and fabulous blades. Also big cheerio to @Errol for his detailed Weekly Reviews as valuable information and @Monsta_AU for making this forum the wonderful place it is!

Ultimately I succumb to temptations by adding some highly prized items from local artisans/makers @CraigE, @TroyTools and George from Billy Goat Brushworks but the biggest addition was the Vector Titanium which introduced me to Artisan Club SE razors and so far the shaves have been fabulous so I keenly await my second AC SE razor from Poland with no immediate plans to add any further gear as my sights are set on the 2022 Sabbatical, with the only exception being the P&C Charity Auction and if @Pbgoose manages to get his soap business up and running...?

Wishing you all a Safe & Happy New Year!!!

YES!

Well said mate and @Errol's weekly reviews are certainly GOLD and I should have mentioned them too.

The biggest event for me in 2021 was getting out of the Philippines. It wasn't easy.

I was living in the Philippines for over 15 years, first in Manila and then the final 11years in Cebu. I loved living there; the people, their cultures, the food, the scenery, plenty of friends (all Filipino, no expats) a lovely house to live in ($400 per month), everything I could want. Then the pandemic hit.

Due to my age, I was put under a 24/7 curfew and not allowed the leave my subdivision. My girlfriends would take turns at doing my shopping and friends would often come to visit. I also had my straight razor shaving to keep me occupied. Work basically stopped as that was all overseas based.

After a little over a year of 24/7 curfew, I had had enough. I broke their law and sneaked out late at night, eventually getting to the airport and catching a flight to Manila. All of my material possessions, except what I could fit into two suitcases, were left in my house.

Two weeks in Manila staying in a friend's hotel before I could get a flight to Singapore. From Singapore. I was able the get a flight to Sydney. The trip cost me about $10k, 20 times the normal. At last I was FREE!

I will not be returning to the Philippines. After I left I told some of my friends to take whatever they wanted from my house and give the rest to the poor.

I am now in FNQ waiting to get a visa to either Korea or Vietnam. Either of those countries are currently my preferred place to live next.

The other high point of 2021 for me was furthering my knowledge and technique in straight razor shaving, and I'm still learning after daily SR shaving for over 2 years.

For 2022 I want to get out of Australia and settle down in at least Korea or preferably Vietnam. My work is based in Asia and I still thoroughly enjoy my work. I don't work for the money now. I already have enough to comfortably keep me until I am 112yo. I lead a simple life.

Whatever happens in 2022, I also want to keep exploring the joys of straight razor shaving.

The biggest event for me in 2021 was getting out of the Philippines. It wasn't easy.

I was living in the Philippines for over 15 years, first in Manila and then the final 11years in Cebu. I loved living there; the people, their cultures, the food, the scenery, plenty of friends (all Filipino, no expats) a lovely house to live in ($400 per month), everything I could want. Then the pandemic hit.

Due to my age, I was put under a 24/7 curfew and not allowed the leave my subdivision. My girlfriends would take turns at doing my shopping and friends would often come to visit. I also had my straight razor shaving to keep me occupied. Work basically stopped as that was all overseas based.

After a little over a year of 24/7 curfew, I had had enough. I broke their law and sneaked out late at night, eventually getting to the airport and catching a flight to Manila. All of my material possessions, except what I could fit into two suitcases, were left in my house.

Two weeks in Manila staying in a friend's hotel before I could get a flight to Singapore. From Singapore. I was able the get a flight to Sydney. The trip cost me about $10k, 20 times the normal. At last I was FREE!

I will not be returning to the Philippines. After I left I told some of my friends to take whatever they wanted from my house and give the rest to the poor.

I am now in FNQ waiting to get a visa to either Korea or Vietnam. Either of those countries are currently my preferred place to live next.

The other high point of 2021 for me was furthering my knowledge and technique in straight razor shaving, and I'm still learning after daily SR shaving for over 2 years.

For 2022 I want to get out of Australia and settle down in at least Korea or preferably Vietnam. My work is based in Asia and I still thoroughly enjoy my work. I don't work for the money now. I already have enough to comfortably keep me until I am 112yo. I lead a simple life.

Whatever happens in 2022, I also want to keep exploring the joys of straight razor shaving.
Wowzers that was one insane story but glad you regained your freedom and here's wishing you a better 2022! (y)

Shaving wise, 2021 has been the year I really broke the bank and acquired way too many straight razors. On the other hand, it's been the year I really started being half decent at restoring those razors, so I am happy about that.

On a personal note, this has been the year I really started appreciating good health, it's been a year that started on the back of an operation (a bit of a neuropathy on my right arm) and carried on with another operation for colon cancer.

So, I can't wait to see the back of this shite of a year.

On the other hand, it's been the year I met you all folks, so that is something I am very happy about.

I wish you guys all the best.

My soul hurts and I’m still going to missed @Nico :cry:

My thoughts exactly.

With 2021 now in the rear view mirror I was thinking a bit about the what impressed me and what was not so good on the wet shaving scene in 2021. Here are some topics to chew on:
  • Best DE razor – Blutt BR-1
  • Worst razor – Mars and Twig
  • Most useless razor – Asylum 17-4
  • Most aggressive razor – Stirling DE Razor twins
  • Least enjoyable – Robin Classic DE, Asylum McMurphy
  • Best SE – Alpha Claymore Evolution
  • Best Adjustable – Deneli Adjustable
  • Most number of new models released in 2021 – Stando, I cannot keep up with them
  • Best handle – Timeless TRH8
  • Best blade – Gillette Minora
  • Best soap – Noble Otter Neon Sun
  • Best brush synthetic – Oumo G5
  • Best brush badger – Chisel & Hound
  • Most emails - One Blade and not far behind is West Coast Shaving
  • Most annoying emails – One Blade and not far behind is West Coast Shaving
  • Worst customer service – Henson
  • Most unhelpful retailer - Muhle London
  • Slowest at getting a new model on the ground – Think the Blackland with their Vector Ti and to back it up, the Era – it’s their method of operation. These waits fade into great service when you look at the Karve Titanium. I ordered mine in May 2020 and I’ve seen a photo of a handle to keep me interested.
As for 2022, I haven’t given it a thought.

Well said @Mark1966 , @SpeedyPC and @Razor Burn , and thanks for remembering @Nico. If I make it to another Canberra meet up I will cannot help but to half expect to see Nico there in one of his signature caps. I miss Nico on the forum.

I'm not sorry to see the tail end of 2021 and I think it will be some time before the true cost of the COVID debacle is seen. Very strange year for us, on one hand lovely to see our son and daughter in law enjoying their new life together in Qld but crazy we cannot cross a border to see them.
The major reno we started was supposed to be finished by October 2021, but the saga continues into 2022. So obviously this is a priority for 2022 but also hoping to break @Razor Burn 's sabbatical.

Shaving as a hobby really got packed away (literally) with our move into the shed during the reno and became more of an attention to a daily necessity and less of an indulgence. It will be nice to move back into the house where hopefully I'll have the space to bring my collection back into full rotation, but it has been interesting to have been forced to select a (relatively) small number of razors to survive on. My go to razors ended up being the Colonial General V2 and my TI straights.

Wishing you all the best in 2022. P&C remains a valuable forum and looking forward to catching up more this year.

Well said @Mark1966 , @SpeedyPC and @Razor Burn , and thanks for remembering @Nico. If I make it to another Canberra meet up I will cannot help but to half expect to see Nico there in one of his signature caps. I miss Nico on the forum.

I'm not sorry to see the tail end of 2021 and I think it will be some time before the true cost of the COVID debacle is seen. Very strange year for us, on one hand lovely to see our son and daughter in law enjoying their new life together in Qld but crazy we cannot cross a border to see them.
The major reno we started was supposed to be finished by October 2021, but the saga continues into 2022. So obviously this is a priority for 2022 but also hoping to break @Razor Burn 's sabbatical.

Shaving as a hobby really got packed away (literally) with our move into the shed during the reno and became more of an attention to a daily necessity and less of an indulgence. It will be nice to move back into the house where hopefully I'll have the space to bring my collection back into full rotation, but it has been interesting to have been forced to select a (relatively) small number of razors to survive on. My go to razors ended up being the Colonial General V2 and my TI straights.

Wishing you all the best in 2022. P&C remains a valuable forum and looking forward to catching up more this year.
Its always a blast having you visit as not seeing much activity from the other CBR members these days but hope they're all doing well(y). :)

I hope for your sake things go well regarding the reno's and I'll be sure to work my way through my soap supplies to ensure plenty of room for some future purchases. Only problem I envisage is deciding on scents as the samples I tried were unique and equally pleasant...? :unsure:

The loss of Nico and others to cancer made 2021 charity auction all the more meaningful. Beside @Errol’s weekly reviews Nico’s experience and advice on modern SS razors was well received and fondly remembered

Stopped chasing BBS with aggressive razors and found my niche and preferences for DE razors setting the benchmark with GC_84-P and many modern SS razors of similar performance YMMV

Discovered the different quality between badger knots and my preferred configuration including a special mention to @TroyTools for Kakadu Gold and @Srdjan for reknotting a couple of butterscotch handles.

Thanks to @Mark1966 learnt there is so much more to vintage DE razors than just a nostalgic birthyear slim

Bought more soap and aftershave sets than I can probably use in my lifetime and have accumulated enough in the den to satisfy needs, but satisfying SAD is another thing.

Discovered the joy and rewards of straight shaving and honing one’s own razors. Accumulated enough to satisfy shaving needs and restorations

Finally discovered the Hawk SS OC and benefits of AC razors

Not committing to a sabbatical but will concentrate on reducing and refining the den, restoring straights and enhancing the shaving ritual.

Looking forward to Charity Auctions

Last edited by a moderator:
The highs... settling into our new bigger home, wifey getting a big promotion at work, better than expected year at work for me all things considered for my industry, and last but not least, discovering the art of shaving! Grateful for all the advice and virtual camaraderie here.

The other high for me this year is watching my daughter be this little three-nager and grow leaps and bounds while her personality well and truly cements itself as this sassy, cheeky, wilful and persistent (stubborn) little girl. Good traits (mostly) to have in life but not for poor ol mum and dad.

Definitely wish to be travelling overseas again (safely), for work and most importantly to see my family.

Thanks to @Mark1966 learnt there is so much more to straight [Edit: DE?]razors than just a nostalgic birthyear slim

Thanks for the edit, should have read: :Thanks to @Mark1966 learnt there is so much more to vintage DE razors than just a nostalgic birthyear slim

As much as I appreciate my Paste and Cut family, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart you truly are a great bunch of people, seeing my real family and holding them in my arms after 2 years was an emotional experience. Yes I cried, and am not ashamed of it.

The secondary effects of the covid situation have been cruel to alot of us. I have also had to deal with physical issues arising from an incident of not my fault while residing in Australia due to covid which has left me permanently disabled that I have to deal with.

Fortunately I am financially ok that I have been able to support my family when basically for 18 months I had zero traditional work income again due to the covid situation. Hopefully 2022 can be something of returning to some normality for all of us.

Special thanks to @Razor Burn, @Gargravarr, and @Mark1966. You three gentleman have been extra special at keeping me going, thank you.

As much as I appreciate my Paste and Cut family, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart you truly are a great bunch of people, seeing my real family and holding them in my arms after 2 years was an emotional experience...
So location no longer "in transit". :p So glad you finally made it home. The gratitude goes both ways, you helped me enormously with the huge, carefully chosen collections of soap samples you sent my way, making my morning ritual a real adventure. I hope your health situation improves, and that you are able to access all the care you need there.

As much as I appreciate my Paste and Cut family, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart you truly are a great bunch of people, seeing my real family and holding them in my arms after 2 years was an emotional experience. Yes I cried, and am not ashamed of it.

Absolutely get it! I think we all would have cried in that situation.

The secondary effects of the covid situation have been cruel to alot of us. I have also had to deal with physical issues arising from an incident of not my fault while residing in Australia due to covid which has left me permanently disabled that I have to deal with.

Fortunately I am financially ok that I have been able to support my family when basically for 18 months I had zero traditional work income again due to the covid situation. Hopefully 2022 can be something of returning to some normality for all of us.

Special thanks to @Razor Burn, @Gargravarr, and @Mark1966. You three gentleman have been extra special at keeping me going, thank you.

I suspect we will be paying the price of COVID for a long time, or more correctly, some people will be paying a price for a long time. While it is great to hear you are financially OK I know of many who are not and I really feel for them.

Trusting that 2022 will be a HUGE improvement for you mate!