Replacing scales?

Arnold J Rimmer

2017 Sabbatical Fail
Artisan Producer
I realise that they are probably not meant to be replaced, but I'm wondering if there is a way to replace scales?

The pivot pin looks to me to be a use-once kind of deal, and have been hammered down like a hot rivet.

I found a nice, shave-ready Solingen blade at an antique shop, but the scales are broken (completely gone on the short side of the pivot point, not just cracked) at the pin. Everything still works, but it is just a case of when the scales will come away (not if).

Does anyone have experience with this?

If anyone is interested, the place was Talbragar Country Antiques in Dunedoo (near the famous Pie Shop) on the way to Dubbo from the Coast. The gent there was very helpful and firendly, and had a few more straights, as well as a couple of D/E's and at least one S/E. I also managed to score a hand made paddle strop, which I managed to modernise a little, with new canvas and leather.

Absolutely, the pivot is pinned and peened so it's permanent unless you either, drill it out or grind it off with a file or grinding wheel which does mean destroying the old scales unless you're extremely careful, saving them is pretty pointless if you're replacing them unless they're super spesh. All you'll need to install new ones,is 1/16" brass or nickel rods and washers to match. (sorry for the late reply, I've just seen this)

Sorry for the delay in replying, Mark.

The old scales are already broken. They are gone on the short side of the the pivot pin.

I need to find a complete, new (old) set for this blade. I have been looking on eBay for a damaged Solingen blade, so that I can get some genuine scales to match.

Thanks for the vid. I can see the peening on this pin, and I do believe that the Dremel will need to come out of retirement in order to release it.. But, until I get a set of replacement scales, I will wait. The old scales are still giving the blade a home.

I think buying a razor to use the scales is a little risky because it's difficult to remove scales without damaging them. I found that removing the head of the pin left a small groove in the scale. You might have a more delicate touch than me though.

I bought new scales from some place in England, they came with pin and washers. If memory serves me right the cost was $18 plus postage.

Removing the old scales was a cinch I just ground the pin off with a bench grinder. Installing the new ones was easy enough to do too but done more gently than the removal. That razor still get used regularly.

Whichever way you decide to go, just remember to peen the pin gently with lots of little taps. Big taps can bend the pin the blade won't centre properly.

Thanks Trisbert. Excellent link.

I tried calling them just now, but apparently someone close to the business has just passed away, and the office is closed until at least Monday the 27th.

I'll place an email (scanned form) order, and will keep you all posted on progress.

Last edited:
Just updating:

I spoke to Joan at Knives Australia this morning. With what has happened in her world over the last week or so, she admitted things may be a little slow to despatch. No problem for me, as 2-3 days extra isn't going to make a lot of difference.

I can confirm that the site and the people who run it are real. Once I receive the goods I will report back with a further update.

Great news, please extend a welcome to them once they have regained some semblance of a 'new normal'.

OK, reporting that everything turned up today, in good order.

I ordered a Straight razor holder in chrome, for when I am shaving. I don't like placing it on the countertop, as I know I will eventually do harm to myself, picking it up whilst distracted.

Also ordered was a display box, as well as a set of scales.

The scales, while they will do the job just fine, as quite a flexible item. I'm trying to think of how to best describe it. I may have to come back to that, after a few more coffees to jolt the neurons into action.

All up, the service was very good, and I would not hesitate to use Knives Australia again in the future.

I will keep the thread going, so that I can report back on the scale replacement.

Sorry, no progress yet.

Had a few big projects on my plate, that are taking all of my time.

@Robbie d - I will do a timeline in pics, to show before, during and after shots.

With a bit of luck, I may get to this on the coming weekend. After that, I have to do a bit of flying across the country and back, then into my busy time at work.

I didn't get to it on the weekend, so I'm planning on taking the set to Perth with me. It will be raining the first few days I'm there, and I have to work on a car ... when it isn't raining.

This will give me something to pass the time with, and will also have the added benefit of allowing me to rummage through my dad's tools, to see what I'd like to take home!

Yeah, I'm going to pack it into the suitcase. He has a ball-pein hammer anyway - I don't. Yet.