Replating Service

I just acquired an English NEW Goodwill made for the French market, and the plating turned out to be not quite what I had hoped for (but it was cheap, so I won't complain too much).

EFGW1.jpg EFGW2.jpg

Has anyone used, or know of, a recommendable replating service. I contacted one place in Melbourne that I got from the phone book but they didn't know what a DE razor was or looked like.

Cheers, George

Good luck finding a place in Australia that replates razors. The few that I have contacted, like you found, don't know what it is and need to see it. Either that or only Replate in certain metals (eg silver and gold only).

Your best bet is an American replater. There are a few. For mailing to them, their replating and then return postage will cost around A$100 for Rhodium and take approx 4-6 weeks. I haven't tried it but only looked into it.

There are some in Australia as shown in this thread YKW

Thanks for the link Mark. I'll make some phone calls next week. As can be seen in the photos the plating is very badly worn but there are a few remnants. I'll ask if they can tell what the original plating might have been. I would suspect silver but I found an English NEW LC US style razor with silver like plating which polished up alot shinier than I normally associate with silver, and I'm wondering if it is nickel. No-one on B&B has seen one of theses in anything but gold.

Cheers, George

http://www.silvergleam.com.au/

They're on the list @ YKW and local to me.
I've made inquiries as to replating and they're willing to take on the job, yet their biggest issue is knowing what the razor is made from, as to ensure it doesn't dissolve in their cleaning process.

To be transparent, I'm yet to actually commission them for a job, yet honestly do intend to.

I've made inquiries as to replating and they're willing to take on the job, yet their biggest issue is knowing what the razor is made from, as to ensure it doesn't dissolve in their cleaning process.

Yes I heard of somebody who sent them a modern (Zamak) razor to be replated and the cleaning killed the head. Old brass is fine.

http://www.silvergleam.com.au/

They're on the list @ YKW and local to me.

To be transparent, I'm yet to actually commission them for a job, yet honestly do intend to.

What are their prices like? As I said above, it'd cost A$100 for it to be sent, replated and returned to America.

What are their prices like? As I said above, it'd cost A$100 for it to be sent, replated and returned to America.
Unfortunately, I don't recall, yet they're more than approachable.

Tempted with doing the red ring eclipse in rhodium. Wonder if I would get my money back should I ever decide to flog it though.

Tempted with doing the red ring eclipse in rhodium. Wonder if I would get my money back should I ever decide to flog it though.

To me, replating is for things you will keep and use. I would want the enjoyment out of it.

Who am I kidding? 10 weeks away from Babybert's arrival suggests it will be a long time before I can consider that.

I wasn't planning on plating and selling immediately, just thinking if it would get a return in the long run considering the plate loss I have on the head of mine if I should ever decide to get rid of.

I've had about four items done by RE - two OK, one had to be redone and one redone twice and still not plated to my satisfaction. They may have improved but ....

...but it appears to be a common theme!

Thanks for all the comments guys. I contacted a number of local replaters and found that they were either out of business, didn't know what I was talking about or way to expensive (up to $300). I've decided to go with RazorPlate.com as there have been many favourable comments (couldn't find any negatives) about Chris, the owner, on B&B. I'll report back after the event.

Cheers, George

Thanks for all the comments guys. I contacted a number of local replaters and found that they were either out of business, didn't know what I was talking about or way to expensive (up to $300). I've decided to go with RazorPlate.com as there have been many favourable comments (couldn't find any negatives) about Chris, the owner, on B&B. I'll report back after the event.

Cheers, George

WOW - interesting.

For future reference can you provide feedback on which is still around/charging $300!

Cheers, George
Love to hear how you go. Thanks for the update.