Restored and saved.

Dan.05

Hi all,

i have learned a bit about restoring straight razors over the past few months. here is my newly restored Friedr Baurmann & Sohne from 1909.

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

let me know what you think.

Reminds me of the pile I got to restore. Need to make some time for it.

Great work mate
you gotta start somewhere cos that's how we learn & definitely no need to rush these things
looks like you have a bit of work to do on the hones for the bevel set, or is the wave in the blade just an illusion
some nice grain in the horn & the new dome Washers look sweet too

have you got a before pic?
are they the original scales or did you make full new ones?
as they look a little big for the blade size that's all?
did you reclaim the wedge or all new also?

I note the pin in the lower pics looks a little high still ( you could file it & peen some more maybe), for pinning I usually peen the 1st end of the pin about 1mm to fit the washer then, assemble, cut & file the 2nd end of the pin to only about 1mm above the washer when pushed together tight, this allows for a fairly flush peening on the pins without excess mushrooming,
this is not as bad with Brass but nickel silver & Stainless pins like to split at the edges when peened over if left to long

It's great to see blades returned from the dark places they are abandoned to and given a rebirth ready to clear whiskers as they were intended for another life time or 2

Great work mate
you gotta start somewhere cos that's how we learn & definitely no need to rush these things
looks like you have a bit of work to do on the hones for the bevel set, or is the wave in the blade just an illusion
some nice grain in the horn & the new dome Washers look sweet too

have you got a before pic?
are they the original scales or did you make full new ones?
as they look a little big for the blade size that's all?
did you reclaim the wedge or all new also?

I note the pin in the lower pics looks a little high still ( you could file it & peen some more maybe), for pinning I usually peen the 1st end of the pin about 1mm to fit the washer then, assemble, cut & file the 2nd end of the pin to only about 1mm above the washer when pushed together tight, this allows for a fairly flush peening on the pins without excess mushrooming,
this is not as bad with Brass but nickel silver & Stainless pins like to split at the edges when peened over if left to long

It's great to see blades returned from the dark places they are abandoned to and given a rebirth ready to clear whiskers as they were intended for another life time or 2
The closest thing i have to a before pic is this.
FB_S_scales.jpg

The blade was covered in years of black neglect but i dont have an earlier photo. the black scale is the original and i traced the new from the old. i wanted to make the new scales a more sexy version of the old. I reclaimed the wedge as it was in good nick and I find less complications using the old.
I wasnt finished with the pins. i want to file them down a touch and polish the studs to bring up a nice shine. I just couldnt wait to shave.

No waive in the blade, i think it was just the photo.

i really appreciate your feedback and tips. good learning for me.