REVIEW: Yates Precision 921-M razor and Spaceman Leather cases

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
Yates Precision Manufacturing (YPM) is a relative newcomer to the world of artisan DE razors. They are a family business and all products are machined in their workshop in the US.

I got the razor with the shorter handle choice, M plate and the hybrid plate.

Here are some pics of this beauty!!...

Yates2.jpg

Yates3.jpg

Yates4.jpg

Yates5.jpg

Yates6.jpg

PACKAGING:

The packaging is 100% environmentally friendly and biodegradable. I prefer this packaging to the flip box type used by most other razor makers. The flip top boxes don’t serve any purpose as they can’t be used for travel so in my view, are wasteful. In the case of YPM, one can keep the packaging or discard it without any detriment. I kept mine as I quite like it!

Yates1.jpg

Yates7.jpg

FIT & FINISH:

The stonewash finish is what drew me to this razor to begin with. I’m not a huge fan of polished/shiny things so this was right up my alley! The finish is flawless and everything fits perfectly. The threading is very smooth too!

The hybrid SB/OC plate is made of brass, whereas the other plates are made of stainless steel with the stonewash finish. The hybrid plate looks striking when assembled with the rest of the razor!

ERGONOMICS (Weight, Balance, Overhang):

The shorter handle is fairly wide but feels very comfortable and well balanced with the head. The razor is hefty and you can feel this in your hand but it doesn’t feel cumbersome. The balance/weight distribution makes it a very comfortable razor to hold and wield around the face.

There is no overhang but the top cap has cut-outs so one can easily remove the blade from the cap very easily.

COMFORT / BLADE CLAMPING / BLADE CHATTER:

This is an aspect of the razor that really shows just how well designed this razor is!!

The blade is centred by the long posts and there is minimal play. Once tightened, there is zero play as the blade is clamped very tightly (you can hear the blade being torqued in the razor head as you tighten it up).

The blade bend is also more than most other razors, which helps to keep the blade very rigid.

These factors really allows the razor to behave like a GEM razor with absolutely minimal blade chatter. It feels ultra smooth on the skin and leads to an amazingly comfortable shave!

The blade bend also helps make the cutting angle very intuitive. I personally find razors that require riding the cap are not as intuitive or comfortable to use. Take the Karve for example, it’s an excellent razor but I find is sensitive to angle and if I don’t ride the cap, it tends to feel like it’s scraping the skin.

EFFICIENCY / BLADE GAP / BLADE EXPOSURE / BLADE REVEAL:

The blade gap of the M plate and the hybrid plate is 0.68mm with neutral blade exposure. This may seem like a relatively small blade gap however, it has good efficiency. The hybrid OC side provides slightly more efficiency without loss of comfort.

I am able to get a DFS+ in 4 passes with this razor, which I didn’t think would be possible given the blade gap. But it just goes to show that blade gap is not everything when it comes to razor design and function.

Note: I have the H plate on the way (1.02mm gap with positive exposure) however USPS is taking their sweet time to get it to me! Once I have had a chance to use it, I’ll update this review to compare it to the M plate. I suspect it will easily get me to BBS as a couple of my favourites are around this level (Karve D, ATT Windsor H).

OVERALL:

I would conclude by saying this razor took me by surprise! With the plethora of choices out there, YPM is offering a razor that is extremely well designed and executed! The stonewash finish allows for a unique addition to the den.

The razor provides what most of us look for in a high quality razor, but at a price that is hard to compete with!! ($125 for a stainless steel razor that is machined in the US…I don’t think there is another razor that comes in at this price!)

Another major factor is that the owner of YPM, Jake, is operating like a true artisan in that he is active within the community and is literally taking onboard what the consumers want!

There’s a lot of products that are in the pipeline and I am really looking forward to what YPM comes out with a time goes on.

I shall post my updated review once I have used the H plate (along with the newly designed top cap).

SPACEMAN LEATHER ACCESSORIES:

These accessories are a very classy addition to travel with a DE razor. The leather razor head cover is awesome! All my DE razors fit it perfectly but the Progress can be a tight fit due to the much bigger head size (it still fits though).

The flip open leather case is beautiful! It just oozes style and is incredibly functional. The case holds the razor and a tuck of blades. Once closed up, it’ll protect your investment during your travels! These are hand-made with 100% leather and is essentially a joint venture between YPM and Spaceman Leather.

If you like high-end luxury leather accessories, these are guaranteed to satisfy!!

Spaceman1.jpg

Spaceman2.jpg

Spaceman3.jpg

Spaceman4.jpg

Spaceman5.jpg

Spaceman6.jpg

Yates Precision Manufacturing (YPM) is a relative newcomer to the world of artisan DE razors. They are a family business and all products are machined in their workshop in the US.

Yates2.jpg

Yates3.jpg

Yates4.jpg

Yates5.jpg

Yates6.jpg

PACKAGING:

The packaging is 100% environmentally friendly and biodegradable. I prefer this packaging to the flip box type used by most other razor makers. The flip top boxes don’t serve any purpose as they can’t be used for travel so in my view, are wasteful. In the case of YPM, one can keep the packaging or discard it without any detriment. I kept mine as I quite like it!

Yates1.jpg

Yates7.jpg

FIT & FINISH:

The stonewash finish is what drew me to this razor to begin with. I’m not a huge fan of polished/shiny things so this was right up my alley! The finish is flawless and everything fits perfectly. The threading is very smooth too!

The hybrid SB/OC plate is made of brass, whereas the other plates are made of stainless steel with the stonewash finish. The hybrid plate looks striking when assembled with the rest of the razor!

The shorter handle is fairly wide but feels very comfortable and well balanced with the head. The razor is hefty and you can feel this in your hand but it doesn’t feel cumbersome. The balance/weight distribution makes it a very comfortable razor to hold and wield around the face.

There is no overhang but the top cap has cut-outs so one can easily remove the blade from the cap very easily.

This is an aspect of the razor that really shows just how well designed this razor is!!

The blade is centred by the long posts and there is minimal play. Once tightened, there is zero play as the blade is clamped very tightly (you can hear the blade being torqued in the razor head as you tighten it up).

The blade bend is also more than most other razors, which helps to keep the blade very rigid.

These factors really allows the razor to behave like a GEM razor with absolutely minimal blade chatter. It feels ultra smooth on the skin and leads to an amazingly comfortable shave!

The blade bend also helps make the cutting angle very intuitive. I personally find razors that require riding the cap are not as intuitive or comfortable to use. Take the Karve for example, it’s an excellent razor but I find is sensitive to angle and if I don’t ride the cap, it tends to feel like it’s scraping the skin.

The blade gap of the M plate and the hybrid plate is 0.68mm with neutral blade exposure. This may seem like a relatively small blade gap however, it has good efficiency. The hybrid OC side provides slightly more efficiency without loss of comfort.

I am able to get a DFS+ in 4 passes with this razor, which I didn’t think would be possible given the blade gap. But it just goes to show that blade gap is not everything when it comes to razor design and function.

Note: I have the H plate on the way (1.02mm gap with positive exposure) however USPS is taking their sweet time to get it to me! Once I have had a chance to use it, I’ll update this review to compare it to the M plate. I suspect it will easily get me to BBS as a couple of my favourites are around this level (Karve D, ATT Windsor H).

OVERALL:

I would conclude by saying this razor took me by surprise! With the plethora of choices out there, YPM is offering a razor that is extremely well designed and executed! The stonewash finish allows for a unique addition to the den.

The razor provides what most of us look for in a high quality razor, but at a price that is hard to compete with!! ($125 for a stainless steel razor that is machined in the US…I don’t think there is another razor that comes in at this price!)

Another major factor is that the owner of YPM, Jake, is operating like a true artisan in that he is active within the community and is literally taking onboard what the consumers want!

There’s a lot of products that are in the pipeline and I am really looking forward to what YPM comes out with a time goes on.

I shall post my updated review once I have used the H plate (along with the newly designed top cap).

These accessories are a very classy addition to travel with a DE razor. The leather razor head cover is awesome! All my DE razors fit it perfectly but the Progress can be a tight fit due to the much bigger head size (it still fits though).

The flip open leather case is beautiful! It just oozes style and is incredibly functional. The case holds the razor and a tuck of blades. Once closed up, it’ll protect your investment during your travels! These are hand-made with 100% leather and is essentially a joint venture between YPM and Spaceman Leather.

If you like high-end luxury leather accessories, these are guaranteed to satisfy!!

Spaceman1.jpg

Spaceman2.jpg

Spaceman3.jpg

Spaceman4.jpg

Spaceman5.jpg

Spaceman6.jpg

Great review. When I reviewed mine I used the only handle the made at the time; that long thin thing and disliked the razor but I think it was the handle that was the problem. I now have a H plated short handle razor in transit and looking forward to using that one. Because my M was the early version with the non standard thread Jake refunded the price of the cap like he said he would.

Yates2.jpg

Yates3.jpg

Yates4.jpg

Yates5.jpg

Yates6.jpg

PACKAGING:

Yates1.jpg

Yates7.jpg

FIT & FINISH:

OVERALL:

Spaceman1.jpg

Spaceman2.jpg

Spaceman3.jpg

Spaceman4.jpg

Spaceman5.jpg

Spaceman6.jpg
A very detailed and well written review @nav1 . Always a pleasure seeing members share their opinions and experiences. I've seen the Yates get some attention in the US Forums and rightly so as its a well machined razor.... Might be a tad mild for my liking but nice all the same! (y)(y)(y)

Great review. When I reviewed mine I used the only handle the made at the time; that long thin thing and disliked the razor but I think it was the handle that was the problem. I now have a H plated short handle razor in transit and looking forward to using that one. Because my M was the early version with the non standard thread Jake refunded the price of the cap like he said he would.

Their customer service is fantastic!

The cap I got is compatible with other handles but when I ordered the H plate, I ordered the newly designed cap as I just love the look of it.

Looking forward to your review of the H plate.

A very detailed and well written review @nav1 . Always a pleasure seeing members share their opinions and experiences. I've seen the Yates get some attention in the US Forums and rightly so as its a well machined razor.... Might be a tad mild for my liking but nice all the same! (y)(y)(y)

Thank you!

The M plate is on the mild side for me also. I can get a good shave but not a day long BBS.
I'm excited for the H plate...specs wise, it should be quite good for me.

Nice review @nav1 - thanks for posting it. That leather travel pack looks particularly cool... if only one could fly with DE blades. Not that there is much flying going on anymore of course!

Thank you!

I always have check-in luggage so I travel with a full shaving kit 😁