Roast Coffee Beans

It depends on the bean.

The Ethiopian are right into the roll of the second crack.

The Central and South American beans are typically stopped at the start of the second crack.

The PNG is normally as the rolling second crack gets momentum.

In Coffee Snob numbers, I try to keep them all between CS8 and CS10.

Thanks mate! They are a heavier bean, too. I was pretty happy with that roast, though I was thinking it may have been a tad under-done.

Happy for the feedback, thanks.

Still have 3x Guatemala and 2x Honduras. This will change once the boss lady gets back from QLD in a couple of days...

As it turns out, I have 2x Honduras and 1x Guatemala still on the shelf downstairs.

I have been using Guatemala in the percolator, as well as cold drip, and it is very similar to the Honduras, but roasted a little darker.
Percolator is giving me the equivalent of 6 espressos, in 20 minutes! Why are you all shaking?

Everyone should! Especially tea drinkers... you lot need to have a long hard look at yourselves... :LOL:

Just ordered, and in the postal network... soon to be available...

4 bags Ethiopia Sidamo FTO - A new one for me, some interesting floral notes out of the espresso machine. The samples I was sent, went down very well!
4 bags Peru FTO - Grown at high altitudes, over 4000 feet, will be very clean. Apparently quite a strong caramel flavour
8 bags Honduras FTO - Old faithful

They should arrive Monday. If I have the opportunity, I will roast after work each day, weather permitting.

So, the coffee arrived late yesterday.

I have been pretty immobile since the weekend though... I went for a bushwalk on the Kariong Brook Falls trail, and right near the bottom, I stepped on some loose stones and shattered my right ankle. I kept going, because 200m away were the falls, and some very cool water in which to soak my ankle. The 3.3km walk back (and up the equivalent of 25 flights of stairs) was very sub-fun.

I'm kind of walking again now, but my foot is 3x the size it normally is...

I started to roast this morning, but the weather is a little threatening, so I called it a day. I managed 1 run of Ethiopia Sidamo only, before the big, low, grey clouds came in from @Pbgoose's neck of the woods... Instead, I have prepped the next 8-10 roast batches. Whenever there is a break in the weather, I'll look to punch one through.

For now though, I'll go and watch the T20 replay on Indian TV!

So, the coffee arrived late yesterday.

I have been pretty immobile since the weekend though... I went for a bushwalk on the Kariong Brook Falls trail, and right near the bottom, I stepped on some loose stones and shattered my right ankle. I kept going, because 200m away were the falls, and some very cool water in which to soak my ankle. The 3.3km walk back (and up the equivalent of 25 flights of stairs) was very sub-fun.

I'm kind of walking again now, but my foot is 3x the size it normally is...

I started to roast this morning, but the weather is a little threatening, so I called it a day. I managed 1 run of Ethiopia Sidamo only, before the big, low, grey clouds came in from @Pbgoose's neck of the woods... Instead, I have prepped the next 8-10 roast batches. Whenever there is a break in the weather, I'll look to punch one through.

For now though, I'll go and watch the T20 replay on Indian TV!
Shattered?! You actually broke bones or tore ligaments or both? Hope you recover soon. Sounds like it will be sore for a while.

Tendons and ligaments only. My foot is just coming out of it's blue/yellow period, and the swelling is mostly down. It even looks like a foot again! Stairs are the big issue right now... I can't really move it comfortably in any direction other than up or down. Pivoting is a distinct no-no... as I found out late last night, quite by accident..

That said, I can hobble, and I refuse to be laid up when I still have one good foot.

Roasted the equivalent of 6 bags of Honduras today. With luck, I could be into the Peru tomorrow. Luck being an early mark from work... :smuggrin:

@Substance - No problem, I shall confirm that now.

Fresh beans arrived today safe & sound
smelling awesome when I cracked the post pack.
and packed way better than some send razors to me for honing
Like the new resealable packaging also great addition, means I can retire my bag clips lol

Can’t wait for the morning now for a shot of the Peru to break the 2 day drought since my last lot of Honduras ran out, which is also in the post pack and I think it will be a staple as long as it’s available
Love your work mate
Cheers Dion

Thanks Dion.

The black bags, I bought for another project at work, so I felt that I had to get through them first. Now onto the valve bags, with just a short run in the vacuum sealer to lock the top shut.

Enjoy. They smelled great on the way out the door to you.

As I type this, I have the percolator loaded with finely ground Peru. With (currently) 35mm of overnight rain, it looks like a coffee kinda day...

Fresh beans arrived today safe & sound
smelling awesome when I cracked the post pack.
and packed way better than some send razors to me for honing
Like the new resealable packaging also great addition, means I can retire my bag clips lol

Can’t wait for the morning now for a shot of the Peru to break the 2 day drought since my last lot of Honduras ran out, which is also in the post pack and I think it will be a staple as long as it’s available
Love your work mate
Cheers Dion
Yeah, loving the coffee @Arnold J Rimmer .
It's funny when I go to the Post Office and pick up an Arnold J Rimmer coffee delivery, if the PO staff accidentally squeeze the bag and they get a waft of the coffee aroma, their eyes glaze over and there's an obvious reluctance to hand over the 'package'.