Roast Coffee Beans

Arnold J Rimmer

2017 Sabbatical Fail
Artisan Producer
Thanks @Monsta_AU for setting up a new chain.

I have modified the amounts I am roasting and selling. As coffee beans contain a fair amount of moisture in them when they are green, the roasted weights are of course going to be less.

Once roasted, the beans are fast-cooled to ambient temperature, then placed in foil bags to breathe for several days. The initial CO2 that they exhale is squeezed out of the bags through a one-way valve in the bag itself. After 4-5 days, I take them into work and transfer them into proper coffee bags, and vacuum seal them for transport via Auspost. In transit they will keep exhaling, but as it is not oxygen, the beans will stay very fresh.

I will be selling in lots of 400g, at $15.00 per lot. Shipping will be $9.25, or $13 for 2 lots.

So, I will be offering Organic, Single Origin roasted beans in very limited quantities per roast. Mostly it is because I am buying a few kilos only of each type at a time.

I will offer them, and if no takers, I will use them myself after about 2 weeks.

Recently roasted and sold on the wife's Facebook page, were Honduran and Papua New Guinea dark roasts.

Next up to the plate (Sunday) will be Brazil and Ethiopia. Yes, I finally found Ethiopian Organic.

Ok, here are this batch's beans.

Ethiopia Dark Organic, 2x 400g
Honduras Dark Organic, 1x 400g
Brazil Dark Organic, 1x 400g

All 3 smell superb! Ethiopian tastes nice, too.
Currently breathing in a foil bag, will be vacuum sealed as ordered, for shipping.

Prices in the original post.

A long time overdue BUT -

many thanks to @Arnold J Rimmer - I got the Ethiopia Dark Organic and they were great. Ran then through my Seaco automatic machine at work and they produced a very nice double espresso - certainly of quality equal to the ONA beans I normally get.

While great in a doppio they really came to their best with a little milk added (cold in this case - I just had some in the office for a meeting) which really rounded out the flavour.

I will certainly get some more next time they are available!

Thanks, Mark. Hopefully I will have the opportunity before Christmas, to get a few batches made up.

Work is a 7-day per week prospect right now, so I can't give it the attention I want to. Soon, though, as things start to tail off...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait @Arnold J Rimmer - although no pressure!

Will try whatever you have going :)

Update: I have a few kg of various beans arriving early next week. The aim is to run from work early each day next week, and roast up what I can, and have it ready to go either before Christmas (while still gassing), or between Christmas and New Year (after gassing). Either won't be a problem. As long as they have 3-4 days to breathe after roasting, then they will be superb.

I'll update the whats and whens, once the beans arrive.

Update: I have a few kg of various beans arriving early next week. The aim is to run from work early each day next week, and roast up what I can, and have it ready to go either before Christmas (while still gassing), or between Christmas and New Year (after gassing). Either won't be a problem. As long as they have 3-4 days to breathe after roasting, then they will be superb.

I'll update the whats and whens, once the beans arrive.
Thanks @Arnold J Rimmer - I loved the Ethiopian beans you roasted last time - preferred those over the Brazilian

Yeah, the Ethiopian were a slightly darker roast. I preferred them too... the extra couple of degrees really made a difference.

The Brazilian are a little more bitter, and best done to a medium dark. But you have to like a slightly tart coffee to really enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I just did a quick roast on Christmas day.

What I have currently is:

1x Ethiopia
(I had some in a bag, in a box) 400g
1x East Timor 400g, possibly 2 (to be weighed tomorrow).

Both are nice and dark roasts.

Once this heat buggers off, I'll get into it a bit more. I have a kilo or so of East Timor, and a couple of kilos of Nicaragua to get through.

Ok, I just did a quick roast on Christmas day.

What I have currently is:

1x East Timor
400g, possibly 2 (to be weighed tomorrow).

Both are nice and dark roasts.

Once this heat buggers off, I'll get into it a bit more. I have a kilo or so of East Timor, and a couple of kilos of Nicaragua to get through.

East Timor is hard to find in US. Bali is more common. Can you ship to US and is there a better weight for shipping? Happy to try even .25 kilo size.

I'm in for a couple of bags of whatever is going :)

OK @Mark1966 , I'll lock you in for one of each then?

East Timor is a new crop, only being re-established in the years following East Timor's independence from Indonesia. Keen to give it a go, myself.

@Batch300, let me do some checking on postal charges to the US for you. 250g should be workable.
EDIT: PM Sent, @Batch300.

Last edited:
Locked in. You should have the details from before.

I do have an extra Ethiopia, after measuring everything out.

If @Batch300 chooses to decline the offer in his PM, then I will have an extra East Timor as well. He has first right of refusal.

EDIT: Looks like some coffee is being introduced to the Americas!

Last edited: