Review Rockwell 6S

Korbz

So I've had the pleasure of spending the last 30 odd days using the 6S exclusively, and whilst the other lads (fatty, murky, ikes, peter parker) have been getting a little jealous, I haven't missed them at all.

Methodology
In doing this review, I wanted to give each setting comparable and consistent support to properly evaluate the razor itself. 4 days per setting, and a fresh permasharp super each time. The brush changed about halfway through, but noting the quality of the lather didn't change. Soaps used have been tallow based from Stirling, with a vegan soap from Jabonman creeping in the last few days.

Aesthetics
This is probably the only semi-negative thing I will say in the review, but I was a little disappointed when opening the package. This was created by an expectation that I would be greeted with a tin container, foam lined in which the razor and heads would be seated. Instead, I was met with a cardboard box in which the razor and heads had been wrapped. There was a reason though, Gareth had run out of the tins, and not wanting to delay a massive amount of orders a couple of weeks, he made the call to ship in cardboard. I've since contacted him and he's happy to look at options when the model T ships next year (to get me a container if possible).

The razor itself though I was very happy with. Now this is a metal injected product, and not going to be on the same field as ATT or Wolfman etc. It is a fully stainless steel razor, with 6 different settings (3 heads) for now $100 USD, vs much more for ATT. So if an absolutely stunning, flawless machined finish isn't that important to you, or if you're not flushed with cash, let's get down to how she shaves.
aFCErrE.jpg

In Action
I've said this in the SOTD when using it, but you cannot discount any of the settings on this bad boy. Without trying the #1 setting, I went in thinking that it would be much too mild and it would take hours to get a decent result. Likewise, that 5 or 6 would be reason to call an ambo or have the number on standby at very least. What I can say, is that this is a very well thought out, well designed razor. The increments for settings 1 through to 6 seem to work well in progression, and give results that would please the majority of users. For those playing at home, these are the blade gap settings (version 1 and final version 2).
JetQIF9.jpg

I'll be brief in my coverage of settings, as this will be a DSDF area (different strokes for different folks). As with all razors, I am fastidious when it comes to blade alignment. I have found myself moving the blade a fraction of a mm to get it to where I'm happy with. That's probably just me being anal.

1. Very comfortable. Wasn't able to get a bbs shave, but bloody close in 3 passes with only a smidge of touch ups. I would challenge a newb to cut themselves with this, and put a carton on as a wager. Same auditory feedback as a 34c. Minimal blade feel.
  2. Massive jump in auditory feedback. Very slight increase in blade feel (similar to a 34c). Very comfortable and irritation free shave in 3 passes.
  3. Very similar shave to #2, with increases in feel and noise. BBS result achieved easy in 3 passes. Similar feel to the Parker 24/26c
  4. As above, increases in feel and noise. BBS result achieved easy in 3 passes. Think fatboy on #5-6 for blade feel.
  5. Starts getting interesting here. Not uncomfortable at all, but could definitely tell there was a razor blade in there, and that it would bite me if I didn't respect it. BBS in 2 passes with only slight touch up in trouble area on the sides of my neck. No irritation and only a couple of nicks for me being silly.
  6. Yep, too much for me on a daily basis. If I had a job interview, or heaven willing, date night with the wife and no kids, this would be my go to. Result so close and smooth for hours and hours afterwards. First 2 days no worries at all. Day 3 and 4 however is where my skin starts to play up. Getting too close on my neck gives the ingrowns, and around day 3 is where I start taking skin off with them. So a few nicks these shaves.
Blade gap on #6
kHY0IRa.jpg

Blade gap on #1
TGDQGNA.jpg

Summary
I've loved using this razor over the last month, and have found most settings brilliant. It just seems to suit my style of shaving and face really well. I like the hardware tool look it has about it, and knowing it will last 3 lifetimes. This could replace all my current razors, with the exception of the parker OC and iKon slant, and that's only because they offer something a little different. Who would I recommend this to? Anyone that is still searching for that one razor that they can use daily and be happy with. If you have a bbs-1, or wolfman, or ATT combo and love it, there's not really anything to be gained. Likewise, if you like a R41 deathly aggressive razor, this one probably doesn't have that for you. For all else, maybe it's worth a look in.

Rockwell 6S Imgur album

@Korbz I love your feedback, reviews and carefully explain in you're own details point of view about the Rockwell 6s because everybody is different, as I'm still waiting for mine very soon and I do truly hope you will keep this razor for good and you should be very proud with your Rockwell 6s.

Cheers ;)

Wow. Top review mate. Sounds a great all-round razor and worth its value. Clever system of flipping the base plates and sounds like the makers learnt a lot during the process. Hopefully you'll get your tin down the track... [emoji6]

(PS The Jabonman has lanolin in it so it's not strictly "veggie".)

Probably won't be one mate. The 2 I had the best experience with are R4 and R2.
That's it isn't it? The value of an "adjustable" razor is that you can use a different setting for the amount of stubble, how you want the shave to go or even how you feel at the time...

WOW!

Sensational review @Korbz - the benchmark

Well done @Korbz, excellent revue. FWIW I agree with most of what was said above, although I haven't tried it on plates 1 or 2. Personally I found 4 or 5 to be my sweet spot. 5 gave a sensational shave, so much so that I didn't need to shave the next day at all. However, you can't be sloppy on that setting.

I love the heft of this razor and, although there are a few blemishes in the finish, have been very impressed with this stainless steel razor for the price. Unfortunately for me, what that means is I'm now wondering what a Wolfman would be like:p.

Leisureguy recently suggested that it would be a fantastic first razor for somebody if they were wanting to go all out and splurge, and I agree. Settings 1-3 are extremely comfortable, so much so that you would be hard pressed to nick yourself, 4-6 are very efficient.

Finally at long last I've received an email this morning from Gareth saying my Rockwell 6s has been shipped today and it's on it way to Australia from Canada yipeeeeee I can't wait to get my bloody bare hands on the new Rockwell 6s very soon, has anybody received an email saying your razor has been ship with your tracking DHL express number?

Last edited:
Finally at long last I've received an email this morning from Gareth saying my Rockwell 6s has been shipped today and it's on it way to Australia from Canada yipeeeeee I can't wait to get my bloody bare hands on the new Rockwell 6s very soon, has anybody received an email saying your razor has been ship with your tracking DHL express number?

Yep, DHL tracking says mine will be delivered on Monday.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts gents. It's been pretty much the only razor I've used since receiving it.

To all Aussie Rockwell Razors have any of you try a Feather DE blade on plate #2, #3 & #4 just asking how does it feels during you're shave does the blade feel aggressive or mild.

Last edited:
To all Aussie Rockwell Razors have any of you try a Feather DE blade on plate #2, #3 & #4 just asking how does it feels during you're shave does the blade feel aggressive or mild.
Yes, and in 3 & 4 it feels a little rough to me. 2 is the sweet spot for me with feathers, but chuck a permasharp in there, I get much better results on all 3 settings.