Rockwell T2 adjustable

borked

Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat
Grand Society
Group Buy Associate
Da Menth Heads
2018 Charity Auction Winner
Anyone got or know anyone with experience with this just dropped adjustable razor?
Apparently a revised version of the T adjustable razor which was only released yesterday to backers and prior customers first at a discounted rate for the next 24ish hours.
Not sure if I can share the code here though @Monsta_AU @Mark1966 >???

I asked Rockwell a couple of days ago about the T2 and "is there any Zamac in it"?
They replied...
Quote] "Thanks for contacting Rockwell Razors.

The Model T uses a combination of brass, stainless steel and chromed zinc components that meet extremely strict tolerance requirements. Multiple internal screws and springs are made of stainless steel. The T-bar assembly (safety bar, thrust plate and clamshells) is made of zinc. The dial adjuster, knob, internal nuts and the bottom end cap are made of brass

For transparency, there might be indeed Zamac components on the Model T razors, unfortunately. We wouldn't want to misinform you so I hope this information helps.

Don't hesitate to contact us back if you have any other concerns. Have a great day!" [Unquote.

So there you have it...still Zamac bits in it.

Even at the discounted price of $79USD (for previous Rockwell backers), that's too much for a zamac razor, when you can spend much the same ($120) for a fully-brass adjustable in the Pearl Flexi.
I wanted to love my Model T, but after going through 2 razors that both had unacceptable alignment issues that couldn't be resolved, I gave up and it will take a lot to get me back on the Rockwell buyer's list.

Anyone got or know anyone with experience with this just dropped adjustable razor?
Apparently a revised version of the T adjustable razor which was only released yesterday to backers and prior customers first at a discounted rate for the next 24ish hours.

I'm sure people can PM you if interested :giggle:

Oooh. Please... Don't make me laugh again about another stupid Rockwell Model T v2.0!!!

giphy.webp

I've sold my v1.0 Model T many many moons ago.

Not for this little black duck. I waited nearly three years for the "T". In that time Rockwell had time to bring out their third edition in their book of excuses. It will be a long time before I buy another Rockwell razor.

Hi guys, I have both razors and can say that ordering a T2 was much more pleasurable than the original Model T. Immediate shipping and reasonably quick delivery. Price was okay given I was a backer of the original Model T.
Dubious marketing has lead to confusion of materials used for the razor however comparing both of the two razors the T2 seems more precise and robust.
I experienced a lot of variation with the previous iteration such as different shaving experience from one side of the razor to another and machining concerns as the molds seem to have varied a bit from one side to another. Another issue I had with the previous model T was the chrome coating being uneven on the edge of the doors causing blade issues and possibly a contributing factor to the varied feel upon shaving from one side to another.

Another issue which seems to be addressed is the barn doors. Because of the way it is now designed the doors aren't making direct contact with one another as the T bar is protruding from the top and takes a more prominent role in keeping the doors aligned than the previous model. However with that comes some slight gaps on the doors where the T bar ends on each side which doesn't really affect the overall experience however it would have been nice to have the doors meet together with a tighter tolerance in that regard.

I can't really comment on a face shave because I haven't been shaving for over a year (due to feeling down in the dumps and stuff) but did test it on my forearm a little. I feel confident in my analysis given my previous experience with the Model T as I scrutinized the heck out of the first Model and even had Rockwell send me a second Model T after the first one failed to meet the standards put forward by Rockwell themselves.
There seems to be no blade chatter this time around and everything seems to be symmetrical.

Another positive is that it is slightly easier to remove a blade from the T2. Although there is no real blade over-hang there is just slight fraction of an over-hang maybe a more accurate term would be 'flush' it is much more in line with the edge of the razor so you now no longer have to really press your fingers a little bit more on the tabs to allow the flesh of your fingers to catch the taps (as was the case with the previous model iteration of the Model T) you can can now simple pull up the blade with no effort at all and your finger will immediately make contact with the tabs and allow a smooth removal of the blade. Speaking of smooth I did find the previous Model T to be a bit smoother in regards to the action on the dials as the Model T2 I got seems to be a little more difficult to adjust than the previous model and also the twist to open dial appears to be a little tighter and I have experienced some roughness but this could perhaps be remedied with continuous use or application of some mineral oil.

Overall I would say if you have owned a Model T before and liked it but couldn't get over the issues of the first one then go for it but there are plenty of decent razors out there to buy these days. The price seems to be pretty fair given that they seem to almost triple in cost locally so there is that.
I can't help but feel that there will be a Model TS in the near future and everyone will be kicking themselves for buying this one so maybe just wait until Rockwell get to that stage as this razor seems to be a mainstay and in the work in progress phases.
Don't get me wrong, it appears to be a much better razor but its really hard for me to tell people to go out and get one given that one of the major issues that people have had has not been addressed in this iteration and that is materials used. If Rockwell could at the very least used a combination of Brass and stainless steel on all parts they'd have a winner on their hands but as it stands they are not and people will continue to judge it harshly for that reason alone.