Rocnel Elite Titanium Coated

Bozley82

Ok, i wouldn't call myself the worlds greatest reviewer but i'll do my best. If i have made any spelling or grammar mistakes i apologize.

Firstly packaging. 10/10. Comes in a very sterdy slide box and even has a fabric pull tag. Looks classy. The razor sits tightly surrounded by foam and is very well protected.

I was going to get the standard stainless one, which is cheaper but thought for a razor like this i may as well go all out.

This thing is built like a tank.The finish of the razor is a dark metallic gray. The coating isn't thick like a chrome coating. You can still see the surface of the 316L stainless steel just with a shiny dark tint. I know Murat puts HOURS of work with his own two hands in to these razors. Just the base plate alone takes over 24 hours to machine and then theres many more hours spent hand finishing them. There are no machining marks, just a flawless finish, looks a million dollars.
bhYf2e2.jpg

Murat designed the Elite to be used with nothing other than a feather blade. And i will never use anything but a Feather. Until now i thought all de blades were exactly the same. Apparently not. Prepare yourself for a struggle if you try to load any other blade into the Elite besides a Feather. You can get it in but it has to be forced in and you will need a screwdriver or similar to get it out. This is not a design fault and it will still shave perfectly. A feather on the other hand just drops straight in. The tolerances are tight. 0.01 of a mm tight. The Mambas 2 thousandth of an inch when converted to mm comes out at 0.05mm. Alignment is perfect without the need for manual adjustment. Just drop the blade in and screw on the handle. Done.
LXMezAm.jpg

The shave the Elite gives is nothing short of a game changer for me. I think a shave like this called for none other than Manuels Rosa Bourbon, so out it came. In the past i have been able to use feathers but am always left feeling a little raw. Not with the Elite. The best way i could describe shaving with it is effortless. With the Feathers super sharp edge and the heavy weight of the razor you simply let it slide down your face and it erases stubble like it was never there in the first place, singing loudly with every stroke. Even with such a solid head there was no issues getting up under the nose. The end result after three passes is BBS with ZERO irritation. Amazing.

If you are looking for a new razor and have the near $300 to spend on one i think this will not disappoint. Murat is obviously an extremely talented machinist and makes an absolute top shelf product which is also very unique. Glad i took the punt. Definitely payed off.

Thank you for reading. :)

Great review and I couldn’t agree more with Bozley82’s comments. I have been using the Matt finished version. I knew about it being designed for Feather blades but of course I loaded.Gillette. As Bozley said the blade hung up and the razor did not feel right. I would go so far as to say the blade was not lying flat. Load a Feather and the razor is transformed exactly as described.

Great review and I couldn’t agree more with Bozley82’s comments. I have been using the Matt finished version. I knew about it being designed for Feather blades but of course I loaded.Gillette. As Bozley said the blade hung up and the razor did not feel right. I would go so far as to say the blade was not lying flat. Load a Feather and the razor is transformed exactly as described.

That is SUCH a bummer and rules it out for me - I have too many lifetimes of blades to start again :)

Great review @Bozley82 ! It is an amazing looking razor and sounds like it shave as well as it looks.
I didn't realise blades had that much difference in their fit - thought they were all pretty much the same - guess not! Hope Feather doesn't change its manufacturing process :LOL:

Great review @Bozley82 ! It is an amazing looking razor and sounds like it shave as well as it looks.
I didn't realise blades had that much difference in their fit - thought they were all pretty much the same - guess not! Hope Feather doesn't change its manufacturing process :LOL:
Thanks @Snooze. :)

Maybe i should take a leaf out of @nav1 book and buy 7000 feathers...

Thanks @Snooze. :)

Maybe i should take a leaf out of @nav1 book and buy 7000 feathers...

Haha
Once you're sure of a blade, don't chance it! 7k should be a minimum order!

On another note, have you tried any other blade with a shim? I'm curious to know if the added rigidity increases the efficiency enough so that you're not limited to using feathers.

The problem I had was that the Gillette blade would not slide down easily on the centre post on the cap. There must be a difference in size of the hole between blades with the Feather being a fraction larger. The post on the Rocnel but it must be right on the 5mm.

Haha
Once you're sure of a blade, don't chance it! 7k should be a minimum order!

On another note, have you tried any other blade with a shim? I'm curious to know if the added rigidity increases the efficiency enough so that you're not limited to using feathers.
Yeah its not a efficiency issue its a issue of geometry. The center cut out of a de blade is larger on a feather blade. Its only a very small difference probably in the 100th's of a mm but none the less still different. It just goes to show how tight the tolerances are on the Elite. I would show some pics as a visual refernce but atm the Elite is not in my possession, its headed over to @Cris for a short holiday.

Yeah its not a efficiency issue its a issue of geometry. The center cut out of a de blade is larger on a feather blade. Its only a very small difference probably in the 100th's of a mm but none the less still different. It just goes to show how tight the tolerances are on the Elite. I would show some pics as a visual refernce but atm the Elite is not in my possession, its headed over to @Cris for a short holiday.

I see.
I shall keep a lookout for Cris' video review.

Hey @Bozley82 and Troops! This razor took me to a whole different level yesterday with a Gillette Nacet blade in it.

Now don’t get me wrong it’s amazing with a feather too. But I have since used a Personna Med Prep and now the Nacet and they have both far exceeded the Feather in my opinion.

@Bozley82 has been extremely kind with sending this one over to have a play and get a feel for it. He has also allowed me to pop some different blades in it and unfortunately I think the fact this razor is geared towards Feather blades is actually hurting it’s reputation and sales.

The only real downside to the razor is the heavy weight to it, however I am getting used to it now.

Extremely high quality razor at a premium price point. It gives a mild/medium aggression shave with a high level of efficiency.

I was sort of hoping I would like it hahaha but having used it now I would definitely pop for the $300 if I had the cash laying around!

I was totally shocked when Irish boy @Cris told me how much this bloody razor cost :confused::eek::sick:
A couple of videos back I think I summed up the pricing on this one. It’s beautfully made by a master of his craft. Then there is the titanium coating as well. And the super tight tolerances.
I believe these razors take over 20 hours to make, and given the quality of the materials, and all other outgoings etc...... he is probably working on 10-15 bucks an hour! Makes for a good buy when you look at it like that hahahha