Rotisserie Roaster

Pics are coming, I promise. I'm working long hours atm, so going to the garage to take pics at 10pm after a 14 hour day, really isn't high on my list right now.

Each batch was about a metric cup. I wanted to use a specific size, to be able to map it properly, so I went with a cup for each.

As for cooling the beans, I didn't cool them in the drum. I laid them onto a metal baking tray, to draw out the heat. After 30-40 seconds, I moved them to another tray to do the same thing. Then I moved them back again after another 30-40 seconds. From there, I tossed them in the big colander, in about 18 degree air. My reference to the drum previously, was only stating that it itself, cooled fast to be able to be handled.

Maybe the bucket and exhaust fan are a possibility. I already have the bucket...

This little project was always a temporary solution for me. I like to tinker with these things, while my cunning plans evolve elsewhere. I can get an electric table-top roaster that will hold 300g of beans at a time, for around $800 delivered. It looks just like the large gas-fired ones, but on a smaller scale. It has the inspection port, chaff catcher, cooling tray. Just on a smaller scale. Maybe next trip to China, I will go and check them out properly. Take some coffee over and give one a road test (and share the coffee, of course).

Then again, if you care to share your KKTO plans, I may have to break out the tools (at work of course)...

Presently, I'm quite happy with the results. It is a stark improvement over the 7 minutes that the popcorn machine provides, and the evenness of the roast is really heartening.

Hi @Arnold J Rimmer , I've replied to your conversation message but will drop a few quick things here. I believe a metric cup of coffee beans is generally ~180g. You'd have to factor in your consumption to find if thats a good or too small amount though I'd imagine it'd be on the skinnier end.

Personally I'm of the belief that it's ideal if you 're able to roast the amount that you will consume within ~2weeks. Fortunately thats about 500g of green (which tends to end in ~430-450g roaster), which is easily handled by my roaster. So unless you're happy to be roasting more than weekly you'll need to factor in your consumption vs roaster capacity (once you figure out it's optimum level & also max).

I'm pretty sure I know the Chinese made ones you're talking about - from my viewing of the listings there was a lot of info missing. Sure they look good from the outside but I suspect underneath there's a pretty ordinary bit of kit that'd have gawd knows how many issues. I can't say I've read of many folks using them and for that kind of coin you could get the complete KKTO kit parts direct from KK - so I'd want something VERY good indeed if I was going that path.

An improved cooler is a no-brainer, regardless of which roaster you go with you'll want & need a good cooling solution. Plus it's doable in a few hours and also very cost effective (almost sub $50).

Economies of scale at play perhaps but it's a pricey temporary solution IMHO. As per my message very happy to share everything on my KKTO inspired design with you so will leave in your hands. Cheers, Nick :)

Hi Nick,

I have been using the oven and rotisserie drum for the last couple of weeks. It isn't too bad, but it is definitely slow. I can easily throw 2 full cups of beans in, and still be below half height.

In the meantime, I have taken your advice and started gathering the bits I need for a KKTO of my own. I have been following your build, and gleaned a lot of useful data from you and readeral, as well as KK's excellent manual.

While I'm at it, I will also make a bucket cooler, to draw down the heat from the beans, at some speed. I'll try to fashion a shelf to drop the steamer tray straight into. Should be simple enough.

I notice that Kmart has the turbo oven, but it is a 12 litre one. Do you think that will be ok? I know some are as large as 17 litres, so I imagine the heating element would be proportionately larger.

Kmart also have a 6-7 litre (guessing) steamer and pot combo, that I can make good use of. Looking at the steamer insert, I may just need to drill a few more holes toward the edges, to help drop out the chaff. Otherwise it runs the risk of building up, not falling through.

I think I have everything else on order, with the exception of a fire blanket and a base to mount everything onto. The fire blanket I will attend to shortly, and I have a ton of MDF in the warehouse, so looting from that will be simple enough. Oh, and a power supply, but that is easy to scrounge. So much junk in the gadgets drawer to pick off.

I have a couple of little tweaks in mind, that I will save for the unveiling. That way if they bomb in the interim, I won't have to mention them at all!

While I'm online, I will update this thread.

I ended up returning the Aldi oven, as it didn't reach the required temperature for roasting to the second crack.

I did make a KKTO. It took me about 3 hours, once all of the parts arrived. I added a thermocouple with built-in temperature gauge, so I can watch the progress with 1-second updates. I think I got a bit too cute though, as I also added a 105-degree elbow from the electric motor. While it works, I worry that there are too many parts in the drivetrain.

I will post pics later.