Ruined my Puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat!

renagade

I've been using Mitchell's Wool Fat for maybe 10 years. Pretty much exclusively.
I love it; the smell, the lather, the slickness.
I ran out so re-upped and decided I would grate my puck so it would fit into the container I use more uniformly. Boy what a cockup!
I tried to compact it as much as I could but I couldn't find a flat, solid, circular object to compact it all, otherwise it would just ooze back up the sides.
I tried to lather the top and all I ended up doing was brushing the tiny chunks for grated puck, moving them around and creating zero lather.

Is there anything anyone can suggest on how I can maybe restore the puck or have I essentially wasted it ??
Could I maybe slowly melt it and pour back into the plastic container?
If I can find something to compact it will that actually make a difference or will it just crumble again?

Cheers!

I've been using Mitchell's Wool Fat for maybe 10 years. Pretty much exclusively.
I ran out so re-upped and decided I would grate my puck so it would fit into the container I use more uniformly. Boy what a cockup!
I tried to compact it as much as I could but I couldn't find a flat, solid, circular object to compact it all, otherwise it would just ooze back up the sides.
I tried to lather the top and all I ended up doing was brushing the tiny chunks for grated puck, moving them around and creating zero lather.

Is there anything anyone can suggest on how I can maybe restore the puck or have I essentially wasted it ??
If I can find something to compact it will that actually make a difference or will it just crumble again?

Cheers!
Whatever you do, do not try to melt - that's always a recipe for disaster...

Cheers!
Whatever you do, do not try to melt - that's always a recipe for disaster...
NEVER!!!! Cook or microwave MWF as @alfredus said above it’s a recipe for disaster.

I grated mine and pressed it into a tub. I think if you press it into a tub and just let it dry. Have you added water. That will let the surfaces of the grated soap to soften then stick together. Mine is just like a single mass now. No individual grated bits of soap. So I ended up with a softer puck but for me that makes it more manageable.

I grated Col. Conk into a tub, different consistency but same problem until it solidifies the chunks move around and ride up the side giving a doughnut of death look.
So I compressed the grated soap using a plastic coffee tamper, most just use their fingers. If you don't like sticky fingers a bit of wax proof paper.
Bruce on shaving has a section but does not do anything special. Some freeze the soap but I dont think MWF requires it
https://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/07/23/mitchells-wool-fat-shaving-soap/

I grated Col. Conk into a tub, different consistency but same problem until it solidifies the chunks move around and ride up the side giving a doughnut of death look.
So I compressed the grated soap using a plastic coffee tamper, most just use their fingers. If you don't like sticky fingers a bit of wax proof paper.
Bruce on shaving has a section but does not do anything special. Some freeze the soap but I dont think MWF requires it
https://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/07/23/mitchells-wool-fat-shaving-soap/
I believe the Conk can be microwaved as it is glycerine based

If you insist on finding a use for the conk, use it to break in natural fibre brushes to aid in the removal of the funk*.
*Apologises to binky

Pack it down as much as you can wet like paper mache. Then leave it to dry and set. It will set to a block again pretty well. Had this happen to myself but it can be fixed time and time again. No stress. .just need to compress and set.

Apologies for hijacking your thread with Conk critics @renagade.
Can I ask the critics what is so bad about Col. Conk, admittedly #ugetwotupay4

I'm not sure wear the issue is.
I grate and pack MWF into my travel container with no problem. You just need to pack it down with your thumbs.

I remember being concerned with some of the ingredients
Interesting, that is why I asked "what is bad about it" because I may be ignorant to something others are aware of. ie: obliviously walking around smelling like a skunk without knowing :yuck:
In earlier days before joining P&C went through a phase of buying cheap convenience store soaps and aftershaves to compare with artisan and have since PIF'd all others except ColConk because I didnt have a Bay Rum soap to match A/S and admittedly did not mind smell or performance. Definitely would not buy again but kept the two pucks.

Ingredients are:
Triethanolamine, Glycerin, SLES, Water, Propylene Glycol, Soap Flakes, Stearic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Titanium Dioxide, Polysorbate-2, Fragrance

Interesting, that is why I asked "what is bad about it" because I may be ignorant to something others are aware of. ie: obliviously walking around smelling like a skunk without knowing :yuck:
In earlier days before joining P&C went through a phase of buying cheap convenience store soaps and aftershaves to compare with artisan and have since PIF'd all others except ColConk because I didnt have a Bay Rum soap to match A/S and admittedly did not mind smell or performance. Definitely would not buy again but kept the two pucks.

Ingredients are:
Triethanolamine, Glycerin, SLES, Water, Propylene Glycol, Soap Flakes, Stearic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Titanium Dioxide, Polysorbate-2, Fragrance
@Holiday if you enjoy the Col Conk Bay Rum and it doesn’t bother you and your skin, than Jack Sparrow is asking you to shut up... drink up and shave the Col Conk Bay Rum.

giphy.gif