Sample Packs?

Director

Does anyone do soap sample packs? There's so many soaps out there and they all sound so good going by the descriptions but it would be nice try some sample packs if they are available. Amazon has one from Chiseled Face but it's not available in Oz (like most things on Amazon).

Cheers

Stirling soaps do,

And if you contact suppliers I'm sure they would too.
That old saying goes "if you don't ask you won't know"

Does anyone do soap sample packs? There's so many soaps out there and they all sound so good going by the descriptions but it would be nice try some sample packs if they are available. Amazon has one from Chiseled Face but it's not available in Oz (like most things on Amazon).

Cheers

You really need to join the Paste & Cut Travelling Box ...

Stirling soaps are great IMO and the are one of the few companies, that do samples the right way.

Often samples have a very small surface area, resulting in a strenuous loading process. Inexperienced shavers often think it is a poor soap, which of course is not true. I had the same issue very early on with Mike's and almost gave up on it...very glad I didn't, because it is one of my absolute favourites now.

Stirling just cut a full sized sample thin, but it is still the full sized surface area, giving you good experience

Cheers

The Stray Whisker is sending out Australian Private Reserve Soap and Aftershave samples with orders a little bird told me...

Maggardsrazors stock plenty of samples. I have gone on a few big binges in the past

I thought APR didn't do samples..

As mentioned by others Stirling Soaps do samples very well, the samples are a decent size and have the same surface area as a full sized soap. Also as mentioned a lot of samples that one tends to get from most soap makers are tiny and as a result do not lather like a full sized soap in my experience.

Whether TSW is randomly providing samples of APR or not is of little consequence IMO. APR makes some of the best soaps and after shaves available IMO and will not disappoint. The soap base is superb and only very high quality ingredients and oils are used to make them. If you were to purchase a full sized tub and didn't like it I would be extremely surprised.

Not mentioned previously (and also not selling sample sizes) is Squadron Soaps. Another local artisans that makes a very good and affordable soap that is well worth checking out. I cannot comment on the after shaves as I have not yet tried them myself but reviews have been very positive.

For a small production artisan like our local resident makers it is not really a worthwhile exercise to be selling sample sizes. Packaging, labeling etc. still needs to be purchased and time needs to be taken to package the product. Once this is taken in to account I would expect that the retail price of the sample itself would be uneconomical to the customer and the whole exercise would therefore not be worthwhile for anyone. Large scale artisans in the US such as Stirling for example have the ability to produce well priced samples at reasonable prices as they are producing much larger quantities of product and more importantly have the luxury of a much larger market to sell too as well as much more cost effective shipping options available.

Now for the disclaimer. My comments above regarding both APR and Squadron Soaps are my own honest and genuine opinion. They are in no way influenced by any personal affiliation that I may have with the Artisans themselves.

Thanks for all the replies. nsavage, yup I do have 1 APR and a couple of Squadons already and I agree they are very nice.

Edit: Tried to get some Stirling soap samples but they wanted $51 USD for shipping so I cancelled that quicksmart. :)

Plenty of other choices in this thread though.

If people want samples of AP Reserve and they are ordering from The Stray Whisker, if you leave a brief note in the comments when placing your order saying you would like to try it I am sure Con and Kim will accommodate you :)

Edit: Tried to get some Stirling soap samples but they wanted $51 USD for shipping so I cancelled that quicksmart. :)

https://www.mymallbox.com/referrals/signupwith/B7268 - thank me later. You get $5 credit on that link (as will I when you send something). I wanted to get some watch straps worth $20 and they wanted USD$50 for postage. Anywhere with expensive postage from the US you can use this, and it is excellent for consolidation. Also handy for Amazon sellers that won't send to AU, or Massdrop items that are 'US only' - Kershaw Knives I am looking at you!

Awesome service, although they are having some growing pains, and can take up to a week for them to process your packages into your account. Prices are far better than ShipItTo or similar, no membership cost for a start, 90-day storage, repack fees are low.