"Science" from Gillette

The other article on 'the perfect shave' is even BETTER! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...Scientist-reveals-really-need-razor-face.html

In case you want to know, here is how:

Before the shave, hydrate the hair by washing the skin with a gentle cleanser: This softens the hair and significantly reduces the force needed to cut it. [Yeah, we do wash our faces before shaving and wet (OK, OK, hydrate) the hair]

Apply plenty of shave gel: This provides a protective anti-friction layer and improves razor glide for a smoother, more comfortable shave. [A decent lather with a shave soap seems to do exactly the same job!]

Shave with a multi-blade razor using light strokes: Gillette said the razor should do the work, not the person shaving. [NO PRESSURE - what have we been saying guys!]

Change direction: Begin by shaving with the grain of the hair before switching and going against this grain. [So in other words, learn your beard growth direction and do multiple passes]

Make sure blades are not old or dull: The lifespan of razors can vary depending on how often they are used and how hard. As a general rule if the razor begins to drag or doesn't cut as closely as before, replace the blades. [Yep, very important - and much easier with a cheap DE blade than an expensive cartridge]

Use aftershave: This can be any product containing moisturiser to rehydrate and comfort the skin. Many aftershaves contain alcohol that acts as an astringent to sterilise the skin and provide a barrier against infection. [Snore - we all do that ...]

Thus the headline could read - 'Gillette scientists confirm DE shavers have got it all together' ...

Wait, why the multi-blades then?

Well according to the good lady Doctor again - 'in the case of multiple-blade models, the first blade pulls the hair up, the second cuts it, the third blade acts in a similar way to the first, and so on.'

So, 3 blade goes
  1. Yank
  2. Cut
  3. Yank
Five blade goes
  1. Yank
  2. Cut
  3. Yank
  4. Cut
  5. Yank
The incredible Dorco Pace must go -
  1. Yank
  2. Cut
  3. Yank
  4. Cut
  5. Yank
  6. Cut
  7. Yank
Does anybody really beleive that this NOT tearing your face to shreads?

Seriously dudes - get a DE (or SE or injector) - one SHARP blade - slice ...

Done

EDIT: It seems I'm wrong about this -

'Advocates of the safety razor claim that it takes a week or more to learn how much force to use with the old-school device and the appropriate shaving angle, so I asked Vanoosthuyze if it’s possible that single-blade razors could be superior, if you take the time to learn the proper technique.

“Categorically, no,” she said. “Every time we add a blade, the comfort of the shave has improved.”'

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...c2822e-f041-11e1-ba17-c7bb037a1d5b_story.html

Not only wrong but 'categorically' wrong ...

Last edited:
Here she is BTW -

ino_s3_i1_pop_500x375.jpg

It seems that - Dr. Vanoosthuyze studied at the University of Ghent, Belgium, where she graduated as a pharmacist.She has a PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences, studying residues of illegal drugs in animal breeding.

She 'joined P&G Beauty & Grooming in 1997. She worked on the development of a revolutionary new in-shower moisturizer (Olay® Moisturinse™) and on the development of the Olay® Quench™ body lotion range. She is an inventor on 20 published patent applications on these technologies. In 2006,she joined the Gillette® Shaving Technology area, which allowed her to complement her skin care expertise with Gillette®'s tremendous expertise in blade design and hair removal technology.'

So qualifications in a field that seems to have little relevance to shaving and a lifelong career with P&G ...

Last edited:
I am sure they thought this was scientific in its time. Click for link to ebay auction.

I am sure they thought this was scientific in its time. Click for link to ebay auction.

For those REALLY early morning shaves ...

Yeah - but when you read what she says about getting a good shave - we do it anyway, just for a whole lot less money to P&G!

Sure, sure. The conflict of interest statement was levelled at the following statement which is purely an attempt at not admitting a DE/SE (or even an SR) can be as good if, not better than a multi-blade cart.

Categorically, no. Every time we add a blade, the comfort of the shave has improved.

That's where she trips and falls over her pay check.

I so hope that is 12v (or similarly low voltage!) I can't read the foreign langaue ebay advert. What was the idea? Heating the blade?

Sure, sure. The conflict of interest statement was levelled at the following statement which is purely an attempt at not admitting a DE/SE (or even an SR) can be as good if, not better than a multi-blade cart. ...

'Categorically, no. Every time we add a blade, the comfort of the shave has improved.'

That's where she trips and falls over her pay check.

Yeah, would be fascinating to see if they have done ANY research to back up that statement :)