Scuttles

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
I know there's info out there on P&C on scuttles but it seems peppered about the site in various threads and random posts (so unlike P&C!). So with Winter around the corner - and sooks like me not looking forward to the prospect of a cold lather - I thought we might benefit from a single reference thread on scuttles - esp. the dramas of sourcing them here in Australia.

We do have a couple of makers on-shore. HG Pottery comes to mind, and @MrT recently discovered En Ceramic Studio and Gallery in Artarmon (SYD). As individual tastes vary so widely, I'd be keen to list any more local makers in this thread.

These individual tastes also tempt our eyes to wander beyond out shores. Names such as:
  • Dirty Bird
  • Robert's Feats of Clay
  • Steve Woodhead Ceramics
  • SWK (Schwarzweisskeramik)
  • Yoresh
come to mind. If there are more please add them to the thread. It gives us a little more choice, but we Aussies have issues ordering from overseas or have our hearts in our mouths for the 6-12 weeks it takes from ordering and paying until accepting delivery of what we hope is a single integrated piece of pottery. This is where we witness the struggle between aesthetic integrity and sheer impatience.

So please share all things scuttle-related, your thoughts, images of your favourite scuttles - either that you have or that you want, etc.

Kicking things off. I am on the hunt for my 'ideal' scuttle. I've done a few random Image searches which can be thoroughly frustrating as I can't find the makers for random images on random forums. I mean this scuttle has great width, a nice glaze, good ridging and handle, small spout, but alas the image was embedded in a post on body-building forum by an Aussie member with no reference or subsequent clarification to its origins...and "NO!" I refuse to sign up to ask the question...and suffer the talk of protein powders, curl enhancers, ideal mirror angles, etc.
9kxjir.jpg

So anyone have an idea who this maker might be?

Also what about this scuttle don't you like?

That scuttle is from Steve Woodhead. I have the exact same one sitting in my cupboard.
...oh it's yours....well then sorry mate I didn't mean to have a go about the protein powders and the suchlike. Hmmm....:cautious:

Bought direct or via the likes of Etsy? So how it is? How does it need to be improved? How much will it cost to send from your cupboard to mine?

Last edited:
@stillshunter How's the foot in mouth disease progressing mate ?

...oh it's yours....well then sorry mate I didn't mean to have a go about the protein powders and the suchlike. Hmmm....:cautious:

Bought direct or via the likes of Etsy? So how it is? How does it need to be improved? How much will it cost to send from your cupboard to mine?

Sorry mate...that one's not mine but I have the same scuttle and in the same colour. You can't tell them apart. I'm no muscle man, that's for certain.
Purchased directly from Steve. He has (or had) an eBay store. It was slightly cheaper to buy direct.

For my (hot water) situation, a plug, like you would see on a GeorgeTown Pottery scuttle, to better retain heat would be ideal. Thicker walls maybe.

Don't use it much since my preference changed to face lathering. They look swanky but more luxury than practical.

Don't use it much since my preference changed to face lathering. They look swanky but more luxury than practical.
That's what I fear for myself. They sound da bomb (and look it to). But as I predominantly face lather, it wouldn't be put to as much use.

But- I'd be more keen for a small one just for the brush. That way, it'd keep the lather warm. I already use a mug filled with water to soak a brush and dip it into for more water. So it could be double purposes for either a brush warmer or simply for water.

Anyone seen such a thing?

That's what I fear for myself. They sound da bomb (and look it to). But as I predominantly face lather, it wouldn't be put to as much use.

But- I'd be more keen for a small one just for the brush. That way, it'd keep the lather warm. I already use a mug filled with water to soak a brush and dip it into for more water. So it could be double purposes for either a brush warmer or simply for water.

Some of the ones that Emi made were smallish... Maybe go visit and make an offer for one of them...

http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/australian-brush-scuttle.233/

Dirty Bird make brush scuttles, @filobiblic . Unfortunately the potter broke her wrist so production is at a standstill. They do look mighty spesh though.

I also scored one from Vinnies for the princely sum of $1. I use it every face lather - wouldn't/couldn't be without it now. Just leave it in the hot water I have in the sink and it keeps everything toasty. It's the reason I so want a scuttle.

o185T2L.jpg

I also scored one from Vinnies for the princely sum of $1. I use it every face lather - wouldn't/couldn't be without it now. Just leave it in the hot water I have in the sink and it keeps everything toasty. It's the reason I so want a scuttle.
I'd be up for a $1 brush scuttle/mug too! Great buying.

You did see my thick walled crystal vestubile I use to sometimes soak/bowl later, right ?

You did see my thick walled crystal vestubile I use to sometimes soak/bowl later, right ?
Yep. It's a beautiful crystalline vestibule alright. But it's not something I'd leave in the bathroom with my young ankle-biters running loose...

I use an Old Spice mug to soak the brush in before face lathering. No need for a scuttle IMHO

I use an Old Spice mug to soak the brush in before face lathering. No need for a scuttle IMHO
But isn't it cold in Canberra?!? How will your face cope with the chill?!!?

But isn't it cold in Canberra?!? How will your face cope with the chill?!!?

Outside it is - often in the minus territory during winter BUT I don't shave outside!

Second point - I am married, to a woman, they like to be warm, our house is warm.

I could use a summer menthol type product all year around if I wanted :)