SE razors (Gem blade)

Just 17 days and then...
2018 Sabbatical Fail
Some months ago I picked up my first SE, an Ever Ready Featherweight, I loved the shave and since then I have picked up a few more.
Today I took the opportunity to take them all out and give them a clean .
Here is a picture for anyone who is interested, in approximate chronological order.
Left; Kampfe Star (my earliest) , Right; Gem Contour II (the last Gem produced).
Top row; Gem. Bottom row; Ever Ready.
Heads at top; USA made. Heads at bottom; British made

21055311_1665966056749159_7336829401966852428_o.jpg

Top (Gem): Damaskeene, 1912, 1912, 1912, Junior, MM OC, MM CP, MM BT, MM BT (bullseye), Featherweight, Push Button.

Bottom (Ever Ready): 1909, 1912, 1912, 1914, 1924, 1912 (1950's), Streamline, Heavy flat top, Featherweight.

I have enough now, no more!

Great collection @Sticky ! I too love the GEMs - the MMOC and the 1912 just give stunning shaves. They became milder as time went on. And the blades last for ages! I think the blade stiffness is the thing I really notice compared to DEs. It really is a "straight on a stick":)

Great collection @Sticky ! I too love the GEMs - the MMOC and the 1912 just give stunning shaves. They became milder as time went on. And the blades last for ages! I think the blade stiffness is the thing I really notice compared to DEs. It really is a "straight on a stick":)
Thanks @Snooze. Yes, many of these give a fantastic shave, maybe a little aggressive in the early ERs and a little mild in the late Gems but in the middle there are many fantastic razors! I much prefer them to a DE shave, generally, though that's not to say there aren't some great DEs. One day, maybe, I'll get rid of the stick and try a straight

Nice! I've recently discovered SEs and they are great! I'm excited to see some more affordable modern GEM style SEs in the coming months.

Yes, some affordable modern SEs would be great. I know the PAA Gem style is supposed to be out soon and I'll probably get one. The others I have seen are expensive SS razors, such as the ATT G1. Its strange how the modern Gem SE makers seem to want to make them as a 3 piece razor, like a DE. The head design of a 1912 is a classic, simple and elegant, I guess to make a modern version in small quantities is not so easy but it would be great to see.

Yes, some affordable modern SEs would be great. I know the PAA Gem style is supposed to be out soon and I'll probably get one. The others I have seen are expensive SS razors, such as the ATT G1. Its strange how the modern Gem SE makers seem to want to make them as a 3 piece razor, like a DE. The head design of a 1912 is a classic, simple and elegant, I guess to make a modern version in small quantities is not so easy but it would be great to see.

I'm waiting on the PAA as well. I don't know if there's any word on it, but I'd love for Italian Barber to do one. I'd love to see a few options under $100.

I think you might have more than me...
I've got a 1901 Gem jnr (pat. 1900 but I've been told it was probably made 1911), a damaskeene 1912 in case, 5 more gem/every-ready 1912s, baby handled travel gem in case, 1914 model (has a little strop handle/blade holder hidden in the handle), 1924 model (flip top ever-ready*), clog-pruf micromatic, 2x open comb micromatics, and the British 1912 and stropper set. Most in original cases but a loose caseless 1912 and micromatic were what I used daily back in the day.

*I'm only going through my razors for the first time in years today, and don't pack away a 1924 model with soap residue on it, it ate through the rivets/spot welds holding the spring to the lid

I think you might have more than me...
I've got a 1901 Gem jnr (pat. 1900 but I've been told it was probably made 1911), a damaskeene 1912 in case, 5 more gem/every-ready 1912s, baby handled travel gem in case, 1914 model (has a little strop handle/blade holder hidden in the handle), 1924 model (flip top ever-ready*), clog-pruf micromatic, 2x open comb micromatics, and the British 1912 and stropper set. Most in original cases but a loose caseless 1912 and micromatic were what I used daily back in the day.

*I'm only going through my razors for the first time in years today, and don't pack away a 1924 model with soap residue on it, it ate through the rivets/spot welds holding the spring to the lid
Sounds like you like a SE too! Would be good to see some pictures, the stropper set sounds good and a 1914 with a holder in the handle I don't think I've seen one of those

Yeah, I love an SE
years ago I used to post in TOS (theoriginalsafety forums), but I never bothered to migrate to the tos2 as my acquisition phase was over by then.
I just gave tos2 a quick browse and there's a thread there saying 3 new SE razors planned, maybe 4?
E: I see what you mean about the screw in design with new ones. The SE wasn't just the original safety razor, it was the original easy spring loading razor and the original twist to open razor. Makes no sense to take features out.

Last edited:
Sounds like you like a SE too! Would be good to see some pictures, the stropper set sounds good and a 1914 with a holder in the handle I don't think I've seen one of those
I borrowed a camera because i'm about to list most of my DEs on ebay soon.
Here's the 1914 with stropper handle:
BNNN3Wr.jpg

28SY6fo.jpg

w1KHbk1.jpg

Here's the circa 1950 british gem 1912 set
EpJ6Dkd.jpg

aatRYeD.jpg

bqISQ8S.jpg

Fg9U8EE.jpg

I borrowed a camera because i'm about to list most of my DEs on ebay soon.
Here's the 1914 with stropper handle:
BNNN3Wr.jpg

28SY6fo.jpg

w1KHbk1.jpg

Here's the circa 1950 british gem 1912 set
EpJ6Dkd.jpg

aatRYeD.jpg

bqISQ8S.jpg

Fg9U8EE.jpg

Those are some great SEs! Thanks for the pics. The stropper set is really nice but the 1914 with the stropper handle is great, I don't expect there are many of them about!