Shampoo Bars

Glen

Just ordered a few shampoo bars to try out, 2 from small Aussie makers and one JR Liggett bar from the US I'm presuming. Anyone have a favourite? Does anyone use them?

Last edited:
I've used and made them.

They're notoriously difficult to properly formulate for many people - perhaps easier for guys but I was making for my wife - and whilst you can make soap that works really well for most folks skins hair & scalp brings about another 3-4 different variables into the mix.

If you can find one that works well for YOU they're a great idea as shampoo/conditioner are full of real nasty stuff.

Once every one used a solid soap bar to wash their hair and it did a great job, then someone made a "better" product called shampoo (actually a detergent), gave it lots of marketing, added a conditioner and all of a sudden it cost more to wash your hair and was not as good.

Sounds a bit like the history of shaving.

However the main reason that shampoo overtook soap for washing hair was because the soap manufacturers removed the glycerin (which they sold as conditioner) and replaced it with fillers and binders and the resulting soap left your hair a mess.

Most cold and probably hot processed soaps will work as a good shampoo because the glycerin is retained (which acts as a conditioner) in the bar and there are no fillers to cling like scum to your hair.

For shampoo you need a mild soap as you do not want to strip away too much of the natural oils, but still remove dust and dirt, Castile (olive oil) soap is considered the mildest, and with the addition of castor oil it foams better and adds a bit of shine. So our shampoo bars are and 80/20 mix of olive and castor oils and we have had enough feedback over the past 18 years to convince us that we got this mix right.

Once every one used a solid soap bar to wash their hair and it did a great job, then someone made a "better" product called shampoo (actually a detergent), gave it lots of marketing, added a conditioner and all of a sudden it cost more to wash your hair and was not as good.

Sounds a bit like the history of shaving.

However the main reason that shampoo overtook soap for washing hair was because the soap manufacturers removed the glycerin (which they sold as conditioner) and replaced it with fillers and binders and the resulting soap left your hair a mess.

Most cold and probably hot processed soaps will work as a good shampoo because the glycerin is retained (which acts as a conditioner) in the bar and there are no fillers to cling like scum to your hair.

For shampoo you need a mild soap as you do not want to strip away too much of the natural oils, but still remove dust and dirt, Castile (olive oil) soap is considered the mildest, and with the addition of castor oil it foams better and adds a bit of shine. So our shampoo bars are and 80/20 mix of olive and castor oils and we have had enough feedback over the past 18 years to convince us that we got this mix right.
I use Liggett's and will continue to do so.
Both my daughters also use Liggetts and are happy to continue with it,I also used Washpool Soaperie Gentlemen's grooming soap,not as good but is also used as a body soap,but not a shave soap.
If buying from US get from iHerb,best prices plus under AU $6 postage from California,free postzge over $56 AU and all prices in Oz dollars.Whilst there try AubreyOrganics brushless shave cream the only brushless cream that works IMHO

I use Liggett's and will continue to do so.

This just confirms (to me at least) that most cold process soaps will make a good shampoo/conditioner.

It is interesting to note that Liggett's original formula bar uses saponified olive oil as the main ingredient.

Interesting. I put the clippers through my hair every 3-4 months, so it is fairly short. I've just been using soap on it for years now - and prior to that shower gel.

Haven't used shampoo in close to a decade I think. Might have to find and try a "shampoo" soap to see if I notice any difference.

Just ordered a few shampoo bars to try out, 2 from small Aussie makers and one JR Liggett bar from the US I'm presuming. Anyone have a favourite? Does anyone use them?
Who were the
Interesting. I put the clippers through my hair every 3-4 months, so it is fairly short. I've just been using soap on it for years now - and prior to that shower gel.

Haven't used shampoo in close to a decade I think. Might have to find and try a "shampoo" soap to see if I notice any difference.
When my hair is short I just rinse when showering,but towards the time when a cut is due the Liggetts is great,the girls love Liggett's with their long hair but yeah I think rinse or soap is fine for the follically challenged.
Kiss My Face olive oil soap works well,ingredients olive oil,water and salt

Who were the

When my hair is short I just rinse when showering,but towards the time when a cut is due the Liggetts is great,the girls love Liggett's with their long hair but yeah I think rinse or soap is fine for the follically challenged.
Kiss My Face olive oil soap works well,ingredients olive oil,water and salt

http://www.natureshop.com.au/ns_w_shampoo_bar.php?Cat=AD&Sub-Cat=31
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Travel-S...bar-shampoo-/271968142439?hash=item3f52908467

I've been using JR Liggets for several years now - I prefer the Tea Tree & Hemp Oil but the others I've tried are also good.

I've also used Nubian Heritage African Black Soap - which isn't a shampoo bar works exceedingly well.

I find that the bars tend to leave my hair feeling less oily than most liquid shampoos do.

Liggetts moisturizing formula is the one that suits me best.

I never need conditioner and it also gives my fine hair some volume.

I tried 3 others from liggetts and they all left my hair weighed down and heavy/oily feeling.

I have used Liggetts for about a year with good results.
Currently I am using Kiss My Face olive oil soap with similar results.
Kiss My Face soap composed of olive oil,salt,water..that's all,also great as a pre shave,available from I herb

I'm still using a homemade olive/castor bar for shampoo duties. It's sensational. I have also replaced conditioner with a 1 in 5 apple cider vinegar solution which is soon much better than conditioner, I had no idea.

I've had good results with the Tassie-made shampoo bars from Beauty and the Bees. Have tried both the Tamanian Beer and Morrocan Mud bars - good stuff. Have also tried the Honey Silk Conditioner Bar and it is a beaut.

I have some DR Harris Coconut shampoo bar travel pucks, but yet to try.

I've had good results with the Tassie-made shampoo bars from Beauty and the Bees. Have tried both the Tamanian Beer and Morrocan Mud bars - good stuff. Have also tried the Honey Silk Conditioner Bar and it is a beaut.

I have some DR Harris Coconut shampoo bar travel pucks, but yet to try.

Well I'm going to find out what all the fuss is about - just order one of their Tassie Beer bars :)

Hope it goes well, @Mark1966,

A tip - best to get the bar back to a dry spot after you have applied - they can continue to slowly react with water if still in a shower area. They make excellent functional Huon Pine soap holders - I use a couple of large ones for my shampoo bar and glycerin face bar, and a small one for my alum bar.
Here is a link: http://www.beebeauty.com.au/products/pine-soap-dish-large/
The large ones are oblong, and the small ones square.

Thanks for the tip @TomG !

I might grab one with the next order, initially I was just planning on resting on a dish or something outside the shower.

Cheers