Shannons Forest City Fern soap (scent?).

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
My 2 soaps arrived from Maggards today.
NO Two Kings, and Shannons Forest City Fern.
The Shannons soap has a distinct smell of liniment...is that what a Fougere soap smells like?
Not what I expected. Is that a normal scent for this soap?
Haven't used either of the soaps yet, but will give the Shannons a go tomorrow to see how it goes when lathered.

The Shannons soap has a distinct smell of liniment...is that what a Fougere soap smells like?
Umm, no. Fougere comes in lots of forms (and never smells like fern), but imagine Brut for instance (very briefly :yuck:) and you'll get the idea... (edit: or TOBS Jermyn St, or those bottles of Vulgari stuff we used to get in airline travel packs...)

Last edited:
My 2 soaps arrived from Maggards today.
NO Two Kings, and Shannons Forest City Fern.
Haven't used either of the soaps yet, but will give the Shannons a go tomorrow to see how it goes when lathered.

Fougere is French for Fern. Your typical fougere should have 3-4 common scent notes of lavender, oakmoss, geranium and tonka bean in the form of coumarin . The original scent inspiration for a fougere comes from the original fougere scent "Fougere Royal" by Paul Parquet back in the late 1800's. The original Fougere Royal fragrance was the perfumers interpretation of what fresh fern smells like. Examples area classic aromatic fougere such Faberge Brut or a more modern amber fougere such Dior Sauvage.

First shave in with the Shannons and it was OK. Not stellar, not 'Wow'...just OK.
Lather was (on a scale of 'Meh' to 'OK') tending towards OK.
Both soaps (haven't tried the NO yet) were showing signs of dehydration (shrinkage), so have given each one a wee sprinkle of water to hydrate them again...and this may help the Shannons.
Still smells like liniment though. I use a lot of lavender, and I know what lavender smells like.
The 'lavender top note' isn't there.
It smells more like my Granny is visiting me.
I'd actually PIF/toss it quite happily but postage to Australia makes that impractical. Sorry guys...but you aren't really missing out on much anyway.
For me it's a 'Don't buy'.
Stirling, Gentleman's Quarter, Arlington, etc easily beat it.

First shave in with the Shannons and it was OK. Not stellar, not 'Wow'...just OK.
Lather was (on a scale of 'Meh' to 'OK') tending towards OK.
Both soaps (haven't tried the NO yet) were showing signs of dehydration (shrinkage), so have given each one a wee sprinkle of water to hydrate them again...and this may help the Shannons.
Still smells like liniment though. I use a lot of lavender, and I know what lavender smells like.
The 'lavender top note' isn't there.
It smells more like my Granny is visiting me.
I'd actually PIF/toss it quite happily but postage to Australia makes that impractical. Sorry guys...but you aren't really missing out on much anyway.
For me it's a 'Don't buy'.
Stirling, Gentleman's Quarter, Arlington, etc easily beat it.
Sorry to hear it's a dud. I'm generally not keen on fougères either (with some exceptions) but I've never come across one that smelt of liniment. Hopefully you'll be happier with the NO2K. Don't worry about the shrinkage, that's normal and will disappear the first time you lather it up.

1g7vq7-2.jpg

I emailed Shannons and asked about the liniment smell (and the lack of Lavender).
They say that there is Wintergreen in this soap (hence the liniment smell), and have offered a replacement as they feel that maybe the lid has been loose in storage and the Lavender scent has gone.
I will try it for another week to see how it responds to being used.
Nice that Shannons stand behind their product though.

I emailed Shannons and asked about the liniment smell (and the lack of Lavender).
They say that there is Wintergreen in this soap (hence the liniment smell), and have offered a replacement as they feel that maybe the lid has been loose in storage and the Lavender scent has gone.

Interesting response about the lavender disappearing.

Interesting response about the lavender disappearing.
Well I think I have 'understood' this correctly (my italics).

"...I always appreciate feedback -- positive or negative. I can't find solutions if I don't know the problems!
I hope it improves on rehydration. The goat milk soaps due tend to shrink, but not horribly, so hopefully the soap is ok.
Maybe the lid wasn't fitting right. That would explain not being able to smell lots of lavender.
There should only be a hint of a wintergreen scent. It shouldn't really be overpowering. There should be notes of sandalwood, cedarwood and bergamot, as well as musk, oakmoss, coumarin. There's about 15 ingredients in this one.
I do love this scent, so it makes me a little sad when something goes wrong...."

Sadly for me...no Lavender, buts heaps of Wintergreen (liniment) smell.
As for all those other 'notes'...maybe a whiff of Cedarwood, and a hint of Musk.
I will keep using it. Not one of my favourites though.
I do have the NO Two Kings sitting there to use later on so all is good.
Can't get NO from B&B at the moment as only shipping to Australia. (Come on now guys...isn't it time you stopped messing about and just 'annex' NZ?
Walk on in and plant your flag sort of thing).
Anyway, dang....decided I also need/want a NO Firefighter ('cos I used to be one until my neck was messed up at a fire...and that's a cool wee soap label too).

Well I think I have 'understood' this correctly (my italics).

"...I always appreciate feedback -- positive or negative. I can't find solutions if I don't know the problems!
I hope it improves on rehydration. The goat milk soaps due tend to shrink, but not horribly, so hopefully the soap is ok.
Maybe the lid wasn't fitting right. That would explain not being able to smell lots of lavender.
There should only be a hint of a wintergreen scent. It shouldn't really be overpowering. There should be notes of sandalwood, cedarwood and bergamot, as well as musk, oakmoss, coumarin. There's about 15 ingredients in this one.
I do love this scent, so it makes me a little sad when something goes wrong...."

Sadly for me...no Lavender, buts heaps of Wintergreen (liniment) smell.
As for all those other 'notes'...maybe a whiff of Cedarwood, and a hint of Musk.
I will keep using it. Not one of my favourites though.
I do have the NO Two Kings sitting there to use later on so all is good.
Can't get NO from B&B at the moment as only shipping to Australia. (Come on now guys...isn't it time you stopped messing about and just 'annex' NZ?
Walk on in and plant your flag sort of thing).
Anyway, dang....decided I also need/want a NO Firefighter ('cos I used to be one until my neck was messed up at a fire...and that's a cool wee soap label too).

Currently one of the most economic ways to purchase Noble Otter soaps is to purchase from Top of the Chain and order any 6 soaps, non alcoholic splashes and or balms, or have your own US mail forwarding service where you can also send alcoholic splashes as well.

Currently one of the most economic ways to purchase Noble Otter soaps is to purchase from Top of the Chain and order any 6 soaps, non alcoholic splashes and or balms, or have your own US mail forwarding service where you can also send alcoholic splashes as well.
Why any 6 soaps?

Come on now guys...isn't it time you stopped messing about and just 'annex' NZ?
Walk on in and plant your flag sort of thing...
Perhaps the other way around might be a better idea. Australia could become the West Island. You could kick our buffoons out of government, and everyone would thank you (maybe except for the buffoons).

The only problem is that mainland Australia is the North Island to Tasmania, that would leave two North Islands. So I guess Tasmania could just secede from the Commonwealth, maybe as the Sovereign Banana Republic of Tasmania. I don't think anyone would notice...

There you go. I've just solved half the world's problems with a few taps on a keypad.

No charge.

Why any 6 soaps?

In a single order TOTC allow 6 products to be sent in one package. That cost is CAD$25. With 6 soaps it is around AUD $4.50 per soap for delivery which is very good compared to other options.

Lately the parcel forwarding services from the North America have increased prices over the last 6 months approx 30-40%, citing demand being the reason.:rolleyes:

Shannon sent me another email (seems like a nice bloke)...

"If you're feeling brave, you can help my soap along. You can put 5-10 ml of water on it and nuke in brief stints in the microwave (5-10 seconds, don't overdo it!) until it's soft. Then you can stir the water in and it should mix the smells around.

Lavenders and citruses tend to fade from the surfaces of soap fast anyway, but one that's been exposed to crazy conditions in transport is worse. Natural soaps are not without their drawbacks!"

I had mentioned to him that the soaps took 1 month lounging around various International Airports before reaching NZ.
So they probably had a rough time in storage anyway.
I will try this trick to see 'what happens'!
I note the mention of the fugitive scents of Lavender, and Citrus.

....put 5-10 ml of water on it and nuke in brief stints in the microwave (5-10 seconds, don't overdo it!) until it's soft. Then you can stir the water in...
I did as Shannon mentioned and that did help somewhat.
Firstly the soap 'works' better (just needed hydrating').
Secondly the scent has lost the mainly liniment smell I was getting.
Not a top tier soap but passable now.
For similar money you get into Stirling and Noble Otter territory.
For less money it's Blue Devil...so it's no contest really.
Shannons is OK and I only bought to pad out an online order.
Will stick with NZ and Aus soaps now.

What is it with girls making shaving soap anyway?
Looks like your reality cheque might have bounced. :p Lots of girls are making our shaving soap, and they're doing just fine. Half of Stirling is Amanda, you have Michelle at Mystic Water, Alex at Whispers From The Woods, the eponymous Catie's Bubbles, and I'm only getting started.

And pink used (until comparatively recently) to be regarded as a masculine colour (and blue feminine).

Now I've found some heels I think would look just great on you... :p