Shapton water stones

Ybbor

I picked up a number of shapton stones and am enjoying learning how to hone up a razor. Many theories on how best to do it. Anyone out there using hones?

I picked up a number of shapton stones and am enjoying learning how to hone up a razor. Many theories on how best to do it. Anyone out there using hones?

I don't think there's anybody on this forum so you're the guru. Aside from having a bit of a knife fetish, as an (ex) shipwright I've sharpened any carpentry tool you can think of going back to the ones they used to build the Ark with. Strangely enough I don't have any desire to start straight shaving. I'd be quite happy for a barber to do it but I always want to get out of a barber shop as quickly as possible so that's not going to happen in a hurry. But doing it yourself just looks a bit clumsy with all that skin stretching.

You should try SEs. A lot of straight shavers appreciate SE shaving and refer to them as straights on a stick. Which is historically pretty acurate actually.

I agree with you! Straights were a bit of a leap of faith and starting up was an adventure. Quite a few cold sweats.

However now I love them. The straight to DE is like DE to carts. SE lol another AD?

I'd like to ask the guru a Q. :cheesy:
I have an old oil stone which is used for sharpening chisels, plane blades etc.
Are these anything like what you use for razor blades?

Yes similar. The important thing is knowing the grit size. I use 320 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000 16000 30000. This is excessive but works well. Most start 1000 4000 8000 then pasted strop.

Sharpening is sharpening no dark art although using a hone took me longer to learn than shaving with a straight.