Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

No clove, no purple.

Razor: E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (10)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann 'Rhapsody'

No issues here, nice easy 2-passer with no need for balm or alum. 14 hours later I feel some stubble but no meaningful growth.

These vintage Wilkies seem to work better and last longer on a mild setting. 10 shaves down and no pulling or issues.

Sunday 21 June 2015

204518d1434888976-sun-june-21st-sat-june-27th-sotd-22062015.jpg

RazorGuy Shave!

It passed too much time since I last made a shaving soap. Simply too much time and I regret that. Yesterday I took my pots and scales back to work and made a new shaving soap. I modified and improved a very old recipe of mine - in my opinion, the best I ever made at those times - and the result amazed me immensely. The soap performs the way I wanted it to be: creamy, thick, velvety, with a moisturizing effect on the skin, last but not the least, easing the razor's sliding on the skin. I am very happy with the soap I made and, although I am thinking about changing something in the recipe and making technique, I got an incredible smooth and comfortable shave. For the occasion - and this was a special occasion - I wanted to use the very best, the most beautiful and exclusive razor I have in my collection: Mastro Livi CarboInox Snake Razor and I guess I could not make a better choice. An incredible razor, giving the very best shave and, by the way, a great soap supported by my pre-shave oil and my Thyrrenus after shave. A superb RazorGuy shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Badger 63167
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox Snake, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

@razorguy that straight still is a thing of beauty.
Will Mastro Livi still provide flights/accomodation as a part of the deal to see it made ?
Am so envious of it.

BTW, what's the special occasion ?
Finally putting your products into production ?

@razorguy that straight still is a thing of beauty.

Thank you, sir! I agree 100%: this Mastro Livi CarboInox Snake Razor certainly is the most artistic and beautiful razor in my collection. Just another proof of the craftsmanship, talent, art, excellence and supreme genius of Mastro Livi!

Will Mastro Livi still provide flights/accomodation as a part of the deal to see it made?
Am so envious of it.

This certainly is a great idea! I will tell Mastro Livi about that! He would certainly be very happy to welcome you to his laboratory. I am sure you would enjoy the visit quite a lot!

BTW, what's the special occasion?
Finally putting your products into production ?

The special occasion was using my latest shaving soap which resulted to be a super performing soap. It was too much time since I last made a shaving soap. Shame on me. And, no, my products are not into production: they are home made, as usual, but I have a lot of fun in making and using them! :)

Razor: R41 (2013) on a Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap: Penhaligon's English Fern (vintage - old formulation)
Aftershave: Floid Vigoroso

Second shave with this blade/razor combo. The technique was much better from the start this time - nice close shave. Decided to try the Floid rather than something more restorative - it showed me all the micro-nicks and abrasions!

Still a good shave overall. Certainly nice and close ...

Reactions: MrT
Today my Micromatic Bullet Tip was the SE of choice with a SS GEM blade with I think 7 shaves.
I played around over the weekend with a further soap recipe and this one was a bit of a surprise. A nice surprise.
A great super smooth 2 pass shave. Gotta love an SE shave.

Brush the Hoar from @alfredus - This continues to loosen up and breakin. Creates rich creamy lather with virtually no effort.
Razor Micromatic BT with GEM blade
Soap - my newest surprise.
Cold water rinse.

Last edited:
Pre-Shave Prep Derma Protective Cream
Brush Vie-Long Horse (13066???)
Soap B&M prototype #1
Razor Phoenix Double open-Comb
Blade Polsilver SI (5)
Post Shave Alum, Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & ê Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap

Really getting the hang of the horse hair brush. Creates bucket loads of lather with only a short load time. Polsilver might be on the way out. Not sure whether to try a feather in the Dbl OC or switch to the Gillette New LC

Lovely shave to start the week

Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon White Horse (Fan)
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor: Mongoose with Bulldog handle
Blade: Kai's Captain Mild (8)
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel and Myrsol Blue

My thanks and a shout out to @alfredus for the Haslinger Schafmilch soap and persuading me to purchase the Epsilon brush. Also to Juan from @Gifts&Care.com for finding me the brush after they had sold out.

The Epsilon is my first Horse. At 26mm it is also the largest knot of any brush that I own. The tips are quite soft and feel luxurious. There's a lot of hair in this brush but not one has shed to date (2 weeks of hand lathering to defunct it of the wet horsey smell and speed up the break in). I was in the market for a Horse when the Epsilon was announced but I shied away initially due to its large size and my small face. Alfredus gently convinced me to give it a go and I'm glad he did. It really is a damn good brush.

This Haslinger soap often gets compared with MWF, I think. A plain white puck with Lanolin as a key ingredient. This also contains sheep milk. I'm not sure what the milk brings to the soap but in my view Haslinger surpasses MWF in a number of areas. It's much easier to lather and it has a subtle fragrance that adds to a more pleasant smell. Not that there is anything wrong with the scent of MWF but this adds a delightful enhancement. Admittedly I had to feed it a lot of water to get a lather that was just right but it was worth it. The razor glided across my face with the grace of Torville & Dean. Ten hours later and my face still feels like a newborns butt. Despite only using this soap once, I can confidently add Haslinger Schafmilch to a list of products that I would buy again when this puck is gone.

m0TWVZH.jpg

3 SOTD in a row including horses!!! Now that makes me truly happy :D

@bald as that lather looks amazing, please add the picture also to the hoar pif thread as well, so it doesn't get lost...

@StueyB which type of hair is in your brush?

@Lifes a Peach the Epsilon is the best horse I have tried so far and will definitely stay in my rotation for a long time. Have you measured yours? Because mine is actually a 28mm knot! And I'm glad you also like the soap. IMO far superior to MWF because of the reasons you stated and because it is made in Austria ;)

Ah - fantastic, this is the knot that got me hooked on horse :D

Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon White Horse (Fan)
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor: Mongoose with Bulldog handle
Blade: Kai's Captain Mild (8)
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel and Myrsol Blue

My thanks and a shout out to @alfredus for the Haslinger Schafmilch soap and persuading me to purchase the Epsilon brush. Also to Juan from @Gifts&Care.com for finding me the brush after they had sold out.

The Epsilon is my first Horse. At 26mm it is also the largest knot of any brush that I own. The tips are quite soft and feel luxurious. There's a lot of hair in this brush but not one has shed to date (2 weeks of hand lathering to defunct it of the wet horsey smell and speed up the break in). I was in the market for a Horse when the Epsilon was announced but I shied away initially due to its large size and my small face. Alfredus gently convinced me to give it a go and I'm glad he did. It really is a damn good brush.

This Haslinger soap often gets compared with MWF, I think. A plain white puck with Lanolin as a key ingredient. This also contains sheep milk. I'm not sure what the milk brings to the soap but in my view Haslinger surpasses MWF in a number of areas. It's much easier to lather and it has a subtle fragrance that adds to a more pleasant smell. Not that there is anything wrong with the scent of MWF but this adds a delightful enhancement. Admittedly I had to feed it a lot of water to get a lather that was just right but it was worth it. The razor glided across my face with the grace of Torville & Dean. Ten hours later and my face still feels like a newborns butt. Despite only using this soap once, I can confidently add Haslinger Schafmilch to a list of products that I would buy again when this puck is gone.

m0TWVZH.jpg
I want to love Horse hair brushes, yet when the only serious maker is a company that I personally have not had positive after sales support from with a faulty brush, I find myself withdrawing interest reluctantly every time :(
Horse hair is quite unique in it's properties when broken in though...
Soft while a bit of scritch, backbone to load and splays like a gymnast upon hard times when a bit of pressure is added.
I right shame that one company can destroy it for me with their poor customer service (well non existent would be more accurate)
Am waiting to cull a bit before buying a puck of Haslinger Shafmilch and do desire to try it :)

Oh wow I just watched the full video of this razor in the making. It certainly is a unique masterpiece of craftsmanship and artwork!

It really is a thing of awe inspiring beauty, hey mate :)
Almost something you would consider framing, almost... ;)

I tried the Pitralon last night.
Found it to be stronger in initial scent than the decant and opens with a scent that could easily be associated with sterile medicinal environments, yet not unpleasant and fades out reasonably quickly.
Ever present is a musky pear aroma, which is what it dries down to, with the musky side taking more of a front stage presence.
Appears to be reasonable in skin properties, yet will try a few more times.

I also tried a sample of Burt's Bees - Bay Rum balm.
@Dale.Whiley this is something you should experience mate :)

@alfredus

It's a white horse hair - I believe it is a 13066B with 50% mane, 50% tail

Here's a photo from my phone

WmNDAON.jpg

Great shot - absolutely outstanding photo - just what a SOTD pic should be!!!

See, is it that hard @Nonick???

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.