Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: R41 (2013) on a Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu Original

Well after three straight days with 2 1/2 passes each so WTG and ATG this morning my face suggested it had had enough!

Some minor nicks only but generally screaming all over. Slapped on the Kyovu and it is all good but it was not an enjoyable shave (despite the good result)

I will persist and see whether this is acclimatization and the R41 can be a daily driver or whether it must remain a special use ...

I want to love Horse hair brushes, yet when the only serious maker is a company that I personally have not had positive after sales support from with a faulty brush, I find myself withdrawing interest reluctantly every time :(
Horse hair is quite unique in it's properties when broken in though...
Soft while a bit of scritch, backbone to load and splays like a gymnast upon hard times when a bit of pressure is added.
I right shame that one company can destroy it for me with their poor customer service (well non existent would be more accurate)
Am waiting to cull a bit before buying a puck of Haslinger Shafmilch and do desire to try it :)

Admittedly I feel the same way about another brush company who is widely popular but a lack of customer support when something went wrong for me left a sour taste in my mouth. May be we should let go of our grudges as both may be one-offs?

[USER=991 said:
@Lifes a Peach[/USER] the Epsilon is the best horse I have tried so far and will definitely stay in my rotation for a long time. Have you measured yours? Because mine is actually a 28mm knot! And I'm glad you also like the soap. IMO far superior to MWF because of the reasons you stated and because it is made in Austria ;)

Hmmm...measured up with a ruler and you might be right. A good pair of callipers would help. The European soaps are so underrated in my opinion.

Have you measured yours?

Hmmm...measured up with a ruler and you might be right. A good pair of callipers would help.
o_Oo_Oo_O

Now its always nice to see members sharing information but there's gotta be a line in the sand somewhere! Oh well if nothing else hopefully for the results sake you boys waited till a lil later in the day and not on a cold and frosty morning - as it'd be a 'belittling' experience if those calipers were made of very cold metal! :confused:

;)

Oh wow I just watched the full video of this razor in the making. It certainly is a unique masterpiece of craftsmanship and artwork!

Thanks for watching the video and I am glad you appreciated it.
Mastro Livi Snake Razor certainly is a masterpiece of craftsmanship and artwork, not to mention a magnificent shaver. Mastro Livi CarboInox is just another proof of his talent and genius! I am so proud to be the owner of such a unique and incredible masterpiece!

Admittedly I feel the same way about another brush company who is widely popular but a lack of customer support when something went wrong for me left a sour taste in my mouth. May be we should let go of our grudges as both maybe one-offs?
If it is who I think your inferring to, I had an issue with one of their products too and they were more than accommodating.
Frustrating to see variances in service levels though :(

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Phoenix Double open-Comb
Blade Polsilver SI (6)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & ê Shave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

Quick and Dirty shave today as SWMBO is down with the flu and I had to make sure the kids got off to school. B&M Latha has a great scent and the lather is rich and slick.
Definitely need to change the Polsilver out - a bit rough today.

I want to love Horse hair brushes, yet when the only serious maker is a company that I personally have not had positive after sales support from with a faulty brush, I find myself withdrawing interest reluctantly every time :(

Admittedly I feel the same way about another brush company who is widely popular but a lack of customer support when something went wrong for me left a sour taste in my mouth. May be we should let go of our grudges as both may be one-offs

I think - and this goes not only for brushes - but everything that is produced on a large scale and distributed - you have to make the right choice, where to buy your product...

I bought a Vie-Long from G&C, the handle broke 6 months down the track and they got/gave me a full refund. Even insisted on transferring it into my PP account, although I just wanted to buy another Vie-Long from them...

I am sure, if I had contacted Vie-Long directly or some Ebay seller, it would have been a very different story...

And with brushes, I think unless you go really high up (Paladin, Shavemac...) there is always a chance, you might get a dud. Don't think it will be easy to get a refund on a middle of the road shedding Simpson either, that's why I am so reluctant to buy one.

20150623_SOTDS_zpsijpq1wht.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Absolutely perfect shave. Been reading at @Leisureguy book lately and today went for a 4 pass shave and was really conscious about perfect technique. And it was well worth the effort - 10 hours lather and my face still feels in heaven!

The Ladas are really great blades in the Wolf, will definitely order some for the future.

And the brush is absolutely a joy to use. Produces mountains of perfect lather with ease! Will post a lather pic in the other thread...

I think - and this goes not only for brushes - but everything that is produced on a large scale and distributed - you have to make the right choice, where to buy your product...

I bought a Vie-Long from G&C, the handle broke 6 months down the track and they got/gave me a full refund. Even insisted on transferring it into my PP account, although I just wanted to buy another Vie-Long from them...

I am sure, if I had contacted Vie-Long directly or some Ebay seller, it would have been a very different story...

And with brushes, I think unless you go really high up (Paladin, Shavemac...) there is always a chance, you might get a dud. Don't think it will be easy to get a refund on a middle of the road shedding Simpson either, that's why I am so reluctant to buy one.
Indeed, purchase from a retailer can determine the level of after sales support you receive.
I've had two brushes fail in some way.
Both I contacted the manufacturer.
One replied and resolved the issue, including going above and beyond to satisfy me as a customer with a percular request.
The other simply did not bother to reply at all, despite several attempts.
It is the level of service received when things are not perfect that determines the worth of a company.
Of course, I am open to said company proving me wrong any time they desire to make contact with me.
As for the other, it is why I do not hesitate in recommending them, as my experience is they back their product and seek to satisfy their customers.

In your case, I suspect that @Gifts&Care.com have picked up the tab, which is mighty unfair upon their front, yet noble.

... Don't think it will be easy to get a refund on a middle of the road shedding Simpson either, that's why I am so reluctant to buy one.

I had a Milk Churn shedder which I got cheaply from some vendor going out of business. Sent Mark Waterson the MD at Simpson an email with the details, explained it was not one or two hairs but a 'clump' and he had no hesitation in replacing it.

Might not happen for you but it did for me :)

Razor: Schick Knona
Blade: Gillette Thin 1971 R-1
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Coconut
Brush: Vie-Long 13061
A.F: Nivea Original Lotion

Classic 3 pass shave, slightly snappy on the WTG but very smooth after I mowed down the 5 days regrowth. No nick, close as it can get & good feedback from the alum bloc. This one goes in my top 5 of the year : )

Have a nice afternoon, laddies.

Last edited:
Bengall straight (467)
Simpson Case
Strop shoppe Austin
Thayers a la Borked freezathon

You really do get good mileage out of these vintage blades. Who knows how many shaves my friends father and his grandfather before had with it.

Razor: R41 (2013) on a Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap: B&M Roam (Tallow)
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu Original

After noticing somebody's comment about irritation from a blunt blade I decided to swap out the blade after three shaves to see if that eased the irritation.

Loaded up with B&M Roam (Tallow), one of the Paste & Cut Certified World's Best Shaving Soap (TM) Barrister & Mann range, to ensure great prep and finished off with B&M Kyovu Original, one of the Paste & Cut Certified World's Top Five AfterShaves (TM) Barrister & Mann range, so the post shave feel was great.

Still noticeable irritation during the shave a a couple of weepers, I think from gradual wear as much as anything else. Certainly need to find a solution for the R41 to become a daily driver.

Paste & Cut Certified World's ... - is that really a thing now? Are we going to monetise Paste & Cut like that @Monsta_AU ?

It was just a bit of fun for some well loved products around here people - so relax :)

From my very short experience with the R41, I definitely noticed, that it wears out blades faster than any other razor. I had troubles getting 6 passes (2 shaves) out of a blade...

Status
Not open for further replies.