Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (11)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann 'Dickens'

Another standard lather from B&M, and another youghurty result that was slicker than a harpooned hippo on a banana tree. These synths really do help in the lathering department but @Barrister & Mann has soaps abso-bloody-lutely nailed in terms of performance. The Dickens scent is a bit of an oddball (Pine, Cherry, Cinnamon, Gingerbread & Eggnog - basically a northern Christmas) but works and I like it as a winter soap. Diamond is in a similar category however it's not my thing.

La brune Française Wilk with 10 on the clock had zero issues with it, chalking up a solid 11th shave. Definitely not as close on the neck but no pulling, roughness or other nasty traits. Hope all you Latha buyers enjoy them.

ASB courtesy of Con worked very nicely - thanks for the opportunity to try it. Easy application yet dries fast and is not greasy at all - a massive achievement compared to most balms I have tried, even the Nivea Sensitive ASB can be greasy. Scent is very mild and almost neutral so goes with just about everything. I definitely rate this stuff and would buy it if I could find a stockist to buy it from.

Your Latha stocking was a stroke of genius Monsta - you really could get another order you know [emoji6]

I almost ordered 20 of the Fine brushes in the synthetic Angel Hair but decided against it. They are USD$20 per throw, whereas the Latha was USD$8.50 each. Bit easier to swallow price-wise.

Preshave: Proraso Green
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Brush: Shavemac 177
Blade: Polsilver SI
Soap: Soap Commander Passion
Post Shave: Soap Commander Passion Balm
Easy two pass shave with a clean up around the neck. Soap commander excellent and the balm is also.

Quickly becoming a SOTD star - loving them mate!

Brush: Ploccitane
Soap/Cream: Caties Bubbles Black Bergamot
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Polsilver SI [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Antesol

Great to have the ERR back in action. [emoji106]

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vie-Long Horse Hair
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette New OC
Blade Persona Red(1)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & ê Shave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

Decided to go back to the New with a blade that I'm comfortable with. Very different face feel with the New compared to the DOC. Probably a little too much pressure on the ATG pass - some irritation on my neck. But the ê Shave balm took care of most of it.

The scent of the Latha is awesome, great in the jar but really comes alive when it lathers. As per @Monsta_AU request I'll post a longer review in the Latha thread once I get a couple of shaves in. But anyone that is on the fence about snagging one of these should grab one while you can - great soap at a great price.

SOTN
Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
C.V Heljestrand MK32
Thater 3 Band

20150624-000_3120_zpspyzn9j20.jpg

Wednesday 24 June 2015

204810d1435145995-sun-june-21st-sat-june-27th-sotd-24062015.jpg

Yet Another RazorGuy Shave!

I am continuing testing my shaving soap which I like more and more at each single shave. I am still thinking I should change something in this recipe, but I am however very happy with the amazing and incredible performance of this soap. Also the pre-shave and after shave are part of my homemade production and this time I wanted to use my Bay Rum, as it was quite a long time I did not use it in favor of the fresher Thyrrenus. This time I used a vintage straight razor: a gorgeous Wostenholm "pipe razor", one of my favorite vintage razors, smooth and velvety, I could not be wrong. For this shave I also wanted an icing on the cake and used my father's very old Omega bristle brush 47: although it is about 40 years old, it is one of the finest, softest, super performing and very best shave brushes I have in my shave den.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: My Father's Omega 47
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: George Wostenholm & Sons Pipe Razor, 11/16 Half Hollow, Square Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Razor: R41 (2013) on a Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotchdistressed Culmak reknotted by @Pjotr with TGN finest
Soap: B&M Roam (Tallow)
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu Original

Stuck with the 'A' team of the Paste & Cut Certified World's Best Shaving Soap (TM) Barrister & Mann range, to ensure great prep and finished off with B&M Kyovu Original, one of the Paste & Cut Certified World's Top Five AfterShaves (TM) Barrister & Mann range, so the post shave feel was great.

Less irritation during the shave but still a couple of weepers. I will persist!

Razor: R41 (2013) on a Weber Bulldog handle

Less irritation during the shave but still a couple of weepers. I will persist!

Hi Mark,

I understand the '41 and the MMOC are vastly different razors but you are one of the few people I know that has actually used both. Could you comment on their similarities and differences? How does blade rigidity affect how they "feel and perform". From my point of view I have always found most DE razors I have feel more aggressive than most of my SE razors. I wonder if that is more the blade and head angle than anything else.

Steve

Hi Mark,

I understand the '41 and the MMOC are vastly different razors but you are one of the few people I know that has actually used both. Could you comment on their similarities and differences? How does blade rigidity affect how they "feel and perform". From my point of view I have always found most DE razors I have feel more aggressive than most of my SE razors. I wonder if that is more the blade and head angle than anything else.

Steve

Yeah very different beasts (and the R41 I'm using at present is the 2013 not the 2011) .

Different angle between the two and I would not try with a MMOC some things (eg under the nose) that I would expect the R41 to do (why?).

Both give great (or scary) aural feedback and both demand some respect. I think I actually got the MMOC dialled in better than I have the R41 to date - maybe that is a hint that I need to work on my technique and not use it like other DEs. I do know that after using other milder DEs my technique gets lazy - both demand a lighter touch and properly stretched skin.

My thesis is that is the the razor/blade combination rather than the razor OR the blade that is important. On that basis I would content it is less about blade rigidity than the whole package when comparing them.

20150625_SOTDS_zpskyiaskt3.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Wonderful shave today, although the blade is a tad more harsh than Voskhods/Ladas. Brush whipped up perfect lather from Mikes with zero effort - I think it could go almost head to head with a synth in that department - but of course with a unbelievable face feel!

20150625%20sotd_zpsu5qr65vf.png

Cold water shave
No pre-shave prep
Brush: Body Shop Synth
Soap: Shaver Heaven Vetiver
Razor: Dovo Stainless Steel 5/8
Aftershave: Brut Original

This is my third day with this combination. The first time I have used a synth and even though it it cheap, does an excellent job of building plentiful lather. One thing of note is that it seems to produce a dry lather. After building a plentiful face lather I have had to dip the tip of my brush into the water and moisten the lather on my face. Is this because the synth does not hold water like a well-damped badger? Not a major issue, just a different method to using the badger. The synth is not as soft as the badger (because it is only new??? Do synthetic fibres soften as badger hair with use??) but not so "rough/harsh" that this is a problem. Produce lather? Just wave the synth over the bowl and a lather is formed on my face.

Shaver Heaven's Vetiver is a soap that is hard the beat. Great scent, thick lather, excellent protection for the face, all round performer.

The Dovo straight has performed exceptionally well each shave.

Brut Original aftershave. An oldie but a classic.

Last edited:
Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vie-Long Hoar
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette New OC
Blade Persona Red(2)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & ê Shave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

Received the Hoar brush from @bald as last night and decided to take it for a run this morning. The B&M Latha blossomed into a shed load of lather with the Hoar. Think I might have overloaded it a tad and probably put a little too much water in. That will teach me for changing too many variables at once.

Lovely shave except for a patch under my jaw that I often miss

Brush: Chubby 2 Best
Razor: Gem Jewel
Blade: Gem Stainless (3)
Soap: Jabonmans Tierra Humeda
A/S: Floid Vigoroso

Big thanks to @MrT for selling the Chubby 2, great brush. Whipped up an absolutely perfect lather in no time at all. Third go with the Jewel, got to say I really don't think that I'll ever get along with it, far too aggressive for my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.