Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
20150625%20sotd_zpsu5qr65vf.png

have had to dip the tip of my brush into the water and moisten the lather on my face. Is this because the synth does not hold water like a well-damped badger?

The Dovo straight has performed exceptionally well each shave.

I had the same problem with a synth, it just doesn't like holding water.

That looks like a risky place to have the blade of your straight [emoji51] ?

I had the same problem with a synth, it just doesn't like holding water.

That looks like a risky place to have the blade of your straight [emoji51] ?
Not so risky. Soft timber on the bowl, non-slippery/dry bench & the lack of any item that was suitably sized or conveniently near to wedge tbe blade open.

Last edited:
Bengall straight (467)
Simpson Case
Strop shoppe Austin
Thayers a la Borked freezathon

You really do get good mileage out of these vintage blades. Who knows how many shaves my friends father and his grandfather before had with it.
How's the Austin? I've yet to try mine.

Razor: R41 (2013) on a Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (32)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap: B&M Roam (Tallow)
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu Original

Same gear - the 'A' team of the Paste & Cut Certified World's Best Shaving Soap (TM) Barrister & Mann range, to ensure great prep and finished off with B&M Kyovu Original, one of the Paste & Cut Certified World's Top Five AfterShaves (TM) Barrister & Mann range, so the post shave feel was great.

Managed to give myself a serious nick right at the base of the nose. Bleed like a stuck pig. Totally my fault with poor technique but why oh why does this happen more with this razor than others?

[sigh] not confident of success here ...

Now you know why a straight is not even contemplated

97cgDNY.jpg

First shave with the NEW this morning! I loaded up with a Schick super stainless - vintage blade for a vintage razor. Very smooth shave. Very! A daily shaver for sure.

Also used my nearly gone SS Austin sample. It's my favourite scent if theirs @unobtanium and an all time great soap. Be sure to load up well though. Like they say - as slick and rich as Clive Palmer, and just as dense [emoji4]

Nearly finished Borkededs Thayers face freezer [emoji20] trying to stretch it out. Wonder how the alcohol ones go?

Last edited:
[sigh] not confident of success here ...

Now you know why a straight is not even contemplated

Apples and pears my friend.

Now do note I know someone who sold their R41 but continues to shave with a straight... [emoji6]

I'm sure you could manage a straight!

Eventually.

Do you have private health insurance?

........... Third go with the Jewel, got to say I really don't think that I'll ever get along with it, far too aggressive for my taste.

Sometimes you just know it's never going to work out. I've had that with a few SE razors but not with that one.

I don't know what my nose was thinking last time I tried arko cool.
I suggested that it want cooking at all and that the scent wasn't unpleasant.
I stand by my first statement, but would like to change my stance on the second. It's got a chemical soapy smell that I didn't find very pleasant this time around.
Still leathers up a treat though.

Not sure about the 7 o'clock yellow either. I'm blaming the elder statesmen of VisionCollision 4.0 for my addiction to vintage blades.
images

Not sure about the 7 o'clock yellow either. I'm blaming the elder statesmen of VisionCollision 4.0 for my addiction to vintage blades.
images

Hey, Vision Collision 4.0 was bloody awesome and I won't hear anything said to the contrary.

That was a while ago, VC4.0 was a vBulletin theme and we have been off vB for over 2 years now.

I was looking back on it fondly when there were but a few older heads here and you could keep up with the number of posts each day.

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vie-Long Hoar
Soap MWF
Razor Gillette New OC
Blade Persona Red(3)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & ê Shave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

Tried to face lather with the Hoar today, but it wasn't exactly a success. No issues with the amount of lather - in fact there was enough lather around the sink for at least 2 more passes - but had a hard time keeping the lather on the top of the brush. Kept pooling around where the handle meets the knot.

Satisfying, yet messy shave today

Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon Horse
Soap: Razorock Captains Choice Bay Rum
Razor: Mongoose on a Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Kai Captain Mild (12)
Aftershave: Thayers Witch Hazel and Ogallala Bay Rum

This mornings shave officially ends a 6 week SE razor stretch. As impressive as they are it's time to give the DE's some attention before I lose touch. The SE razors in order of preference were:

1. GEM 1912 - This razor wins the chocolates. It was so easy to transition to and required very little concentration to get a very good shave. No cuts or weepers in the 2 weeks of use. A good balance of comfort and aggression. The ease of use suits my usual zombiefied morning mood. Could easily be a daily shaver.
  2. EVER READY 1924 - Kindly provided by @bald as . Bit me a few times in the early days. Ups the aggression scale. Got a buzz once I understood and adjusted to its charms. Closest shave of any razor but you've got to be on your guard. With more practice it has potential to overtake the 1912.
  3. MONGOOSE - Took me longer to get the hang of. Bit me a few times despite being a mild razor. Works better for me with a Bulldog handle rather than the DUB slim that it came with. Excellent workmanship. Blade alignment is a no-brainer thanks to its design.

Special mention - Vie-Long Epsilon Horse Brush - Makes lathering a breeze. No dropped hairs. Easy lather control despite its obesity. Feels lovely on the face. A joy to use.

Thank your mother for the rabbits.

Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon Horse
Soap: Razorock Captains Choice Bay Rum
Razor: Mongoose on a Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Kai Captain Mild (12)
Aftershave: Thayers Witch Hazel and Ogallala Bay Rum

This mornings shave officially ends a 6 week SE razor stretch. As impressive as they are it's time to give the DE's some attention before I lose touch. The SE razors in order of preference were:

1. GEM 1912 - This razor wins the chocolates. It was so easy to transition to and required very little concentration to get a very good shave. No cuts or weepers in the 2 weeks of use. A good balance of comfort and aggression. The ease of use suits my usual zombiefied morning mood. Could easily be a daily shaver.
  2. EVER READY 1924 - Kindly provided by @bald as . Bit me a few times in the early days. Ups the aggression scale. Got a buzz once I understood and adjusted to its charms. Closest shave of any razor but you've got to be on your guard. With more practice it has potential to overtake the 1912.
  3. MONGOOSE - Took me longer to get the hang of. Bit me a few times despite being a mild razor. Works better for me with a Bulldog handle rather than the DUB slim that it came with. Excellent workmanship. Blade alignment is a no-brainer thanks to its design.

Special mention - Vie-Long Epsilon Horse Brush - Makes lathering a breeze. No dropped hairs. Easy lather control despite its obesity. Feels lovely on the face. A joy to use.

Thank your mother for the rabbits.

There are now so many SE posts I've stopped liking each one. Any excuse not to press the like button. It's up there with smileys really. Happy to finally have a decent cohort of true shavers though.

Hey, Vision Collision 4.0 was bloody awesome and I won't hear anything said to the contrary.

That was a while ago, VC4.0 was a vBulletin theme and we have been off vB for over 2 years now.

Ahhh, the Good Ole Days - where has the time gone?

I was looking back on it fondly when there were but a few older heads here and you could keep up with the number of posts each day.

YES!!!! Much harder now ;)

There are now so many SE posts I've stopped liking each one. Any excuse not to press the like button. It's up there with smileys really. Happy to finally have a decent cohort of true shavers though.

Go on mate - break out in a :) or :) :) !!!!

Your sentiments, Obi-Wan, count for so much more than a measly "Like".

May the force be with you.

I think I started the first SOTD thread back in 2012 or something. Just to get some posting happening. At the time I was replying to my own posts.

Good to see little had changed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.