Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
kLqdl8G.jpg

R41 Voskhod
London Morning
Case

Strop shoppe is awesome soap. It needs a local retailer. This scent is bright, fresh and clean - actually not at all like a London Morning.

A real London Morning soap I imagine would be easy to overload, leaving your shave wet and miserable. At least you'd have something to complain about for the day.

16572608432_545dfbd7ab.jpg

Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: Soap Commander Respect Lime
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum [1]
After-shave: Captain's Choice Lime

It's been a while since I've used on of the Bics. Very nice. Really sharp and smooth. Does anyone else find these to be great blades?

Still getting used to the Chubby. Maybe it's because I'm being extra careful not to mash it into my face for fear of breaking the badger hairs (is that actually true?), but it's not exploding with lather like I expected. Any tips?

Nice shave MrT! I'd be very surprised if the Badger hairs broke?

That's what I've heard. The instructions that came with the brush made a strong point not to use a hard circular motion, but rather just back and forth like a paint brush...

Ah yeah they put those instructions in every brush box (and I have used all mine in circular motions + back and forth)

But I'm sure someone with more experience will wade in soon. ..

Gillette Slim (6 & 3)
Gillette Platinum (Malty) (2)
Plisson Synth
Stirling Glastonbury

Nice lather & results but the scent whilst ok doesn't meet SSC's description - I can see what they were trying to do but they miss the mark on this one IMHO.

Brush: Plisson synth
Soap/Cream: Wickhams SeaSpray (thanks @stillshunter)
Razor: Razorock Stealth Slant v3 (thanks @Lifes a Peach)
Blade: Feather [1]
After-shave: Barrister & Mann Seville Kyovu (thanks @Nonick)
Scent: Azzaro Pour Homme (HT @stillshunter)

Shave today was brought to you by P&C courtesy of @Lifes a Peach, @stillshunter and @Nonick [emoji6] (Brush and blades not included.)

Wickhams was great. Top lather and performance. Scent was...salty. Not my flavour but ok.

Still withholding my thoughts on the Stealth for another day or two. I'll just say that matched with a Feather is a good thing.

The B&M Kyovu aftershave is...interesting. It's more a lotion oil than a splash (if you get my meaning). When you wipe it on (from the sample bottle I was given), it *almost* lathers in a funny way. It's got a slight oily feel, but not really greasy. It's light but with a little more viscosity than a splash. It soaks in very, very well. My skin was feeling great afterwards. The scent was okay, but not standout. Perhaps the scent of the ingredients were trying to beat the fragrance to my nose.

Would I buy it? Hmmm, perhaps. More nourishing than the usual alcohol based splash, but lighter than a balm. Even more refreshing than a milk... Perhaps it would be most similar to the Lucky Tiger tonic but a little more viscous.

20150219_SOTDS_zpstb7qpzpw.jpg

Brush:
Whipped Dog High Mountain 24/48
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot (old formula)
Razor: Above the Tie R1 Kronos
Blade: Gillette Goal (1)

OK that brush has some serious scrub - couldn't stop face lathering and had to pay with a slight irritation on my neck after the shave. I started noticing this during my board days already: when the scrub becomes too addictive and you can't stop it, it means you have already irritated your skin...so be careful gentleman ;)

Soap was fantastic - exactly the way I remembered it - great super slick lather, not really hard to get to, if you know what you are doing and great post-shave feel.

Shave was super close, those Gillette Goals from Bali are sharp - but also 2 tiny weepers and a very big sting from the alum, so I guess not as smooth as Voskhods...

All in all a fantastic BBS shave though and can't stop the stroking :) :) :)

20150219_SOTDS_zpstb7qpzpw.jpg

Brush:
Whipped Dog High Mountain 24/48
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot (old formula)
Razor: Above the Tie R1 Kronos
Blade: Gillette Goal (1)

OK that brush has some serious scrub - couldn't stop face lathering and had to pay with a slight irritation on my neck after the shave. I started noticing this during my board days already: when the scrub becomes too addictive and you can't stop it, it means you have already irritated your skin...so be careful gentleman ;)

Soap was fantastic - exactly the way I remembered it - great super slick lather, not really hard to get to, if you know what you are doing and great post-shave feel.

Shave was super close, those Gillette Goals from Bali are sharp - but also 2 tiny weepers and a very big sting from the alum, so I guess not as smooth as Voskhods...

All in all a fantastic BBS shave though and can't stop the stroking :) :) :)
What is the brush?

Can't say much more can I?
Except that they are 39US$ delivered to your door, fantastic value for money and Larry (the proprietor) is a fantastic guy to deal with...
http://www.whippeddog.com/

The trials continue;

Did the lucky dip thing and came up with a little sample pot labelled T&H 180S which I am sure means something to all you experts out there.
It had a fairly hard consistency which made getting it on the face a little tricky.
Got some out and smeared on the face - attacked with the brush and got a thin mediocre lather.
Persevered as I still had the Slick Schick in the Slim and figured that combination would fix any faults in the lather.

For a change I was right - good shave but the fun of lathering was missing.

Of the 3 tried so far the Occams Original stands head and shoulders above the other to but there is many more to try.
To be continued,,,,

Did the lucky dip thing and came up with a little sample pot labelled T&H 180S which I am sure means something to all you experts out there.
I'd assume Truefitt & Hill 1805 and probably their shaving cream. Possibly it's hardened up.
I'd scoop it all out of the sample bag or pot and smoosh on the bottom of a container (even a takeaway tub) with lid. Load from that and you'll get a better result.

^^^^ - this

Given you couldn't read the label probably from me a long time ago ....

I'd assume Truefitt & Hill 1805 and probably their shaving cream. Possibly it's hardened up.
I'd scoop it all out of the sample bag or pot and smoosh on the bottom of a container (even a takeaway tub) with lid. Load from that and you'll get a better result.
I knew I could count on the resident experts to come up with a name. Not enough of it left to bother digging it out and I have all the other samples to try - it has been disposed of as a lesson to the remaining samples - function or your gone :)

Nooooo. It is a great cream - will have to send you some more ....

Reactions: MrT
@Mark1966 - it didn't work for me either ;)

Ah yeah they put those instructions in every brush box (and I have used all mine in circular motions + back and forth)

But I'm sure someone with more experience will wade in soon. ..

Don't know if I qualify as having more experience but just whack it in there any old how. Circular, back and forth....makes no difference really. A shaving brush is a utilitarian object. A glorified yard broom if you will. At some stage in it's life the knot will disintegrate. I read somewhere about people using a brush and every day storing it covered in lather upside down on top of a puck for years on end. Although I personally wouldn't do that because it's just messy but that's really my kind of shaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.