Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Erskine butterscotch TGN reknot
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Kent cream
Razor: Gillette NEW DeLuxe Big Boy
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Post-shave: Speick

Day one with the DeLuxe and it had three day's worth of growth to contend with....so I thought I'd give it a helping hand with a little Proraso pre-lovin'. Kent lathered like a champ, it really is a top shelf cream - those who like menthol must try this stuff! So the first pass was a little tuggy in places and I think this might have been down to an OK blade and a quite aggressive razor. Subsequent passes were quite nice....just that first one was iffy. I confess now that based on the aesthetic alone I want to lie this razor and I think we are shaping up well. Will try the Platinum in it again tomorrow and then move into the Feather. This will test its mettle.

Brush: Erskine butterscotch TGN reknot
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Kent cream
Razor: Gillette NEW DeLuxe Big Boy

What are your thoughts on the Proraso pre-shave? I think it's making a difference but can't be sure. This morning was the first time in weeks that I didn't apply it and the shave didn't feel as smooth. Could be the blade - lost count how many shaves.

@Nonick, To me, it is THE Berkeley. Nice brush, smooth purchase, 100% happy. Great for loading from the soap and face lathering.
If yours is anything like the harlot twin I purchased off @Mark1966 , it will change hands several times, splay upon command and bring many a smile to a man's dial!

@Nonick, To me, it is THE Berkeley. Nice brush, smooth purchase, 100% happy. Great for loading from the soap and face lathering.

If yours is anything like the harlot twin I purchased off @Mark1966 , it will change hands several times, splay upon command and bring many a smile to a man's dial!

She is all mine and hopefully for a looooong time. I'm not one to let her go around putting smiles on other men's dials.

She is all mine and hopefully for a looooong time. I'm not one to let her go around putting smiles on other men's dials.
Did your parents not teach you to share ? ;)

Razor: Pureman OC Proto
Blade: Spoiler, dunno how many but still awesome.
Brush: Vulfix #374
Cream: Proraso Green

Really good close shave. No irritation. Happy days.

Brush: Plisson synthetic
Pre-Shave: Occams Original Pre-Shave soap
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente
Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Personna Super/Lab [1]
After-shave: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente Aftershave milk

It was an impulse to use the Schick Krona - my first time too! A mild and smooth shaver. I truly felt that it couldn't nick or do any damage. The plastic handle felt a little slippery to me, and balance was strong towards the head. But it was a positive shave all up. The Jabonman soap and scent were delightful. Such a great shave all round.

Brush: Plisson synthetic
Pre-Shave: Occams Original Pre-Shave soap
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente
Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Personna Super/Lab [1]
After-shave: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente Aftershave milk

It was an impulse to use the Schick Krona - my first time too! A mild and smooth shaver. I truly felt that it couldn't nick or do any damage. The plastic handle felt a little slippery to me, and balance was strong towards the head. But it was a positive shave all up. The Jabonman soap and scent were delightful. Such a great shave all round.

Those Krona razors are underrated for sure :)

Brush: Plisson HMW 12
Razor: Feather ASD2 (what else [emoji4])
Cream: GFT Coconut
Blade: POL

Gf is always a treat. Smell is nice in cooler temps and performance is definitely there.

Sad to say but POLS just don't do it anymore for me. No as sharp as a feather, not as smooth as a Gillette 7 O'clock black.
No cuts but a definite unfamiliar sting from the Myrsol which I haven't been experiencing of late.

Photo to come once I get a second to phone Peach tonight. Ps sorry got held up last night [emoji39]

Brush - Simmo Case Pure
Razor - trusty R41
Blade - Voskhod (6ish)
Soap - Nannys Citrus Zinger
Balm - Jermyn St

Voskhod has come along the inside lane to be a winner. Not as smooth as Personna but it's functioning hasn't slipped in a week. It's like a T-34, crude, but keeps the battle at the enemies camp. I read in the book "Stalingrad" they were fighting just a few blocks away from a factory where they were made. They rolled off the production line into battle without even being painted!

Muhle R41 (2nd pass with Slim with Platinum Lux)
Plisson Synth
Gillette Platinum Blue (Malty) (4)
Stirling Frozen Tundra
EVOO as post-shave (as per recommendation of @razorguy & @alfredus )

Nice shave - it's my 2nd 'tour of duty' with the R41 and I'm enjoying it's closeness of shave and candid/blunt demeanour (and what I mean by this is that this razor lets you know EXACTLY where the optimum shaving angle is and 'incentivises' you to use it! All in a good way as I'm yet to have anything but the smallest of weepers from it).All that admiration aside I find that the ATG pass needs to be done with another milder razor as I sense the R41 might upset the apple cart on a 2nd pass - but that might be me just playing safe - the fact the Slim is out and loaded for use makes it a very small hassle.

The Frozen Tundra, which is a mentholated soap was very good, excellent performance and whilst a bit of a hodge-podge scent the menthol strength was just about right so that it made the shave more enjoyable but not to a silly level.

EVOO was interesting as a post-shave. I'd no reservations in using it as it works in with my theory of how consumers are willing to pay big $$$ for products with miniscule and stale botanical ingredients (seriously next time you're in the hair/skincare section check out how every other product SCREAMS how it has extracts of this or that plant or oil in it - but the actual amount is so tiny and do you really think they'd put good quality stuff in there if they could get cheaper?).

So I was aware of the long history that EVOO has as a skincare product.

I was careful to follow the advice given and only use several drops - now at first it will feel like you need heaps more BUT you have to rub your face even though it feels a tad dry and spread the very thin amount of oil around to distribute it and work it in. It takes a little getting used to and depending on your preference you may like to use a lil more and wipe off excess or use less.

I used a fairly generic EVOO (I think it's gilding the lily to say you need to use better quality Olive oil, and from reading I can advise that the cheapest olive oil - pomace oil is ACTUALLY preferred for soap making as it has more of the botanicals in it that the 1st pressed EVOO).

So how did it compare to a commerical moisturiser? Well I found it very good, didn't feel oily or like there was a layer of something on my skin - which the commercial ones can tend to do. My skin felt very 'plump' and full - definitely something I'd try again. Though I think I'd try and use a light glycerin aftershave first and then put the EVOO over the top.

I've also got Argan and Jojoba oils - which are very good for skin usage so I'll try those too when I get a chance.

20150224_SOTDS_zpssurjyw1o.jpg

Brush: Omega 49
Pre-Shave: Occams Origina pre-shave soap
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum (new formula)
Razor: Above the Tie R1 Kronos
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Post-shave: South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Got up at 6 today and don't know why, but had the urge to use the old boar. After being on horse and badger for 3+ months, it was very interesting. I think for the first time ever I used the brush the way it should be - i.e. no mashing into the face. That was quiet and experience, because:
1. it was wonderfully soft
2. my Whipped Dog High Mountain has WAY more scrub compared to using the boar like this
3. I got the best lather quality out of a boar ever

What can I say, I tend to understand more and more the appeal of badgers and can't wait to get my first HQ one - I am on the waiting list for what I believe is going to be a spectacular brush...

Dialled in on the soap, shock out the brush well and overloaded (yes I like to do it) then gradually added more and more water until I had a rich and dense lather - fantastic! And enough for the 5 passes I want. Still believe the WD silvertip produces superior lather and from next shave on it is on to the synth.

Olive oil post shave = heaven!!! I cannot thank @razorguy enough for bringing me this much pleasure. Just use it exactly as he says: add 3-4 drops in the one hand, have a wet second hand, rub the two and then on to the face...I think even the poorest soap will have a great post shave feel with this treatment :) :) :)

I still don't see the fuss with badgers, although I must admit my sample size is small (n=2).

What's the speccy one you are hoping to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.