Status
Not open for further replies.
wpZHufM.png

Brush: OPlisson L'Occy synth
Soap: Caties Bubbles Black Bergamot
Razor: Gillette NEW DeLuxe Big Boy
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Post-shave: Speick

Day three with the DeLuxe and another great shave. Full kudos to the Caties Bubbles. Oh boy, I'd not heard of this stuff before but this lather has thickness, protection and glide to the 9s. More top shelf stuff. One side of me says HUGE thanks to @Lifes a Peach for the sample, the other side says, "yeah thanks a lot"...esp. on my sabbatical year. ;) I'm looking forward to using the Caties Bubbles over the coming months. Also keen to try the Feather in the NEW DeLuxe tomorrow. This razor is shaping up to be a beaut! It is aggressive and it is a challenge as a daily driver, but the results are extraordinary.

Brush: Plisson L'Occy synth
Soap: Soap Commander Courage
Razor: Weber PH with Wave handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel Rose / Barrister & Mann Kyovu Cheshire

Nothing much to write home about today. The Plisson / Soap Commander partnership produced another great lather but this is becoming par for the course.

The Weber / Gillette Platinum courtship turned out to be a bit of a fizzer. No where near as close as the Platty in other razors with a fair amount of residual fuzz after my second and final pass. Had to go over the same spot over and over.

First time with the Barrister and Mann aftershave. The scent scent is okay but nothing special. No cool kick thanks largely to it's alcohol-free base...yawn... and it's quite sticky. The ingredients list looks quite impressive but the concoction is ho-hum dull, in my opinion.

Brush: OPlisson L'Occy synth
Soap: Caties Bubbles Black Bergamot
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Post-shave: Speick

Day three with the DeLuxe and another great shave. Full kudos to the Caties Bubbles. Oh boy, I'd not heard of this stuff before but this lather has thickness, protection and glide to the 9s. More top shelf stuff. One side of me says HUGE thanks to @Lifes a Peach for the sample, the other side says, "yeah thanks a lot"...esp. on my sabbatical year. ;) I'm looking forward to using the Caties Bubbles over the coming months. Also keen to try the Feather in the NEW DeLuxe tomorrow. This razor is shaping up to be a beaut! It is aggressive and it is a challenge as a daily driver, but the results are extraordinary.

Geez that's one rare razor. Any chance of a pic.

Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Wickham's Super Smooth Bay Rum
Blade: Feather (3)
Post-shave: Myrsol Antesol

Day four with the DeLuxe and first with a Feather loaded. And as I'd anticipated the shave was taken up a notch. So much smoother. Excellent shave. @Young Buck I didn't realise the rarity of the razor (and yep a pic will be on the way) - but this doesn't surprise me noting it came from the National Gillette Museum...and it's curator @Mark1966 is so humble about his assemblage. This will certainly be the hardest razor to return so far.

Notable too was the lather from this Wickhams. Honestly guys if you've not tried Wickhams then crank your ambitions up a notch! This stuff is phenomenal. Unfortunately this flavour has been discontinued - not sure why...as it's the sweetest Bay Rum I've experienced.

Brush: Frank Shaving badger
Pre-Shave: Occams Crushed Lime Pre-Shave
Soap/Cream: Dr Jon's Anne Bonny
Razor: Gillette NEW long open comb
Blade: Personna Super/Lab [1]
After-shave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Smooth and comfortable. Nice razor. Great scents (soap and AS).

@filobiblic - how would you compare your FS to the other badgers you have tried recently?

20150226_SOTDS_zpsadic2uzc.jpg

Brush: Plisson L'Occitane Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Razor: Above the Tie R1 Kronos
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Post-shave: South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

First shave today with the Plisson - very interesting. Will keep my initial thoughts to myself until I had a couple of shaves, but yes it produces fantastic lather!

First shave today with the Plisson - very interesting. Will keep my initial thoughts to myself until I had a couple of shaves, but yes it produces fantastic lather!
Haha! Basically this is code speak for:
"I can't believe it! A SYNTHETIC brush! Really?!? Unbelievable! It's far better than I imagined. Oh! But I can't let on to the others. I'm a natural man. That WD badger is good but- oh! - this synthetic brush!!!"

"I can't believe it! A SYNTHETIC brush! Really?!? Unbelievable! It's far better than I imagined. Oh! But I can't let on to the others. I'm a natural man. That WD badger is good but- oh! - this synthetic brush!!!"

Alternatively @filobiblic it could mean "Will keep my initial thoughts to myself until I had a couple of shaves, but yes it produces fantastic lather!" -time will tell :)

@filobiblic - how would you compare your FS to the other badgers you have tried recently?
I used to think the Frank Shaving brush was great. Now I think it's good. The Plisson isn't badger, but it's lifted my standard for soft tips and latherability. I feel the FS isn't densely packed enough and it's been shedding a bit. I haven't experienced a exy badger but now know what an exy badger ought to be like. My only badger is the FS and I've recently been thinking of taking out the knot and putting in a better badger knot. The handle (resin) is solid, well made and a good size for me. I'm just realising that the knot isn't decent enough.

tl;dr - Good but not great badger. Not dense enough.

I haven't taken my fs out again since using the Berkeley. I should have fine a comparison while I had the pair but didn't think of it at the time.

I haven't taken my fs out again since using the Berkeley. I should have fine a comparison while I had the pair but didn't think of it at the time.
Well if it's a choice between the FS badger and the Plisson then it'd be the synthetic.

Another lucky dip shave - This time TOBS Grapefruit cream.

And what a lovely cream it was too. Nice rich lather very smooth - still using the Slick Schick cause it just doesn't know when to quit.
Since the TOBS Grapefruit was good finished off with some TOBS aftershave balm and TOBS Gentlem@ns Aftershave.

All good all happy.

Alternatively @filobiblic it could mean "Will keep my initial thoughts to myself until I had a couple of shaves, but yes it produces fantastic lather!" -time will tell :)

Very interesting - which is it going to be? :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.