Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch Super Re-Knot
Razor: Slim on 9
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Soap: Le Pere Lucien
A/S: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

I knew there was a reason that my Slim had been lost for the last year, it just doesn't work for me. I don't know what it is but I just can't get it to give me an easy, decent shave. The LPL works great though, it definitely prefers to be bowl lathered, a 20 second load and a minute in the scuttle provided a huge amounts of dense, slippery lather. Only the second time I've used the VIBR and WOW! What an scent. Feels great going on and has a great burn similar to Cat O'Nine Tails but the scent is very different, very spicy, similar to Johnny Goodsir soap and the scent lasts 6 hours before it starts to fade. Very nice.

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch Super Re-Knot
Razor: Slim on 9
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Soap: Le Pere Lucien
A/S: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

I knew there was a reason that my Slim had been lost for the last year, it just doesn't work for me. I don't know what it is but I just can't get it to give me an easy, decent shave. The LPL works great though, it definitely prefers to be bowl lathered, a 20 second load and a minute in the scuttle provided a huge amounts of dense, slippery lather. Only the second time I've used the VIBR and WOW! What an scent. Feels great going on and has a great burn similar to Cat O'Nine Tails but the scent is very different, very spicy, similar to Johnny Goodsir soap and the scent lasts 6 hours before it starts to fade. Very nice.

Wow mate that Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum sounds right up my alley. Where'd you score it?

Meanwhile, like you I didn't much get on with my Slim but have bonded tight with my Fatboy.

Wow mate that Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum sounds right up my alley. Where'd you score it?

Meanwhile, like you I didn't much get on with my Slim but have bonded tight with my Fatboy.

Picked up the VIBR from Turnleys. It's expensive for what it is but it's still the cheapest way to get it here.
The Slim and I have never bonded. I'm happy I found it though, I was beginning to think I'd imagined I had one. The Fatboy on the other will have to be pried from grasp.

Thursday 26 February 2015

194497d1424955383-sun-february-22nd-sat-february-28th-sotd-26022015.jpg

George Wostenholm & Sons IXL Peerless, 11/16 Full Hollow, Round Point

George Wostenholm & Sons is just another fine Sheffield brand I have always loved. Their IXL razors are absolutely nice and very keen. Smooth and sharp, this old razor is still capable of providing a superb shave. I also like Italian almond shaving soaps and this Saponeria Artigiana has an absolutely charming smell, however being a very good soap. Aqua Velva, a classic in shaving, is an aftershave bringing very good old memories to my mind and, despite its fragrance may be considered as vintage, I love it!​
  • Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Saponeria Artigiana Almond
  • Brush: Focus 103 Bristle
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: George Wostenholm & Sons IXL Peerless, 11/16 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Aqua Velva Loción

Gi9YhsW.png

Brush: Plisson synthetic
Pre-Shave: Occams Crushed Lime Pre-Shave
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Latha (sample thanks to @Nonick)
Razor: Gillette NEW long open comb
Blade: Personna Super/Lab [2]
After-shave: Floïd Vigoroso

Another smooth shave. Loving the Gillette NEW LC.

The Latha soap was good. Lather was terrific; thick and lots of protection, slick and didn't break down. I can't quite put my finger on the scent; I feel it is similar to Floid (sweet aniseed), yet more barbershop-like. Perhaps even more "soapy"... The scent is classic, but not classy.

Nice shave, @filobiblic . Latha is on my wishlist so it's good to see some love for it. Pretty good price point for a high performing soap.

Nice shave, @filobiblic . Latha is on my wishlist so it's good to see some love for it. Pretty good price point for a high performing soap.
That's my thoughts as well. A great performing soap for a reasonable price (currently US$10).

That's my thoughts as well. A great performing soap for a reasonable price (currently US$10).

Unfortunately shipping is not so reasonable - would love a B&M group buy!

Gi9YhsW.png

Brush: Plisson synthetic
Pre-Shave: Occams Crushed Lime Pre-Shave
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Latha (sample thanks to @Nonick)
Razor: Gillette NEW long open comb
Blade: Personna Super/Lab [2]
After-shave: Floïd Vigoroso

Another smooth shave. Loving the Gillette NEW LC.

The Latha soap was good. Lather was terrific; thick and lots of protection, slick and didn't break down. I can't quite put my finger on the scent; I feel it is similar to Floid (sweet aniseed), yet more barbershop-like. Perhaps even more "soapy"... The scent is classic, but not classy.

Try the Gillette LC with a heftier handle, maybe your Weber handle. IMO it's a definite improvement.

Unfortunately shipping is not so reasonable - would love a B&M group buy!
Oh yes please! I've already said that I'd break my Year Sabbatical for a Barrister & Mann group buy. [emoji4]

Try the Gillette LC with a heftier handle, maybe your Weber handle. IMO it's a definite improvement.
Thanks for the tip. So far it's been great with the current handle but I'll mix it up a bit. [emoji106]

Yep a B&M Group Buy should be squashed from upon high by @Monsta_AU . Oh RM only you can save our flock now....

Otherwise I want me a cut of the action....

Hey @filobiblic , glad you're enjoying the UK LC mate. So what do you like most about the shave - smoothness, closeness, the amount of lather left for the blade, etc. ...and yeah the Weber bulldog will fit no drama.

Hey @filobiblic , glad you're enjoying the UK LC mate. So what do you like most about the shave - smoothness, closeness, the amount of lather left for the blade, etc. ...and yeah the Weber bulldog will fit no drama.
Smoothness.... Yep
Closeness... Yep (but not too close too quick)
Lather remaining... Yep
So far it's just a lovely razor to shave with. I'm enjoying using it. [emoji106]

Brush: Duke 2
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Soap: MWF
A/S: Pinaud VIBR + 444

First use of a Permasharp blade, can't say that it impressed me. Not smooth and a fair bit of tugging, I'll try it with my other razors but not in the Weber again. The VIBR and 444 mix created an interesting feeling,intense burn, freeze, intense burn some more. I like it.

Brush: Duke 2
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Soap: MWF
A/S: Pinaud VIBR + 444

First use of a Permasharp blade, can't say that it impressed me. Not smooth and a fair bit of tugging, I'll try it with my other razors but not in the Weber again. The VIBR and 444 mix created an interesting feeling,intense burn, freeze, intense burn some more. I like it.

I was the same with the Permasharps, ok, yet don't understand the appeal they have with others.

Wow fellas, I am harsh in my review of blades but have to say I found the PSS very nice in the Weber. Goes to show the DS4DF ('different strokes for different folks') rings so true. Blades are light and easy to post, want to swap for some IP Reds or Gillette Platinums @Nightguard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.