Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow fellas, I am harsh in my review of blades but have to say I found the PSS very nice in the Weber. Goes to show the DS4DF ('different strokes for different folks') rings so true. Blades are light and easy to post, want to swap for some IP Reds or Gillette Platinums @Nightguard ?
Certainly a possibility mate. I'll give the PSS a try in a few more razors and see how it goes first.

RN8ddsh.jpg

Brush: Semogue 1305
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Cella
Razor: Gillette NEW DeLuxe Big Boy
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Post-Post-Shave: Argan Oil

Last shave with the Gillette NEW DeLuxe. I am going to be so sad to see this one go back to the Canberra Gillette Museum. Of the open combs I have used over my time this is definitely rated the highest of the Gillette OCs - such an exquisite balance of smoothness and efficiency. Noting the iKon DeLuxe OC is modelled after this razor, the iKon is now top of my list right besides the Feather ASD2 for hardware acquisitions.

I am resolved to getting rid of a vast portion of my software. Top of my list was the Cella. I mean it was the second soap I ever bought (behind the Edwin Jager Sandalwood that was PIFed to @Mong. if I recall) so it has some sentimentality attached to it. Having said that I've not gotten the best lathers out of it - compared to subsequent top-shelfers that have come along. But a little PC PM tête-à-tête left me with the impression that I need to load up a little more liberally. So last lather before it hits the BST. Well almost. Noting the longer load made a rich thick nice lather, and noting the unrobotic sound of the ingredient list, this little tub's been put back in the bathroom cabinet.

Finally, I'm going to try a more natural astringent and post-shave balmification process. Stocked up on some witch hazel, and I've bought some other supplies to make a little post-shave concoction. But I tried the witch hazel raw this morning. Hope the addition of aloe, rosewater, glycerine, etc., will add a little more quality as the witch hazel alone didn't give me the same restorative feeling as my ever-faithful Speick. Also found some pure
organic Argan Oil at my local whole food/healthfood store and so with @razorguy 's latest SOTDs echoing through my mind I bought and applied this morning. Face feel is really, really, nice. Just keen to see how it mixes with my natural oils and whether there are any conflicts.

20150228_SOTDS_zpse3bzzrd6.jpg

Brush: Plisson L'Occitane Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: The Beach
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Post-shave: Moroccan Organic Argan Oil

Finally had the Weber out again, it has been a while - and boy what a great shave it was...the universal love for this razor is really well deserved and it really gets the job done beautifully...

Second shave with Plisson and it flew already across the bathroom, the universally dislike for this handle is also well deserved :)

Having said all that - PERFECT shave - and the post-shave feel from the Argan Oil is also sensational - again many thanks to @razorguy for this great tip...although I like the smell of my oilive oil way better, the argan oil seems to be absorbed faster into the skin...guess I will have to alternate :) :) :)

Second shave with Plisson and it flew already across the bathroom, the universally dislike for this handle is also well deserved :)
Universal dislike for the handle? Hmmm.... I like the wood grain and I've never had it slip out of the hands yet. So if I disagree then it's not universal. [emoji4]

I do agree with you regarding the universal love for the Weber PH though! [emoji106]

RN8ddsh.jpg

Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Cella
Razor: Gillette NEW DeLuxe Big Boy
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Post-Post-Shave: Argan Oil

Last shave with the Gillette NEW DeLuxe. I am going to be so sad to see this one go back to the Canberra Gillette Museum. Of the open combs I have used over my time this is definitely rated the highest of the Gillette OCs - such an exquisite balance of smoothness and efficiency. Noting the iKon DeLuxe OC is modelled after this razor, the iKon is now top of my list right besides the Feather ASD2 for hardware acquisitions.

I am resolved to getting rid of a vast portion of my software. Top of my list was the Cella. I mean it was the second soap I ever bought (behind the Edwin Jager Sandalwood that was PIFed to @Mong. if I recall) so it has some sentimentality attached to it. Having said that I've not gotten the best lathers out of it - compared to subsequent top-shelfers that have come along. But a little PC PM tête-à-tête left me with the impression that I need to load up a little more liberally. So last lather before it hits the BST. Well almost. Noting the longer load made a rich thick nice lather, and noting the unrobotic sound of the ingredient list, this little tub's been put back in the bathroom cabinet.

Finally, I'm going to try a more natural astringent and post-shave balmification process. Stocked up on some witch hazel, and I've bought some other supplies to make a little post-shave concoction. But I tried the witch hazel raw this morning. Hope the addition of aloe, rosewater, glycerine, etc., will add a little more quality as the witch hazel alone didn't give me the same restorative feeling as my ever-faithful Speick. Also found some pure
organic Argan Oil at my local whole food/healthfood store and so with @razorguy 's latest SOTDs echoing through my mind I bought and applied this morning. Face feel is really, really, nice. Just keen to see how it mixes with my natural oils and whether there are any conflicts.
http://bullgooseshaving.com/ikon-oss-with-cerakote-head/ ???
Not a fan of them though, found their service lacking when put to the test, so suggest trying to find a competitor that will pricematch.

Only 1 shave today at 3.30 in the arvo.

Cold water shave
Preshave: none
Soap: P160
Strp: Dovo
Razor: Dovo SS 5/8 - 3 pass shave tidy-up.
AS: Nivea Balm

Was a little bit raw and tender this morning after the straight last night. Close shave last night, but too close maybe. So no DE shave this morning. Gotta love that P160 soap. great lather and glide. Love using the straight. I don't usually use balm (a little oil type feel for an hour or so) but I had this laying around from when I first started with the straight and after waking up this morning a bit tender around the face, well I used it.

Mid-afternoon shaves have their place. There is plenty of light to see every angle on your face and as there is not much happening at that time of the day I could relax and enjoy the whole experience.

Shave of the Evening.

R41 - Personna somethingorother (3)
Simmo Case
Truefitt & Hill 1805 Cream (Thanks @Mark1966 )
Truefitt & Hill 1805 Aftershave.

Happily smelling like a Truefitt & Hill 1805 factory now.

The scent profile of the cream is very close to the A/S they have done a great job matching these up. Particularly while lathering.

The cream is the densest cream I've come across. Having used artisan soft soaps for a while now creams like tobs feel a bit foamy and light (fake feeling?). Maybe just my poor technique. Not so the T&H cream is so dense it's like a soft soap. It would come slowly out of a tube I imagine. BUT that denseness translates directly to excellent thick lather.

I soaked my brush in cold water (hot arvo) and with tobs it wouldn't matter at all. However without the heat to melt the cream it ended up with a couple of chunkier little bits that avoided the lather machine that is my pure simmo. This wasn't a problem, it just underlined that this was a denser soapier cream. I find my tobs grapefruit has that explode tendency and is a mess with slightly too much water. This one built up much more like a soft soap, and thirstier too.

A great cream, glad I could try it.

I don't think I'd get tobs again, if I was in the market for cream I'd head straight to the T&H stand.

Brush: Vulfix 2233
Razor: Rocket HD
Blade: Permasharp (2)
Cream: Speick
A/S: Speick

The PSS worked a bit better in the Rocket HD than the Weber but it's still not a great blade for me.

Brush: Vulfix 2233
Razor: Rocket HD
Blade: Permasharp (2)
Cream: Speick
A/S: Speick

The PSS worked a bit better in the Rocket HD than the Weber but it's still not a great blade for me.

Offer stands mate - blade for blade - your choice depending on amounts of PSS you have between Gillette Platinum, IP Red and Astra Greens and other bits and pieces.

Offer stands mate - blade for blade - your choice depending on amounts of PSS you have between Gillette Platinum, IP Red and Astra Greens and other bits and pieces.
I think I've got 25 of the PSS remaining. Be happy to swap for the Gillette Platinums.

Think I got 4-5 boxes so we might be good! Set 'em aside mate...and I'll do the same. Again 25 will easily fit in a sub $1.40 envelope

Good work guys :)

Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Fougere Aromatique
Razor: Gillette NEW SC
Blade: Feather (2)
After-shave: Myrsol Antesol

On the tail end of my shaves with @Lifes a Peach 's NEW SC. Gotta say it's been a nice experience - esp. with a Feather loaded and today was no exception....well it was a bit of an exception actually. I was checking the cabinet for the box so I can ship the razor back to LaP on Monday. Heart stopped a couple of times as I couldn't find the bloody thing anywhere - anyway found it finally...exactly here I looked the first time....but something was rattling in it. Huh? On closer inspection were two sample pots of soap. Plum forgot about them. So tried the darker specimen based on scent alone. Got to say the lather produced was incredible. A veritable yoghurt explosion in the bowl. The lather did tend to dissipate on the face a little and the post-shave feel a tad dry but it can all be forgiven as the slickness was phenomenal - made up for a third of the shortcomings and the scent the other two thirds. Oh boy, absolutely love it!!! Scent is about as subtle as a Southern European tuning a beautiful woman, and that suits me fine, but sooo good it made me pop the top off my vintage Paco Rabbane and splash a little liberally for a normal work day. This is no small feat as this stuff is reserved for special occasions as it's getting very hard to source indeed. I feel pretty damned good about now I must say...

Hats off to @Barrister & Mann - great soap mate!
Heads up to @Lifes a Peach - hand up high here if you need to relieve yourself of that pot!

@stillshunter: Glad you like it! Add more water. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.