Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a coffee tamper. Use it to press the coffee into the portafiler. Handle is in Wenge. I was trying to be artistic. It's part of my coffee themed Sotd.
Appreciate the explanation as I wondered whether you were grinding your own tallow.

Nice subtle touches which are obviously lost on philistines like me...hey I'm not of the Order of International Roast but I do admit to being of the tribe that many scoff, deride and hate as I am pretty happy my Nespresso machine - especially compared to the rubbish that passes as coffee in Canberra.

I work on lygon at in Melbourne [emoji6]
Yeah thanks for that! You know the brown stuff that runs in your gutters, that is a step above what 'baristas' burn and pour here in Canberra.

One of the best coffees and breakfasts I've had was on Little Collins I believe.

Universal dislike for the handle? Hmmm.... I like the wood grain and I've never had it slip out of the hands yet. So if I disagree then it's not universal. [emoji4]

I do agree with you regarding the universal love for the Weber PH though! [emoji106]
Sorry, but for me this handle is of poorest quality, its light, doesn't feel good in my hands and is slippery - coming from someone who never had an expensive brush...whatever you want to say about this brush - the handle is definitely one of its weak points IMO

Sorry, but for me this handle is of poorest quality, its light, doesn't feel good in my hands and is slippery - coming from someone who never had an expensive brush...whatever you want to say about this brush - the handle is definitely one of its weak points IMO
Well I agree that it's handle is its weakest point- I don't mind it that's all. If you got it for $100 than you'd be spewin'... I have both the current and older model, and I feel the older handle is slightly better.

It's rare for me to find a brush handle slippery (even resin) as I tend to lather with a damp brush ana add water. If you go nuts with the water (like the infamous Marco or Leisureguy) then of course you'll get lather everywhere.

Anyway, I know it's a package deal but the handle is changeable. I'm happy with it but other aren't -which is why you can always change it. [emoji6]

Sunday 1 March 2015

194755d1425217135-sun-march-01st-sat-march-07th-sotd-01032015.jpg

Mastro Livi Inox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

This is the latest razor I ordered to Mastro Livi and this is going to be added to the ones I will bring with me on my business trips. Very simple, yet effective, it is a 6/8 with a round point, made from the very same stainless steel used for Grifetto, it in fact has the "Inox" mark handwritten by Mastro Livi. Just like every other straight razor made by Mastro Livi and using this stainless steel, it gives a lovely and smooth shave, something I would consider in-between carbon steel and RWL-34. Of course, this is the razor i am going to bring with me on my next business trip!​
  • Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Tabac Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Frank Shaving Synthetic - 22mm
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Mennen Skin Bracer

@razorguy what line of business are you in mate ?
Think I might have to take it up, looking at your extensive and expensive straights collection :)

Razor - rocket Parat
Blade - Schick Super Stainless (Energizer)
Cream - Nivea Original
A.F - Aqua Velva Ice Sport

I started with a Derby Extra but after 3 strokes I had to give up as the blade was duller than butter D: I was like '' What the bloody hell ? That's a fresh blade : / ''.

• Soap: Cella
  • Brush: Omega 10066
  • Razor: Weber PH
  • Blade: PolSilver SI [1]
  • Post-Shave: Witch hazel + Nivea Sensitive Balm

After going away for the weekend I have been reminded of two things.

Firstly, I really love my Weber PH. I took my EJ DE89 away with me, which used to be my go to razor. It is still a great razor, but the Weber is easily more efficient and just as smooth.

Secondly, girls have a lot of surface area on their legs. My wife decided to use my gear, and as much as we say that the Plisson is a lather machine, we ran out of lather twice. I now know what the Omega professional brushes must have been designed for...

Great shave this morning. Sydney was hit with a very strong southerly last night after a 38 degree day, so it was nice this morning to be able to look to the winter scents. I haven't used Cella in months... It was just as good as I remember. Great stuff that.

PS, thanks @razorguy for the nice SOTD layout :)

20150302_SOTDS_zpshrhmzxeh.jpg

Brush: Plisson L'Occitane Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: Otoko Organics
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Post-shave: Moroccan Organic Argan Oil

Summer is almost over and I realised I hadn't used my go to summer soap yet...again another fantastic shave!

Secondly, girls have a lot of surface area on their legs. My wife decided to use my gear, and as much as we say that the Plisson is a lather machine, we ran out of lather twice. I now know what the Omega professional brushes must have been designed for...
Yep. That's what I use my Omega Pro brush for - shaving my wife's legs. [emoji6] Tons of lather.

Reactions: MrT
Razor: 'fill in the blank'
Brush: Shavemac Silvertip
Cream: GF Coconut
Blade: Polsilver (2)
Preshave: Edwin jagger

Well gents this morning was mild enough to break out my G20 scuttle. Haven't used it a while being summer and all. What a fantastic shave let me tell you. Warm lather, soft tips and a 15 minutes to myself.

Brush: Plisson synthetic
Pre-Shave: Occams Crushed Lime Pre-Shave
Soap/Cream: Tiki Bar Soap Cabernet & Neroli (thanks to @Anthony)
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Personna Super/Lab [1]
After-shave: Johnny GoodSir TMBR

The Tiki Bar soap has a lovely scent. Thanks to @Anthony for this soap. It was my first time using Tiki shave soap. The lather was thick and rich, but perhaps it is me, but I felt it lacked in the cushioning department. I'll need to give it more attention to work out it if this is true or not. The scent is very lovely.

Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap/Cream: Mike's Barbershop
Razor: Gillette Open Comb TTO - Sheraton?
Blade: Permasharp Super (1)
After-shave: War lotion
Post-After-Shave: Argan Oil

First shave with the Gillette Open Comb TTO. Was a curve ball thrown into the mix by @Mark1966 so hope he can help ID it - Sheraton or Aristocrat? As is my custom I start with another blade and end with the Feather. Looking forward to what comes later as this morning's shave was a little rough. I don;t think it's the PSS, but maybe it is, but this was far less smooth than the previous OCs. ....yep even the older types I've tried (and an old-type is up next week!). Oddly the WTG pass was the roughest and things kinda smoothed out by the XTG. I hazarded an ATG pass but deferred to a little hybrid-XTG action as I was fearful of damaging my face...hey you look like me you got to preserve every bit of beauty non-uginess you got.

Mikes and 1305 were exemplary.

This sort of shaved deserved the loving after-kindness of Speick but I'd
resolved to testing my new DIY concoction. I will call it my "WAR splash or lotion" I think - as the main ingredients are witch hazel, aloe and rose water....and a little glycerine. Soothed the face really nice...keen to try it out a little more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.