Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a Feather into it mate. SERIOUSLY!!!

BTW isn't Carven Vertiver an EdT rather than AS?

That will be next - maybe even tomorrow.

I understood the Carven came as both an EdT and an AS - I was told this was the AS but I'm not an expert. Could explain the sting sometimes :)

20150308_SOTDS_zpsztj8tbo6.jpg

Brush:
Plisson L'Occitane Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum (New Formula)
Razor: Above the Tie R1 Kronos
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Post-shave: South Australian Organic Olive Oil

Beautiful Sunday shave - birds, sun and a perfect BBS with fantastic post shave feel :)

Enough of the Plisson though, six shaves in a row and nothing has changed since the first...will post my thoughts in the appropriate section.

It seems to work OK but I was worried the whole time about dropping it ....
Really? I not once found this. It might look smooth, but there are lots of micro-texture to the aluminium powdercoating...not as exaggerated but a similar idea to what you find on a camera body.
Nikon%20D5100%2015-580-100.jpg

look carefully...
slideshow_2.jpg

Last edited:
Oh how I miss the Standard! It is right up there on my 2016 Acquisition List along with some iKon razors, Wickhams and Barrister & Mann soaps and my dearest Myrsol.
It's only March and your list is already long! Perhaps you'll spend more in Jan 2016 than you would have spent throughout 2015 if not for a Sabbatical... (Just sayin' [emoji14])

Really? I not once found this. It might look smooth, but there are lots of micro-texture to the aluminium powdercoating...not as exaggerated but a similar idea to what you find on a camera body.
I agree. Never had an issue with gripping the handle of the Standard. But can understand the hesitation about "grippyness".

I agree. Never had an issue with gripping the handle of the Standard. But can understand the hesitation about "grippyness".

I agree, it is 'grippy' but as I said -

It seems to work OK but I was worried the whole time about dropping it ....

While it works OK it seems like it will slip any minute - probably all in the mind and you get used to it but ...[/QUOTE]

....and a fan knot?

Also mate if you ever want to part with that Feather AS-D2 please, please PM me!

Thanks I'll keep that in mind [emoji4] but in all honesty I doubt I would ever part with it [emoji56]. For me it just sums up the benefits of wet shaving. Smooth healthy skin and a precision tool that with time is a cinch to use. I am able to basically shave in the dark with this thing, I know it so well.

And yes a fan knot... I actually ordered a bulb at the time and received it by mistake. But over the 30 or so shaves it really has come into its own.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind [emoji4] but in all honesty I doubt I would ever part with it [emoji56]. For me it just sums up the benefits of wet shaving. Smooth healthy skin and a precision tool that with time is a cinch to use. I am able to basically shave in the dark with this thing, I know it so well.
Thanks mate, that's the second best thing I could have heard .

Seriously, I've really come to appreciate Feather blades (once I got better with my technique) - esp. in a smoother razor like the Standard - that I have a very strong feeling this razor might replace the Weber in 2016 (if I have to resort to a purchase). By chance how do you feel the AS-D2 compares to the Standard and the Weber?

I am so on topic!

Thanks mate, that's the second best thing I could have heard .

Seriously, I've really come to appreciate Feather blades (once I got better with my technique) - esp. in a smoother razor like the Standard - that I have a very strong feeling this razor might replace the Weber in 2016 (if I have to resort to a purchase). By chance how do you feel the AS-D2 compares to the Standard and the Weber?

I am so on topic!

I haven't used a standard but had a brief go with the webber. From memory the Webber holds the blade much flatter and is bottom heavy. The Feather ASD2 (even vs the ASS1) curves the blade much more so the edge follows the curve in the top cap. Using a shallow angle and resting the head on curved section of the top cap flattens the skin and shaves close. Holing the razor half way up, it pendulums; feeling very balanced.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Shaving Soaps - Mountain (?)
Razor: Standard Razor
Blade: Feather (3)
After-shave: Old Spice (current formulation)

I can see why @stillshunter raves about this - great shave with the Feather, smooth, close but without the fear factor the Feather traditionally induces.

Despite this I still don't like the razor ....

More correctly, I don't like the handle, the feel of it is just not right.

I'm not sure how this head would go on another handle, especially one of normal weight, but I'd be happy with just the head - maybe on the RRSS handle?

Sorry Standard lovers - I don't share the love.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Shaving Soaps - Mountain (?)
Razor: Standard Razor
Blade: Feather (3)
After-shave: Old Spice (current formulation)

I can see why @stillshunter raves about this - great shave with the Feather, smooth, close but without the fear factor the Feather traditionally induces.

Despite this I still don't like the razor ....

More correctly, I don't like the handle, the feel of it is just not right.

I'm not sure how this head would go on another handle, especially one of normal weight, but I'd be happy with just the head - maybe on the RRSS handle?

Sorry Standard lovers - I don't share the love.
@Monsta_AU when's our Unlike (n) button arriving?

Ha Ha. Would be interesting to try another handle actually mate - do you have the Weber back. Having said all that I'd be just as happy if they crafted the whole thing - maintaining that head geometry - from Stainless Steel. Something about aluminium bothers me, it, ummm, isn't it responsible for, ummmm, what's that thing called when you get old and lose your ...ummmm....when do the visitors arrive?

SoaJFmD.jpg

Shave of the Lid is now Nannys Silly Soap - Citrus Zinger. A great sweet citrus that reminds me a little of an orange&lime iceypole

Rolled out my pack of blades and tried a Schick Super Stainless that the good man @filobiblic sent with something a while ago.

Wow! What a smooth close shave! Being new to DE's the subtle nuances of various blades are a bit lost on me, but I really enjoyed using this one!

Then I go to find where to buy? Buy they say? And chuckle under their breath, buy??… you can't possible buy these! But please sir, I only have 5 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.