Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brush is probably the most underrated synthetic knot I know of.
It's right up there in my favorites and yet it's hardly ever talked about.
If you have the time, pls compare to the Muhle V2 XL and/or Chubby 2 Synth (y)

Pre-shave - Shower and Proraso Red.
Brush - Mühle 35K252 synthetic.
Soap - ARKO !
Razor - Rockwell 6C, plate 4.
Blade - Voskhod. (1)
Post-shave - Geo F. Trumper, Coral Skin food.
Fragrance - Nothing.

One quarter of the way through the month and I'm enjoying the shaves from the ARKO!

7 days down, 21 days to go with the Arko.

Don’t say you weren’t warned. Mark1966 may have used the word ‘haters’ for a reason.:)

Hmmm, I wondering about an inappropriate abuse of mod powers again now ...

nvSRRHam.jpg

Same set up, same motel.
Soap: Pb Phoenix
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Black Hawk
Blade: Feather Pro Super (3)

If you have the time, pls compare to the Muhle V2 XL and/or Chubby 2 Synth (y)

The fibre is very different from the STF.
The tips are not as soft...no other synthetic is actually as soft as the STF.

What I love about the full moon is the way it splays out and holds the lather. It's different to other synthetics and one that I really like. It's not as springy but the backbone is also there.

fKBDGKo.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Dr Dittmar Spezial
Razor: ATT SE1 / UFO Tornado
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (5)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: YSL Rive Gauche

Very comfortable shave. Two passes, then a couple of clean-up buffs for a DFS+ result. Dr Dittmar soap produces a very good lather; it doesn't feel quite as slick as some other soaps, but it seems to allow very close yet comfortable blade contact, resulting is excellent efficiency. Also feels terrific on the face and post shave.

(muttering indistinctly) ..die arko stick, die you laundry scented fiend...... what's that, we're live?..........
NH1Uidel.jpg

I mean.......Wow that Arko stick is so economical and the scent...... is erm.. exquisite.

Soap: arko
Brush: Vulfix Travel Boar
Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (3)
AS: B&M Seville

The Rapira blade did a great job but certainly not as smooth as the vintage Nacet I used earlier in the week, but maybe not a fair comparison given this was third use of the Rapira.

07LPjIfl.png

Glad to be heading home. I've seen the Darling stopped flowing before but I haven't seen it this sad. Just a series of putrid salty puddles. So many animals dead or dying. Took a run out to White Cliffs and the absence of road kill was noticeable. The local comment was there's no feed so the animals have died. What was amazing was driving back we passed through a dust storm then downpour and land which is dry and barren quickly turned into a sheet of water.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forysth P&C LE Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: The one, the only, ARKO! shaving soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head (replated) on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (5)
Post-shave: Mysrol Formula C aftershave splash
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Halfeti

mEI00wQl.jpg

Brush: Simpsons, Tulip 3, Manchurian
Soap: APR Fenchurch
Razor: ATT, Windsor, Bamboo handle
Blade: Feather
Earworm: Don't Believe The Hype - Public Enemy

I have been trying something new recently which has been working out really well for me (YMMV).

In preparation I wash my face with a unscented, high glycerine soap and then leave the lather on my face. I have then been bowl lathering for a couple of minutes and then applying the lather on top of the thin layer of soap on my face. I've done this all week and I've had some of the best shaves I've ever had. Really slick face feel and absolutely zero irritation. Especially around my neck, which is usually a problem area for me. I got this idea from a post that @todras made. I think he said (apologies if this is incorrect) that he prepares his whiskers with a Valobra high glycerine and high lanolin soap. Not sure if he washes this off though.

Anyway, as well all know there are a hundred ways to skin a cat. This one is currently working for me.

Bring on the weekend.

Shower
Merkur 1904
Personna Lab blue (4)
Arko!
Omega 49
Re-lather and cold rinse

3 ATG passes for a DFS+. Still the same sensation from the Arko - not getting any better or worse. I'm putting it down to the Distyrylbiphenyl Disulfonate. Kinda feels similar to the effect of chlorine in the pool... I'm sure I can live without it.

Pre: shower and Proraso Pre-cream
Brush: Yaqi Timber Wolf
Soap: Uncle Jon's Tahitian Dream
Razor: Rockwell 6S (3)
Blade: Gillette Vintage Spoiler (7)

I want to take it easy with extending too much use from this first spoiler blade, but each shave seems so smooth that i leave it in the razor for the next day! Maybe i'll stop at 10.
The tingling from the soap i experienced for the first few days is almost non-existent now, so i guess my face is used to the ingredients??

wash my face with a unscented, high glycerine soap
Care to share what soap this is? Also, what is 'high' glycerine?
This is one pre-shave ritual i am yet to try....

... I'm putting it down to the Distyrylbiphenyl Disulfonate. Kinda feels similar to the effect of chlorine in the pool...

So your face is now free of bacteria that can be hazardous to humans just like chlorine does in a pool!

Wonderful - just another BONUS effect of using ARKO!

Pre: shower and Proraso Pre-cream
Brush: Yaqi Timber Wolf
Soap: Uncle Jon's Tahitian Dream
Razor: Rockwell 6S (3)
Blade: Gillette Vintage Spoiler (7)

I want to take it easy with extending too much use from this first spoiler blade, but each shave seems so smooth that i leave it in the razor for the next day! Maybe i'll stop at 10.
The tingling from the soap i experienced for the first few days is almost non-existent now, so i guess my face is used to the ingredients??

Care to share what soap this is? Also, what is 'high' glycerine?
This is one pre-shave ritual i am yet to try....
I use a couple of pre shave soaps. One is Mister Joe from Razorock, via VShod, the other is an un-fragranced soap from Mama bear's. I find these (the Mama Bear's) to be good soaps on their own, but I like using it as mentioned.

I use a couple of pre shave soaps. One is Mister Joe from Razorock, via VShod, the other is an un-fragranced soap from Mama bear's. I find these (the Mama Bear's) to be good soaps on their own, but I like using it as mentioned.
I wouldn't mind grabbing the Razorock even just for the menthol - how strong is the scent? I'd prefer it not clash with the shave soap of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.