Status
Not open for further replies.
s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: D.R. Harris - Windsor
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai PINK
Post-shave: Shower, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, nothing else required.

Some of you guys have hundreds of soaps, and I wonder how you get out of bed in the morning. I was struggling with choices among just these few dozen lovely samples, but the D.R.H. from @rhodes96' care package was calling to me very quietly but insistently. It's been well over 20 years since I last used a real hard soap, and I anticipated hurdles, but straight from brush to head and face this gave an easy, slick lather. Everything about it oozes quality (in as much as a triple-milled soap can ooze anything), and the scent just says very quietly "I've got this just right, and no further statement required". This soap has landed squarely and immediately in my top 5 favourites. Two of the five are British! No bowing to Kansas here :D

Two opposite extremes - the Feathers are probably the sharpest that money can buy, the Merkur blades the roughest. :eek: I threw away my Merkur blades. If you find the Feathers just a little too much, I'd suggest trying the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow, which is close in sharpness, but a lot smoother - IMO the best modern DE blade available.
s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: D.R. Harris - Windsor
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai PINK
Post-shave: Shower, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, nothing else required.

Some of you guys have hundreds of soaps, and I wonder how you get out of bed in the morning. I was struggling with choices among just these few dozen lovely samples, but the D.R.H. from @rhodes96' care package was calling to me very quietly but insistently. It's been well over 20 years since I last used a real hard soap, and I anticipated hurdles, but straight from brush to head and face this gave an easy, slick lather. Everything about it oozes quality (in as much as a triple-milled soap can ooze anything), and the scent just says very quietly "I've got this just right, and no further statement required". This soap has landed squarely and immediately in my top 5 favourites. Two of the five are British! No bowing to Kansas here :D

Whooohooo:)(y)

Glad you liked it.

Two opposite extremes - the Feathers are probably the sharpest that money can buy, the Merkur blades the roughest. :eek: I threw away my Merkur blades.

Try a feather in the DE89, I used that combo today.. cant beat it.. still super smooth but also very sharp

I'll give them both a try in the next week or so and report back with my thoughts :D

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter/APR ~ Texaus (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- Karve SS 'SB-D' / Vintage Gillette US Spoiler #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

I'll give them both a try in the next week or so and report back with my thoughts :D

look forward to hearing your thoughts.. also German Wilikinson sword (black packet) and gillete 7 oclock sharp edge are also excellent in this razor. The are still quite sharp but a little smoother than the feathers.

reason i use feathers is cos they are the sharpest blade I have while the DE89 is the mildest razor i have so i need the sharpness for it to be effective

I don't like it. I love it. :love:
look forward to hearing your thoughts.. also German Wilikinson sword (black packet) and gillete 7 oclock sharp edge are also excellent in this razor. The are still quite sharp but a little smoother than the feathers.

reason i use feathers is cos they are the sharpest blade I have while the DE89 is the mildest razor i have so i need the sharpness for it to be effective

Have you tried the Bic's and Viking Sword in the D89?

never used a viking sword blade anywhere before, but I do have a packet of BICs somewhere.. I did try the bic's in another razor and they were ok but a bit rough feeling for me

The first shave on the Bic wears down the Platinum coating, or you wet hand strop the blade on the palm of your hand 5-10 times each side. The smoothness will then be felt. These blades are in the same sharpness category as Feather only smoother. The Viking sword are an Isreali blade which are super sharp and smooth from the first shave. Good for 3-4 shapes at that level, then they start to loose efficiency. I now always hand strop a blade on shave 5 or 6 to see if ai can increase some mileage from the blade. Some blades react well, some don't.

I think Vshod were selling the Viking swords at one stage, and Razor Blades Club also. The Viking sword blades are no longer in production as The ASR factory in Isreal was shut down and production of blades under the Personna label was moved to Germany.

never used a viking sword blade anywhere before, but I do have a packet of BICs somewhere.. I did try the bic's in another razor and they were ok but a bit rough feeling for me
I see somebody suggested a Bic with R41 as tested by Geofatboy for his recent review of the R41GS and it paired well?!
Sadly I ran out of my sample packs but a good alternative to more expensive Feather/Kai blades.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Shavemac 386 handle Brown Beige D01 Fan 24mm x 50mm
Soap:- Blue DeVil Bay
Razors: Timeless 0.68 SB - Scalloped Head
Blade:- Vintage Gillette Red (1)
Aftershave:- Captains Choice/Ogallala Bay Rum

mGBYbYc.jpg

The 386 is a nice little brush dense bristles and not too spongey
Hard to rate the brush when the soap is so effortlessly good :)(y)

I see somebody suggested a Bic with R41 as tested by Geofatboy for his recent review of the R41GS and it paired well?!
Sadly I ran out of my sample packs but a good alternative to more expensive Feather/Kai blades.

Bic's are cheap on Amazon if you have a prime account.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: WCS - tortoise shell 26mm synthetic
Soap/Cream: Grooming Department - Cedarwood
Razor: Homelike Shaving- Colibri (1.5)
Blade: - Derby Premium (7)
Post-shave: Murphy & McNeil- Nantahala AS splash & Balm

2 pass WTG + touchups daily shave = DFS+ Another nice shave. The palm strop added a little smoothness and efficiency back into the blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.