Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the video @SpeedyPC I'll give that technique a go, I think my hands naturally slide very close to the head so I'll actively manage that. The zero pressure still gets me haha, I'll start the shave zero pressure and then notice I've slowly started applying more pressure as I get more confident and have to reel it back in!

Yeah @Gargravarr, I went to the BICs from the Astra Green because they're apparently sharper and I definitely noticed a difference in the feeling, I didn't get a better shave but the difference did feel a bit nicer, perhaps smoother? I have some Nacets so will give them a try after this BIC!

I appreciate the tips guys! 😃

Spoke too soon, stupid nick today as my face leapt into my razor :(

A good reminder to always pay attention!

vVsGP4wl.jpg

Pre: Shower
Razor: Rocca R95
Blade: Minora
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Mew Brown
Soap: A&E Peaches and Cognac

Without a doubt, this is my ultimate hardware combo, Rocca V4 with Minora blades and a quality soap.. Nothing I have tried comes close to the smoothness/comfort of the shave and the resulting BBS

51238412667_217e2a5375_b.jpg

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ The Trail
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter - Two Kings
Razor: RR SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Professional Super
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

This soap is well and truly doughnutted now, but I'm not placing bets on the date of its demise, it might hang in there for weeks. Besides, I have a backup waiting in the wings... :)

Pre: Proraso pre-shave cream
Brush: TF Woodrot & Rhodium
Soap: Beaver Woodwright Aladin's Spice
Razor: Rockwell 6S plate 3 on all 3 passes
Blade: Gillette Minora (6 shaves)
After: Beaver Woodwright Aladin's Spice Aftershave

Oh that Aladin's Spice smells sooooo nice, and lathers like a demon too. I have 2 other sets from same maker to try yet too. But this one tops favourite so far.
The first Minora blade has been in every razor now, and still going strong after 6 shaves. Great shave today, no nicks, cuts, weeps, nothing.
Kinda wanna put a different blade in with same plates and settings to see if there is a difference (and use up random old packets of blades now that I have 200 Minora)

bI30geD.jpg

Pre: Proraso pre-shave cream
Brush: TF Woodrot & Rhodium
Soap: Beaver Woodwright Aladin's Spice
Razor: Rockwell 6S plate 3 on all 3 passes
Blade: Gillette Minora (6 shaves)
After: Beaver Woodwright Aladin's Spice Aftershave

Oh that Aladin's Spice smells sooooo nice, and lathers like a demon too. I have 2 other sets from same maker to try yet too. But this one tops favourite so far.
The first Minora blade has been in every razor now, and still going strong after 6 shaves. Great shave today, no nicks, cuts, weeps, nothing.
Kinda wanna put a different blade in with same plates and settings to see if there is a difference (and use up random old packets of blades now that I have 200 Minora)

bI30geD.jpg

Only 200 Minora Blades, you defiantly need Moar.:)

In a few years time you will thank me for the advice.

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes T-400 24mm Silvertip
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R95 Birch Bark
Blade: Gillette Stainless Minora (17) - thanks @rhodes96
Pre: Shower
Soap: MWF
Bowl: Peréira Shavery Unbreakable Lather Bowl
Post: Byron Bay Medicinal Herbs Dragons Blood Beauty Serum + The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml // TSW After Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS+

I'm looking forward to having time to take a preshave photo...

17th shave with this razor/blade combo and as good as it gets! :love:

Hope you all have a safe & relaxing (long) weekend!

Hey! Don’t forget me :joyful:

Yes,
I should have listened to you a few years ago about the Gillette Stainless! When I ran out in 2017 I was devastated. Kept telling myself Astra Stainless and the Thai Gillette Superthins will do as a substitute. Truth be told, I was in denial ( not the river in Egypt). Those blades are nothing special compared to the Gillette Stainless and it's now available renamed incarnation the Minora Stainless.

Yes,
I should have listened to you a few years ago about the Gillette Stainless! When I ran out in 2017 I was devastated. Kept telling myself Astra Stainless and the Thai Gillette Superthins will do as a substitute. Truth be told, I was in denial ( not the river in Egypt). Those blades are nothing special compared to the Gillette Stainless (red & white) and it's now available renamed incarnation the Minora Stainless.
200w.webp
200w.webp

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Restored Ever-Ready 150 with 22mm Silvertip Knot
Soap:- RazoRock - Medico Della Peste
Razor: H&S No.75
Blade: Wizamet (5)
Aftershave:- RazoRock - Medico Della Peste

PzxwmTs.jpg

Still going strong with beautiful smooth 2 Pass WTG DFS+ shaves all week with this kit.
The H&S No75 has a 0.75mm blade gap and neutral exposure which makes it extremely smooth and comfortable to shave with once you get the angle right.
This is what caused me to almost move it on because I still had stubble under the jaw caused by not lifting the head high enough and maintaining the razor angle
I tend to shave in 5 sections to maintain the angle and avoid razor burn cheeks, jawline, neck, chin, upper lip, repeat and no buffing if possible
Another tip from #TheLurker that made this weeks shaves so enjoyable is to add a few (and only a few x3 max) drops of glycerin to the puck before lathering. Works well with soaps that lack lubrication or dry out quickly like Razorock but not necessary with well lubricated soaps DG, M&M, Stirling etc.

How the razor? Pro & Con? is the base plate is plastic? and why do you choose this into your den?
Hi @SpeedyPC The base plate is made of 7075 Aircraft Grade Aluminium and is black anodized

Review from Ruds and Video says it all

The neutral exposure delivers a mid-aggressive shave with almost no blade feel. This leads to a close comfortable shave and no fear of over-shaving or irritation. The sweet spot is fairly narrow, but intuitive to find and easy to maintain. Having no blade tab exposure, and given its overall comfort, this razor delivers a “cruise control” type shave on the daily. (y)(y) and has a beautifully machined SS handle

Cons: the anodized coating can drag if lather not slick enough
Only achieve DFS+ and not BBS
Sweet spot is narrow

Status
Not open for further replies.