Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm absolutely 100% convinced the new Minora Stainless is the same as the old Gillette Stainless (red & white), however, the new Minora Stainless brand is slightly smoother than the old Gillette Stainless.
@Razor Burn is getting very close to 20 shaves showing no signs of the blade losing its edge. (y)

I tend to agree they're the same blade but for whatever reason I find the Minora a smidgeon smoother in my beloved Rocca, not to take away from the shave or end result.

Blown away with how effortless they shave and the fact I can achieve a 3 pass BBS has me convinced that they're by far the best DE blade $$$ can buy!!!

Not to take away from the Wizamet S.I as its equally smooth and long lasting but just doesn't cut as close with even regrowth lasting all day.
For me that's the key as plenty of blades cut close but only a handful shave my trouble spots (neck, chin) evenly with next to no irritation/redness. :love:

Brush: Yaqi 30mm Tuxedo
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R95 Birch Bark
Blade: Gillette Minora SS (19) - thanks @rhodes96
Pre: Shower
Soap: MWF
Post: RR New York A/S Splash // Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, ATG, XTG = BBS+

Was in a rush this morning so couldn't repost the photo but same set up as yesterday and equally impressive BBS+ results.

Nothing beats the Minora SS + R95 Birch Bark for shaves! :eek:

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

No love for Bic Chrome Platinum? IMHO it is sharper than anything other than the Feather and it has much better longevity.
Agree 100% in Bic's as they're equally sharp and pond for pond worth every cent compared to the Feather. I have seen them recommended as a good match with the beastly R41 and always a joy to use in a milder razor. (y) Not as smooth in the Rocca V4 but YMMV. :unsure:

Agree 100% in Bic's as they're equally sharp and pond for pond worth every cent compared to the Feather. I have seen them recommended as a good match with the beastly R41 and always a joy to use in a milder razor. (y) Not as smooth in the Rocca V4 but YMMV. :unsure:

Agree, The coating especially on the first shave can make the shave a little bitey and not so smooth. Shave 2-6 they have worked well for me and defiantly a sharp blade up there with the Nacet.

AirBnB shave...
s.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai PINK
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

A few days down south from today, and this is what I brought with me. I actually brought my Rover bowl too, but ended up not using it this morning.

51250309013_5dee0b637f_c.jpg

Gillette Tech
Feather Blade
Ever Ready C40 Restored 22mm synth nylon TGN loft set at 53mm
Arko
Old Spice

Gotta say the sticks bring the magic. First time trying and yes they do have a certain smell but the results are as good as any. For $1.50 you really cant go wrong or Lea for $2.00.
Also first time trying the newly restored brush and the knot is pretty nice.

Last edited:
ZWpnLgv.jpg

Yf2J4Ue.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: TF Custom/26mm Oumo SHD LotusTip
Soap/Cream: Squadron Sweetheart
Razor: Charcoal Goods Gen1 Lvl2
Blade: Gillette Minora (4)
Post-shave: Alum block, Hyaluronic acid, Wahl Bay Rum

Finally got the Oumo knot set properly; it's taken me a few shaves to come to terms with it. My only prior experience with badger knots was the first brush I bought, a small 24mm Frank shaving silvertip which was quite floppy. The TF/Oumo on the other hand is generously sized and has plenty of backbone (@ 50mm loft). Whipped up a bowl of great lather with the Squadron in no time.

51250309013_5dee0b637f_c.jpg

Gillette Tech
Feather Blade
Ever Ready C40 Restored 22mm synth nylon TGN loft set at 53mm
Arko
Old Spice

Gotta say the sticks bring the magic. First time trying and yes they do have a certain smell but the results are as good as any. For $1.50 you really cant go wrong or Lea for $2.00.
Also first time trying the newly restored brush and the knot is pretty nice.
It's funny, until recently I've never given those Ever-Ready brushes a moment's thought, but having seen your restorations, I've come to really appreciate them. That one's a beauty. (y)

Is that Arko a candidate for one of those new (old) tins? I've never yet used a stick, but I plan on getting a couple of D.R. Harris sticks next year for travel purposes...

Pre/Post: Nivea Skin & Stubble
Brush: Yaqi Everest
Soap: Blue Devil Tropical Colada
Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (1)

One of my off days. Poor initial lather (not enough moisture), sloppy technique resulting in a few nicks, a weeper over of an acne bump due to wearing masks again. Not sure if the blade contributed but it felt kinda harsh. In spite of all that managed a DFS+ with little to no razor burn in spite of the extra buffing, though I did relather with extra water halfway so maybe that helped. Think I'm gonna write this particular blade off early.
Didn’t even realise I sliced myself from the other night. Must have been from the blade corner. Is there an injuries of the day thread? :LOL:
CF2-A7762-A7-E1-4-B19-B963-95-FB7-F98-ED97.jpg

It's funny, until recently I've never given those Ever-Ready brushes a moment's thought, but having seen your restorations, I've come to really appreciate them. That one's a beauty. (y)

Is that Arko a candidate for one of those new (old) tins? I've never yet used a stick, but I plan on getting a couple of D.R. Harris sticks next year for travel purposes...
Indeed that’s why I’ve grabbed the vintage tins. That particular brush can I think be had NOS but it does scrub up nicely and with the blu tack filling the void it now has a nice weight. The bonus is that it works out as a reasonable price but only if you buy brushes as a lot. The shipping otherwise is as we all know painful.
51250711731_68d85e763b_c.jpg

Last edited:
@Ebonysw45 where are you getting Lea shaving sticks for $2?
Getting them from the UK along with the Arko. A mate ships stuff too me every now and then. Stuff I cant get here and or don’t want to pay exorbitant shipping for individual items. It’s kind of like the re-shippers people use from the States. The shaving gear is usually an add on.

Last edited:
Didn’t even realise I sliced myself from the other night. Must have been from the blade corner. Is there an injuries of the day thread? :LOL:
Looks like it's healing up pretty well.

It's funny, despite my having recently trumpeted my favorite alum hack, I left home yesterday without any of the dozens of styptic pencils or matches I've been given as freebies, possibly since I haven't needed any in months. Inevitably, I caught a mole this morning, and had to resort to loo paper... :rolleyes:

Looks like it's healing up pretty well.

It's funny, despite my having recently trumpeted my favorite alum hack, I left home yesterday without any of the dozens of styptic pencils or matches I've been given as freebies, possibly since I haven't needed any in months. Inevitably, I caught a mole this morning, and had to resort to loo paper... :rolleyes:
Ah Norman how I miss you. You have to be oldish to get that one.

Pre: Hot shower
Brush: TF Woodrot & Rhodium
Soap: Tallow + Steel, Grog
Razor: Asylum Evolution
Blade: Gillette Minora (11 shaves)
Fragrance: Tallow + Steel, Grog Aftershave Splash

Another very nice soap & splash combo

Minora at 11 shaves, in the Asylum Evolution. This Razor is definitely more aggressive than my Rockwell 6S #3 plate and Model T #3 adjustment setting.
"Life is too short for bad shaves" ;), so I'll leave the Minora blade longevity experiment to those who know what they're doing, while I go back to regular blade replacement.
Gotta take the edge off a few more old vintage blades I still have before Minora becomes my regular blade.

WDkwVQR.jpg

Rather than reposting yesterday's setup, here's the view from the front yard of this house...
view.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai PINK
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser

I had forgotten how much difference the water quality makes to the shave. Town water here, with a noticeable chlorine content. Most city dwellers would say it's fine, but I've become spoilt. At home I have rain or spring water (depending on season), and I'm finding I have to make my lather wetter, and used the TND for the first time in months.

Status
Not open for further replies.