Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Two Kings
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Gillette Minora Stainless #7
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Lagerfeld Classic

Hey @Pbgoose you're sure you aren't turning into a meth drug lab :ROFLMAO:

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Two Kings
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Gillette Minora Stainless #7
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Lagerfeld Classic

Hey @Pbgoose you're sure you aren't turning into a meth drug lab :ROFLMAO:
Pretty sure. I wouldn't know but I get the impression the ventilation is all wrong for that purpose so I'll stuck with making soap.

pvDOQyz.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: TF Custom/26mm Oumo SHD LotusTip
Soap/Cream: Squadron Sweetheart
Razor: Smart-Helix Apollo Light (Aggr. plate)
Blade: Gillette Minora (1)
Post-shave: Alum block, Pinaud Clubman musk
First run in the Apollo with a Minora and boyohboy did it shine. The Apollo really highlights the sharpness and smoothness of this blade.
The Squadron soap is on it's last legs and seems to be getting creamier, the resultant shave was DFS+.
+1 for the Apollo as the Minora pairs exceptionally well! (y)

Last two shaves

IMG-20210619-164423.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes Kryten Ti 28mm UDH Manchurian
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R95 Birch Barked
Blade: Gillette Minora Stainless (21) - thanks @rhodes96
Pre: Shower
Soap: AP Reserve Winterfall
Post: Byron Bay Medicinal Herbs Dragons Blood Beauty Serum + The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS+

IMG-20210621-164813.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Clear/Black/Yellow 26mm 2 Band Finest
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R94
Blade: Gillette Red & White Stainless (21) - thanks @rhodes96
Pre: Shower
Soap: AP Reserve Winterfall
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS

A shout out to the MHF Beanies for Brain Cancer Charity for raising over $4 Million AUD this past weekend!!! (y)(y)(y)
I made sure to purchase a beanie 'just in time for the cold weather as the last few days have been miserable...

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Blade: Gillette Minora Stainless (21)

Blade: Gillette Red & White Stainless (21)
Keep it up @Razor Burn (y) love seeing both blades of WAR! fighting each other side by side with the old Gillette Stainless (red & white) vs new Gillette Minora Stainless.

SOTN.
Well this Merkur Progress Adjustable is starting to make more sense to me. I have to say very efficient. Once you get the set up right and the angle right your hit a home run with it. Will keep it for one more shave and then return to it’s home.
Been and interesting journey with this one had one 4 years ago never fell in love with it, this time around with some miles under my belt made was a lot better as said above.
Not sure it would end up as a daily if I got one but intermediate only. It’s set up blade loading and gap setting is interesting took a little bit to work it out to be honest. Got it altogether in the end though. I’m glad I gave it another run though.
Shaver Heaven Honey Ale. Still one of the top 5 soaps from this past Artisian in the World in my opinion and except some would say otherwise.
Super Max Blue Diamond Blade
SxD Custom Shave Handle matched with a Cashmere HD Oumo knot 25mm
Stirling Splash niiiiiice 😊
8EduyqM.jpg

SOTN.
Well this Merkur Progress Adjustable is starting to make more sense to me. I have to say very efficient. Once you get the set up right and the angle right your hit a home run with it. Will keep it for one more shave and then return to it’s home.
Been and interesting journey with this one had one 4 years ago never fell in love with it, this time around with some miles under my belt made was a lot better as said above.
Not sure it would end up as a daily if I got one but intermediate only. It’s set up blade loading and gap setting is interesting took a little bit to work it out to be honest. Got it altogether in the end though. I’m glad I gave it another run though.
Shaver Heaven Honey Ale. Still one of the top 5 soaps from this past Artisian in the World in my opinion and except some would say otherwise.
8EduyqM.jpg
Is the brush so crap you’re trying to cut some hairs from it?

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Semogue Torga-C3 Extra IT Bristle Boar Shaving Brush
Soap:- Le Pere Lucien - Le Savon du Barbier
Razors:- Charcoal Goods Open Comb with Signature Shaving Co. SSC57 handle
Blade:- Wizamet(1)
Aftershave:- Le Pere Lucien - Le Savon du Barbier

PyIq2U4.jpg

LPL Traditional scent is very subtle with lavender, eucalyptus, rosemary, sage, and thyme.
Reminds me of crisp linen with a touch of eucalyptus

SOTN.
8EduyqM.jpg
Hmmm. You have to have one blade for your razor, and one for your brush. O...K... :unsure:

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Semogue Torga-C3 Extra IT Bristle Boar Shaving Brush
Soap:- Le Pere Lucien - Le Savon du Barbier
Razors:- Charcoal Goods Open Comb with Signature Shaving Co. SSC57 handle
Blade:- Wizamet(1)
Aftershave:- Le Pere Lucien - Le Savon du Barbier

PyIq2U4.jpg

LPL Traditional scent is very subtle with lavender, eucalyptus, rosemary, sage, and thyme.
Reminds me of crisp linen with a touch of eucalyptus
How you find that Soap I think only think I've tried it so long ago maybe that cannot remember what it was like

U6b01cc.jpg

Pre-shave: Water splashes.
Brush: Wahl Synthetic
Soap: @CraigE Blue Devil Shave Co - Lust Sample
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3) & Pearl Flexi
Blade: BIC Chrome (3) & Gillette Nacet (5)
Post-shave: QV Lotion

Thank you CraigE for the sample! Lust smells very nice, at first I thought it smelt like Turkish delight but after lathering it up it doesn't smell like the delecacy, but certainly delicacy of its own. Soap again lathered up really well, becoming one of the easiest in my collection to work with. The hydration range seems to be huge, I can "under-hydrate" it and not even know because it still works well and the only reason I know it's under-hydrated is because I can add a bunch more water after that and it still peaks and performs really well! But a tad more slick.

Was comparing the Rockwell 6C and Pearl Flexi tonight side by side. Wasn't really a fair fight so I'll have to try again another time with the same blade in each.

U6b01cc.jpg

Thank you CraigE for the sample! Lust smells very nice, at first I thought it smelt like Turkish delight but after lathering it up it doesn't smell like the delecacy, but certainly delicacy of its own. Soap again lathered up really well, becoming one of the easiest in my collection to work with. The hydration range seems to be huge, I can "under-hydrate" it and not even know because it still works well and the only reason I know it's under-hydrated is because I can add a bunch more water after that and it still peaks and performs really well! But a tad more slick.

Was comparing the Rockwell 6C and Pearl Flexi tonight side by side. Wasn't really a fair fight so I'll have to try again another time with the same blade in each.
The RW 6C does it for me all the way to the Bank ;)

Which razor won?
How you find that Soap I think only think I've tried it so long ago maybe that cannot remember what it was like
Its a good solid performer that hydrates well not as oily as most artisanal soaps

U6b01cc.jpg

Glad you are finding it easy to work with mate.

I can "under-hydrate" it and not even know because it still works well and the only reason I know it's under-hydrated is because I can add a bunch more water after that and it still peaks and performs really well! But a tad more slick.
I find the best point of hydration for most of the soaps I've tried is the stage where the lather "relaxes" and just begins to threaten to run down the handle of my brush. The ads for a lot of soaps/creams are (I think) a bit misleading in that they present a huge, thick layer of lather as an "ideal", but it's only that fraction of a millimetre that actually does the work.

U6b01cc.jpg

The Flexi looks real purty under that light. Can't wait for mine to come.

I find the best point of hydration for most of the soaps I've tried is the stage where the lather "relaxes" and just begins to threaten to run down the handle of my brush. The ads for a lot of soaps/creams are (I think) a bit misleading in that they present a huge, thick layer of lather as an "ideal", but it's only that fraction of a millimetre that actually does the work.
Yeah! I've been pushing the limits of hydration with my soap lately and it really has allowed me to get them extra slick and also guarantee no drying out on the face (sometimes I'm slow).

Which razor won?
I think I'm biased towards the Pearl Flexi at the moment. I'll have to do another (fair) comparison shave but the Pearl Flexi with the Nacet felt very smooth and comfortable, what I mean by that is I had no fear of cutting myself and not much stinging, warning feeling throughout the shave. The convenience of mowing through the growth on setting 6 and then quickly dialling it down to 0.5 for ATG is super handy for my current skill level. The Rockwell 6C didn't get a fair shot tonight because I accidentally started on plate R1 and then was also using a different blade.
Tomorrow I'll test them both on similar settings with the same blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.