Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif
I've been reading during bloody lockdown SH :muted: T!

Razor: DE89 + Yaqi brass handle
Blade: Feather
Brush: Yaqi 26mm tuxedo
Soap: B&M Lavanille
Splash: Milkman Autumn Leaves Serum

Not an enjoyable shave, the pre-loaded blade from the last time i used the razor was dragging across the face, didnt realize it was blunt and needed changing and the CBFs were too strong for me to swap it out as the blades were in another room

51326915707_ba70621575_b.jpg

SOTW

IMG-20210721-191904.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo H (both sides of plate)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Pre: Shower
Soap: MWF
Post: Allum block // Nivea 2 Phase Post Shave Lotion // Sukin Hydration Biomarine Facial Serum
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS

A crappy start to the week as the razor+blade combo left my neck with a few nicks and redness due to the aggressive side of the plate. Near BBS WTG but raw ATG even when switching to the milder side. As for lather, typical MWF that pales in comparison to the other soaps used this week. :(

IMG-20210719-223841.jpg

Yintal 3000s Brass TTO (#3)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5)
Soap: Grooming Department Charbon (Kairos)
Post: Allum block // Nivea 2 Phase Post Shave Lotion // Sukin Hydration Biomarine Facial Serum
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

A truly great soap that lathered well with an almost burning scent that reminded me of frankincense or maybe licorice...? Really nice and an improvement over the earlier GD soap base...

IMG-20210721-191706.jpg

Razor: Yintal 3000s Brass TTO (#3)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (6)
Soap: Mammoth Soaps Embrace (Tusk) sample - thanks @rhodes96
Post: Nivea 2 Phase Post Shave Lotion // Sukin Hydration Biomarine Facial Serum
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

What difference a plate+blade makes as this combo was very smooth and close with no bloodletting/irritation. Never tried this soap maker before but first impressions are fantastic as the sample produced a few days lather with a enjoyable scent!!! :love:

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

My first open comb
  • Prep: Hot Shower
  • Prep: Phoenix Shaving – Cube 2.0 Unscented
  • Razor: Yaqi – Stamford
  • Blade: Feather
  • Razor: Razorock – Lupo Aluminium
  • Blade: Derby Usta
  • Brush: Stray Whisker – 452/24 Synthetic
  • Lather: Phoenix Shaving – Clubguy
  • Post-shave: Proraso – Alum Block
After the week that I have had, I decided to leave work early for a change. Came home to find my SO and Mr 3 sleeping, so I took the opportunity for a head shave with my new Yaqi razor.

I haven’t had much luck with week old blades with just one use on them, not sure what it seems to be. I really wish it wasn’t so cold and I might actually shave more regularly than weekly.

I started today with the Stamford from Yaqi (my newest acquisition), but with two weeks of growth, it just didn’t want to bite and chew through my hair. My first experience with the Stamford is a very mild shave without much bite. After one pass and about 50% of the growth left, I swapped over to my Lupo with the Derby.

So much better! It brought the growth under control and we got down to my regular head shave expectations. I will have to give the Stamford another go with much less growth. Maybe I’ll go again in a few days, and see whether the Stamford is still mild, or just mild because of the long growth.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Shavemac Finest 23/46
Soap:- Murphy & McNeil - Triskele
Razor: ABC Pocket Edition
Blade:- Gillette Super Stainless (12)
Aftershave:- Murphy & McNeil - Triskele
The blade started to fade in the Fatboy but boy did it shine in the ABC. Single pass WTG = DFS and did not expect any more from 2nd pass, just using up the lather and enjoying the ritual.
This baby gets into every nook and cranny a very efficient razor. Question for the more knowledgeable vintage Gillette aficionado's: Is the ABC Pocket and Old Single Ring the same head?
#Classy
NyugLJG.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: WCS - Honeycomb white 26mm tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Imaginery Authors / Noble Otter - Telegrama
Razor: Blackland - Tradere SB
Blade: Gillette - Minora Stainless (35)
Post-shave: Imaginery Authors / Noble Otter - Telegrama AS splash / A&E - skin food nourishing cream

2 pass WTG + touchups daily shave = DFS+. Same razor, different blade to the previous days shave, and what a contrast. Practically a BBS with no irritation. It's remarkable how a razor blade with 35 shaves on it out performs a brand new blade of another brand in the same razor.

It's remarkable how a razor blade with 35 shaves on it out performs a brand new blade of another brand in the same razor.
Wow.

BTW, are you getting much difference in scent between soap and splash? I liked the soap sample you sent me, and I've had it in the back of my mind to look for the EDP if the opportunity arises...

Edit: here's a project for the brave: how about 365 shaves on one Minora blade... :eek::unsure:

EC8-C880-D-2-E8-C-4-D43-8-D38-1-F98-B73-D3-E22.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Nivea Skin & Stubble
Brush: Yaqi Everest
Soap: Fine Fresh Vetiver
Razor: Fine Marvel
Blade: Astra SP (1)

Luck of the draw from the pile of not favourite blades I set aside to use once in a while. Not particularly sharp or smooth, the Astra SP was the weak link in tonight’s shave. The Fine soap had great cushion and good glide considering the angled top cap surface didn’t drag much if at all.

I had low-ish expectations based on the mixed reviews around of the Fine Marvel, but I was pleasantly surprised. I managed a BBS- with barely any irritation. I can imagine a sharper blade would only feel better.

Speaking of which, the big safety bars mean minimal blade feel and I enjoyed the higher warmth it retains after rinsing. Pleasant shaving on this cold wintry night. I also didn’t find the big safety bars to impede manoeuvrability; I found it handled more than well enough to shave under my nose.

The angled top cap does lock you in into shaving its way and not the highway. However I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It’s reasonably efficient WTG, but ATG is where the Marvel shone for me, with that angled top cap making it almost effortless to keep the blade slicing true and through the trickier parts of my jawline and more sensitive skin of my neck. I could see this being my near-autopilot razor, and actually a good razor for beginners.

Finish wise the chrome plating isn’t great, it’s looks thick but I find it just lacks that little bit of elevated quality. I’d almost say the King C Gillette razor I had felt better finished. There’s also a tiny blemish on one edge of the top cap but it doesn’t affect anything shave wise.

All in all, still a fine razor which gave me a great shave; just know that you’d get better finish quality elsewhere at the same price.

Wow.

BTW, are you getting much difference in scent between soap and splash? I liked the soap sample you sent me, and I've had it in the back of my mind to look for the EDP if the opportunity arises...

Edit: here's a project for the brave: how about 365 shaves on one Minora blade... :eek::unsure:

The splash has stronger a more prominent pepper and woods notes initially, then dries down to that powdery, lavender, vanilla fresh fragrance. The sample edp I have is quite strong compared to the AS splash.

Project 365 is task that @SpeedyPC might participate in.:D

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney shaving brush
Soap/Cream: B&M Petrichor soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Super Iridium (5)
Post-shave: B&M Petrichor splash
Fragrance: N/A

Nice 2 1/2 pass shave to end the week !

CUHCndSl.jpg

... Question for the more knowledgeable vintage Gillette aficionado's: Is the ABC Pocket and Old Single Ring the same head?

Yes, and no from memory.

Yes, the head on the both of them is the same era, same patent and same design.

No, the ABC Pocket Editions were produced by American Button Co not Gillette, so there are slight differences arising from that.

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm SynBad
Soap/Cream: D.R.Harris - Windsor (y)@rhodes96
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+.
COTD: Sulawesi Rante Kapua Torajah

I've been looking forward to this soap all week. I think I'll keep it on as my weekend shave... :unsure:

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Shavemac Finest 23/46
Soap:- Murphy & McNeil - Triskele
Razor: Focus Slim Al
Aftershave:- Murphy & McNeil - Triskele
HRTEH7F.jpg

First shave with a shavette and a few weepers but nothing major. First time I have broken out the alum in a long while. Beautiful smooth 2 pass DFS+ not quite dolphin smooth all over
I am glad to have had the opportunity to try a shavette and will persevere until I have comfortably mastered the shave without nicking myself but feel it will never replace straights.

Status
Not open for further replies.