Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
reckon the first was with a wizamet, I did get razor burn with a minora + lupo 95 with too many passes but it’s different.. that was razor burn in specific places, this was frag burn as suggested but ALL over, like a blanket and bright red like I have been badly sunburned
All these theories popping up. Here's another suggestion: How about taking an antihistamine half an hour before your shave? If it settles it down, then all good, but if it still feels like burning, then maybe that's what it actually is. That would be a real no-no worthy of a public ass-kicking.

A lovely kamisori. Is that an asymmetric grind? I never learned how to do that, so when I made mine, I settled for a western grind...
Yes, asymmetric, but I don't exclusively use one side, I find that near impossible but find either side shaves fine and I use both hands. On a side note, is there a better way to post pictures from your gallery than using imgur or similar?

Reactions: Hos
Yes, asymmetric, but I don't exclusively use one side, I find that near impossible but find either side shaves fine and I use both hands. On a side note, is there a better way to post pictures from your gallery than using imgur or similar?
I've heard that most people don't exclusively use one side, but of course there'll be a different feel. As a matter of interest, do you hone these blades with the spine in contact with the stone?

For my pictures, I prefer Postimages, but the process is the same. Nothing's hosted at this site, as the bill is paid personally by @Monsta_AU (three cheers for the big shark :D) so it's only sensible to keep costs under control.

I've heard that most people don't exclusively use one side, but of course there'll be a different feel. As a matter of interest, do you hone these blades with the spine in contact with the stone?

For my pictures, I prefer Postimages, but the process is the same. Nothing's hosted at this site, as the bill is paid by @Monsta_AU (three cheers for the big shark :D) so it's only sensible to keep costs under control.
Apart from a bit of a refresh I don't hone them myself, but either way spine in contact with the stone. Number of laps on the stone varies per side, most use a ratio 1 to 7 or similar (7 laps on the non-stamp, she softer side) I have 16 kamisori, 14 traditional, one orihi, one modern western style (rasurpur)

Apart from a bit of a refresh I don't hone them myself, but either way spine in contact with the stone. Number of laps on the stone varies per side, most use a ratio 1 to 7 or similar (7 laps on the non-stamp, she softer side) I have 16 kamisori, 14 traditional, one orihi, one modern western style (rasurpur)
Thanks, I always wondered about that, even though I don't actually use a naked blade anymore (I stopped when I started shaving my head, I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy). I just had the one kamisori that I made for myself from an offcut of a nice pattern-welded billet (what most people erroneously call damascus) back when I was a full-time blacksmith.

It seems counter-intuitive to me that the stamps are in the hard side, but who am I to argue... :unsure:

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C Charity Auction LE shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux Weinstrasse shaving soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark handle
Blade: Iridium Super (1)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux Weinstrasse splash
Fragrance: Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux Weinstrasse EDT

I'm calling Spring, don't care WHAT the weather is doing.

Thank you to a very generous member here.

s9t0QjBl.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tux
Soap: Noble Otter - Northern Elixir - thanks (y) @Wilkskire13
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Professional
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

Definitely not the most appropriate soap to be using given Nature's way of saying that you can nag all you want, but it's emphatically NOT spring:

snow.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tux
Soap: Noble Otter - Northern Elixir - thanks (y)@Wilkskire13
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Professional
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

Definitely not the most appropriate soap to be using given Nature's way of saying that you can nag all you want, but it's emphatically NOT spring:

snow.png

Amazing pictures @Gargravarr.(y)
Still winter where you are. 30 degrees celcius in the land of northern lockdown yesterday.

Thanks, I always wondered about that, even though I don't actually use a naked blade anymore (I stopped when I started shaving my head, I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy). I just had the one kamisori that I made for myself from an offcut of a nice pattern-welded billet (what most people erroneously call damascus) back when I was a full-time blacksmith.

It seems counter-intuitive to me that the stamps are in the hard side, but who am I to argue... :unsure:
I suppose the hard side is the show side but it would be easier to stamp the softer side. I think the position is mostly as they won't get honed away over time.

Titan 1918 ACRO T.H-70, ARKO stick face lathered with a Chinese guaranteed pure best badger synthetic brush. Three very comfortable passes (WTG + 2 x XTG) gave my typical BBS+ result. Finished with a splash of my Wahl Bay Rum and Dickenson Witch Hazel mix (75%/25%).

I really enjoy the weight and stiffness of this razor. A pleasure to shave with.

Trendhim have just one of these straight razors still available for AUD 199 including shipping.

full

Full-time blacksmith? Make any nice knives? :D

Full-time blacksmith? Make any nice knives? :D
A few, yes. Never for myself though, except for that kamisori I mentioned, and that was only because I had a particularly nice billet of steel left over from a blade I made for a client. The usual story, the cobbler's children going barefoot. :rolleyes:

I was always flat-out busy, and anything I made for myself tended to be strictly utilitarian.

Solingen Best Quality Silver Steel
ZENITH unbleached bristle olive wood handle 506U XSE
Gentlemen's Quarter - Cavendish Black
Limited Edition P&C 2019 Auction Grey Bowl by Avalon Pottery

Stirling WHAM Menthol Witch Hazel & Aloe
OpHlLCS.jpg

10 shaves on this sample and I am smashing it, still another 4 - 6 shaves in the sample. Although my smashing is probably normal use for many.
2 x WTG = BBS - 6 hours later and still rubbery​

Rv4HhnGl.jpg

Soap: Pb Calendula/Chamomile
Brush: 26mm TF 2 Band
Razor: Jowika oooo
After a couple of months with not a lot happening on the building front finally some flooring and frames going up.
Remains now to be seen if I’ll have a job by the time it’s finished. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.