Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanksgiving (a bizarre American tradition) SOTD

UF1d1FC.jpg

ATT Aluminum SE1 / Proline / Vtg. Ever Ready 200 26mm 2 Band / ZM/B&M Nocturne Shaving Soap & AS

mGAYgZh.gif

Well except for these two -

f48Eec9.jpeg

Pre: Hot Shower
Brush: Dscosmetic T4
Soap: Nordic Shaving Company Coffee
Razor: British Rocket LD
Blade: GIllette Stainless (1)
Post: The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toner, Nivea Skin & Stubble

WTG, XTG, DTG (diagonally over the grain); always a reliable shave from the Rockets and the other TTOs of that era, the LD being a tad light for my liking.. The Nordic Shaving Co base is one of my top favorites.

Razor: Wolfman Ti WR2 1.05
Blade: Gillette Sharpedge
Brush: Turn-N-Shave M3 Galaxy Sorby
Soap: Oaken Lab Conservatory
EDP: Herod by Parfums De Marly

Daily shaving with the titanium 1.05 gap has been a dream. Nothing I’ve used has given me as close of a shave with only two passes, WTG and XTG. Extremely smooth with almost no blade feel and super nimble. I don’t feel the urge to buy the Ti Blackbird or Ti Carbon CX anymore, this razor has effectively killed my RAD, or at least until Blutt releases the BR-1 in titanium.
bQmBwAI.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Shavemac Americana D01 (3 band) 24/50 Bulb
Soap:- Dr Jon's Classic
Razor:- Blackland Vector Single Edge Razor, Machined Finish
Blade:- Schick P-30 Proline Artist Club (4)
Aftershave:- Dr Jon's Classic

5ryIqOI.jpg

Another lather monster, awesome brush for face lathering, whipped up a nice slick MdC lather in no time. BIC was nice but blade binned again with the standard 2-3 uses
I like the fact that it has become barely necessary anymore to announce the creator of your honey-badger brush. @TroyTools has already developed an unmistakable style of his own. That shape is perfectly suited to show off the lovely swirls in the resin. (y)(y)

Last edited:
IMG-20211125-181405-2.jpg

Brush: TROYCRAFT Clear, Blue, White 24mm 2 Band Finest
Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3 SB plate
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (1) - thanks @Gargravarr
Pre: Shower
Soap: A&E Asian Plum
Post: B&M Lime, Lavender, Cedarwood A/S Splash // Sukin Hydration Biomarine Facial Serum
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS++

First shave with the Hawk V3 and overall a wonderfully smooth yet efficient shave with no issues working out the angle. I'd place the Standard plate a smidgeon below the Vector & Rocca in blade feel and closeness as the neck and chin aren't quite BBS but enjoyed the experience and for those looking to scratch the SA Artisan Club itch I recommend the Hawk V3 as affordable and a great shave. For the more experienced maybe look to the "A" or OC plate if you enjoy more blade feel as not as noticeable with the Standard plate.

Maybe look for a different handle as the stock one may work with a Mamba but just feels weird with this razor. I'll experiment with other blades to see efficiency and if things stay smooth I'll look to add one as a solid compliment to my beloved Vector & Rocca. Thanks again @Gargravarr for the loan... (y)(y)(y)

Stay Safe (Dry) & Happy Shaves!

VVJY6mtl.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Towel
Brush: YAQI Janus Cashmere
Soap: Stirling - Electric Sheep
Razor: Pearl Flexi
Blade: Feather
Post-shave: Witch Hazel concoction.

My first shave with the Pearl Flexi and I love it. I like a weighty DE razor and this one is certainly it. Being more of a SR guy, this one will do me hopefully for many years to come.

It's also my first Stirling soap and although the Citronella is quite strong, it's a very clean scent and the soap is absolutely fantastic to use. It's already become one of my favorites but I'm not quite sure that I'd ever want to pair it with an aftershave. At least if I did, it would be great for camping to keep not only the mossies away but my missus as well.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Sharp Dressed Man shaving soap
Razor: Vintage (rhodium replated) L 1 Slim Adjustable (4)
Blade: Iridium Super (5)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Sharp Dressed Man splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Sharp Dressed Man EDT

Glad that this week is (nearly) over!

wpV0k91l.jpg

@Straight up may be on to something. He has been shaving a lot with his five Comoy's of London SR's lately so I found one to buy to give it a go.

My Comoy came with a typical factory edge. I set a proper bevel and put it through my honing progression before finishing up on diamond pasted balsa strops. This morning was my first shave with this SR.

All I can say is WOW! This is a cheapie SR but can shave like the best of them in my stable (Ralf Aust, Revisor, Cadman, etc.).

This morning's shave was:

Comoy's of London ¾ SR off diamond pasted balsa.
ARKO stick face lathered with a Chinese synthetic brush.

full

@Straight up may be on to something. He has been shaving a lot with his five Comoy's of London SR's lately so I found one to buy to give it a go.

My Comoy came with a typical factory edge. I set a proper bevel and put it through my honing progression before finishing up on diamond pasted balsa strops. This morning was my first shave with this SR.

All I can say is WOW! This is a cheapie SR but can shave like the best of them in my stable (Ralf Aust, Revisor, Cadman, etc.).

This morning's shave was:

Comoy's of London ¾ SR off diamond pasted balsa.
ARKO stick face lathered with a Chinese synthetic brush.

full
Yes they shave well once fixed up, but will never make the most desirable list.

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Green
Brush: Maggard 24mm synthetic
Soap: Blue Devil Strawberry Patch
Razor: Lupo 71
Blade: Treet Falcon Carbon Steel (1, 2)
Post-shave: Witch Hazel concoction.

I've used this combination a couple of times now and I've been pretty impressed with the Falcon blade. It feels a little tuggy, not uncomfortably so, but produces a pretty good result. The WTG first pass produced a few weepers in the same spot I'd had some on the last shave, so it could have just been taking the tops off of the healing spots. It wasn't as smooth or as comfortable as a Nacet, but in the 72 that is a fantastic combo, so I'm not surprised it's not as good. I did feel a little soreness for about 30 minutes after the shave but that went away and apart from a few little spots of redness, it was a decent shave.

The second shave was more comfortable and produced only a couple of tiny weepers. No irritation anywhere, and I was able to comfortably clean up my troublesome neck area with no issues.

Not my favourite blade, but if I had nothing else available to use, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Falcon. It will be interesting to see how they hold up over time.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Troycraft - Mink Nebula
Soap:- Noble Otter - Northern Elixer
Razor:- Blackland Vector Single Edge Razor, Machined Finish
Blade:- Schick P-30 Proline Artist Club (5)
Aftershave:- Noble Otter - Northern Elixer

lB09FK5.jpg

The brush that started the obsession with Troycraft 24mm Fans

rVIh1Zd.jpeg

Pre: Hot Shower
Brush: Blue Devil Tuxedo
Soap: Noble Otter Noir Et Vanille
Razor: Blutt BR-1 0.99mm
Blade: Gillette Stainless (2)
Post: The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toner, Nivea Skin & Stubble

Picked up the NO from B&B as they are a short drive down the road from work. From the get go I loved the scent. I could not stop sniffing it while driving back to work. The black tea/vanilla is perfectly balanced with a very subtle underlying sweetness. It's a thirsty soap for sure, and the scent held up very well through lathering. Great cushion and glide; residual slickness just a touch lacking. Post shave hydration was good.

And the Blutt? One word: sublime. If you want more words go read @Errol 's review.

I think I may have found my RAD killer. For now.

Status
Not open for further replies.