Shaves per Tub?

itsonlybarney

Still fairly new to shaving and I bought my first soap in a tub, in the last 3 weeks, so only a handful of shaves since receiving it.

How many shaves do you typically get out of a tub? I know it is a YMMV question, but curious to see everyone's experiences.

I believe we had a thing going here some years ago, who could get less shaves from a tub :D

I think we had members with ~25 shaves per tub of Mystic Waters...I am sure @Mark1966 can find the thread ;)

Depends on what type of soap and how much you load per shave. A triple milled hard puck will last significantly longer than a soft artisan soap. I have two tubs of Ariana and Evans soap that I'll be lucky to get 25 shaves from, while my puck of Saponifico Varesino will easily last 100+ shaves.

I believe we had a thing going here some years ago, who could get less shaves from a tub :D

I think we had members with ~25 shaves per tub of Mystic Waters...I am sure @Mark1966 can find the thread ;)
If I remember correctly, I think that was you :D And I'm pretty sure that's somewhere in the lather shots thread. And just yesterday, tim33z claimed to have got through a tub of Kaizen in 24 shaves.

That's pretty extreme though, I reckon I get at least 26 shaves. :LOL: More seriously, I think I get somewhere around 40 out of a tub of Noble Otter, loading heavily on a synthetic for both head & face shaves. And if you're talking about Stirling soaps, I recently got 7 months from a tub in heavy circulation.

Hard to disagree with what has already been stated and as somebody who tends to rotate equipment between shaves, I try to dedicate a few months in the year to work on neglected soaps with the aim of making way for future purchases.
In the last 12 mth period I have gone through around 5 tubs/samples with an average of 5 weeks per soap. It really comes down to a few factors: soap/cream consistency, loading times, knot type as synthetic and badgers are different and seasons as colder months I tend to use a bowl/scuttle where as summer I face lather and load from the tub.
I also shower shave so that helps but on average it takes 1-2 months to go through a tub.

I have just switched to bowl lathering and measuring the soap quantity by using a spoon to get a sample. Sample size is ~1gram, divide the net weight (in grams) and that's how many shaves I'll get. Typically in the past I get about 1 year off a tub.