Shaving bowl

Korbz

Just got back from a morning out with the family in an old artsy craftsy place, and they had a pottery area (where a group of potters get together frequently).

Anyways, I found a few bowls that would be ok for lathering/loading samples (as I normally face lather), and thought I'd just ask if anyone had heard of scuttles or lather bowls. They didn't but have put up a notice on an "inspiration" board with my name and number, where the potters come in and have a look to see if they want to give something a go.

The one I bought is below (can always re appropriate it to something else around the house as the daughter loves it).

I'll keep you guys updated if someone takes the bait and makes me something, in case anyone else if keen for one.

9DD9DD2A-174A-474F-9BEF-452D367C28AE.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, I was contemplating something other than my plastic cereal bowl this morning actually. Is there an optimum diameter for these things?

Heh, I was contemplating something other than my plastic cereal bowl this morning actually. Is there an optimum diameter for these things?
All depends on your hand size I think :) Most of the "XL" ones have an inside bowl measurement around the 11cm mark from what I've seen.

Forgetting colours, I was thinking about either a bowl like this
il_570xN.1205262670_95lo.jpg

or a scuttle (though I think I prefer the one piece over the 2 piece for safety)
il_570xN.1135898853_8k22.jpg

il_340x270.1266998197_3e20.jpg

I'm surprised that scuttles don't feature as much as brushes, soaps and aftershaves on this forum. When I started wet shaving I thought scuttles...schmuttles......
I just thought they were another shaving extravagance. After buying my second hand HG scuttle I have definitely changed my mind and as I've said before, I wouldn't be without my scuttle now (except for when I travel then I make do). The scuttle greatly assists with the lather development (if the surface of the scuttle bowl is corrugated or has some sort of rough surface) and if the scuttle has been constructed to hold warm water under the lathering bowl it keeps the lather warm which is great on a winters morning.
There are some really nice pieces of pottery out there that are both beautiful and very practical.

That's fantastic! Really looking forward to seeing what comes out of it, Id love a scuttle but again like you I'd rather spend money on someone in the local scene rather than just dumping money internationally, I would be keen on a one piece scuttle if she's open to it.

3 came out of her last firing, I've been doing some 'beta' testing for her. ;) This one's my favourite i think.

I'll grab some photos of the others and if anyone's interested ill get a price from her.
Oh wow, looks great. Did notice in your SOTD but was more focused on that boar brush as it looks very new.
Can you also find out if we can custom design an order please i.e. colour, style, finger handle, slot, grooves and ribs etc etc

Ok, had some time tonight to take a couple of pics. This is what she came up with after i gave her some direction and left her to it. I've kept one but if anyone is interested in either of these 2 let me know and ill see what she wants for them. I have lathered in them once, just for testing/QC purposes :happy: