Shaving on the cheap for noobies

Dan.05

So I don't profess to be an expert, just a fellow noob. But I want to show the gear that will get you a great shave without hurting the bank book.

So firstly listen to the people in here as they know their stuff.

I have some nice razors. Expensive and shave well, but you don't need to spend a fortune for the same result.

So here we go. All the prices are in aud because in in the land of Aus.

So gold dollar $10 with a leather pouch.
Proraso soap $9
Proraso aftershave $20
Boar hair brush $22
And a leather strop cost me $30

All up $91.

Gave me a bloody good shave. Learn how to shave with a razor and how sharp it needs to be by reading in here. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and helped me heaps.

Thanks.
4daedbcb5968d8c7219b7389dd4a7ac1.jpg

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

Nice! Great post. If I may add;
I
f you really want to penny pinch Arko stick comes in at about $2, but there is no matching aftershave I am aware of.
Could also add T.N. Dickenson's Witch Hazel if you require it - $7.
I wonder if Tabac might be more cost effective in the long run since it will last longer being a hard soap? $25 and $15 for the A/S. Just a thought.

Last edited:
@Dan.05 if you buy a whole box of Arko Shaving Soap Stick (1 Box = 12 Soaps) will cost you around $30 no more and this soap will last you a very long time and great value for money (y);) Also @King of Authentic Shave is the man if you have any question on Arko :)

see link https://shavingmarket.com/?post_type=product&s=Arko

Thanks guys. I have proraso green, red and drh Arlington. The purpose of the post is to show fellow noobs it is possible and is not that expensive.

But yes arko is cheap as chips and has been given the seal of approval when it comes to effectiveness.

Just trying to help new starters and show them it's not as hard or expensive as they think.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

I am waiting on my Golden Dollar to arrive that is supposed to be shave ready.... but I can learn to strop on that before I screw my good Rattler razor

Comoy TTO safety razor $22 (I have some Chinese DE razors coming from eBay less than $5 shipped just for laughs)
I shave on the cheap too my Badger Brush is a real cheap eBay brush it stopped moulting after about a week and does the job nicely. $5 ish delivered.
There is a shave cream at Cole and Chemist Warehouse that costs about $2.50 it has a sandalwood smell and I think performs better than Proraso.
There is also the new Nivea Sensitive shave cream @ $5 from Coles and some chemists.
My shave bowl is a terracotta bowl that came as a container for some Fig and Blue Cheese Dip, $8 it does a damn fine job and keeps the lather warm till the third pass. I soak the whole bowl and brush in hot water.

I have some significantly more expensive stuff coming from West Coast Shaving soaps and razors etc.

I am waiting on my Golden Dollar to arrive that is supposed to be shave ready.... but I can learn to strop on that before I screw my good Rattler razor

Comoy TTO safety razor $22 (I have some Chinese DE razors coming from eBay less than $5 shipped just for laughs)
I shave on the cheap too my Badger Brush is a real cheap eBay brush it stopped moulting after about a week and does the job nicely. $5 ish delivered.
There is a shave cream at Cole and Chemist Warehouse that costs about $2.50 it has a sandalwood smell and I think performs better than Proraso.
There is also the new Nivea Sensitive shave cream @ $5 from Coles and some chemists.
My shave bowl is a terracotta bowl that came as a container for some Fig and Blue Cheese Dip, $8 it does a damn fine job and keeps the lather warm till the third pass. I soak the whole bowl and brush in hot water.

I have some significantly more expensive stuff coming from West Coast Shaving soaps and razors etc.

Excellent. It should be a good starting point.

When you strop, it needs to be a really light motion, as you want to re-align the edge, not melt it off. Because the metal in these blades is so soft, it doesn't take much to refine things... for better or for worse. So, a tight strop, and a light touch will give you excellent results.

I think I have the same brush as you. Cost me $5, 2 years ago, now.

I prefer the Proraso Green over most, but I still have Barrister & Mann soaps that I am slowly ticking through.

Love your idea about the dip bowl. Whose name was on it? My big soup cup isn't doing the job, even with sanding.

Excellent. It should be a good starting point.

When you strop, it needs to be a really light motion, as you want to re-align the edge, not melt it off. Because the metal in these blades is so soft, it doesn't take much to refine things... for better or for worse. So, a tight strop, and a light touch will give you excellent results.

I think I have the same brush as you. Cost me $5, 2 years ago, now.

I prefer the Proraso Green over most, but I still have Barrister & Mann soaps that I am slowly ticking through.

Love your idea about the dip bowl. Whose name was on it? My big soup cup isn't doing the job, even with sanding.
Chris's Heritage Dips I got mine from Coles but it's available elsewhere and in other flavours but the bowl is good but the outside is porous soaking it seems to help keep it clean.
dip.jpg

Last edited:
Chris's Heritage Dips I got mine from Coles but it's available elsewhere and in other flavours but the bowl is good but the outside is porous soaking it seems to help keep it clean.
dip.jpg

What was the dip like? Sounds nice. [emoji5]

What was the dip like? Sounds nice. [emoji5]
its ok but I like blue cheese the other dips in the range seem nicer but Coles only carries that one locally.
The terracotta bowl is really cool and works just about as well as my son's scuttle when preheated. The terracotta holds the heat really well. Its just a bit harder to keep clean. The inside is coated with something hard and food safe.

Cheap alternative for preshave and it works really well.
Enya.emu oil lotion $4.99 from chemist warehouse and super markets. I found it in my quest for a low scent preshave and we had some in the cupboard. It's very good for your skin or so it says on the bottle and my face is so soft. I had the best shave yet yesterday.
It doesn't seem to add to slickness much but does seem to help soften the whiskers for me YMMV.