Shaving Scuttle Design

roger

A friend of mine has just acquired a potter's wheel which he seems to have quickly mastered. I suggested to him last week that he make scuttles. He show me his first attempts (unfired) and they look like the have potential.

He is now asking what are the main essentials of a good scuttle ie, size, finish, handle type etc.

does anyone have comments on what they would consider the main design points?

Not too deep that you loose your brush and not to wide that you loose your lather. A good size hole for emptying and a decent reservoir for hot water.

Steve

There's usually two kinds of scuttles (as far as I'm aware): a scuttle to hold your brush and a scuttle to make lather. So a brush scuttle and a lathering scuttle. The sizes differ between the two but essentially they serve the same purpose - to keep your lather warm. So you either lather on the face and keep your brush with lather in the brush scuttle; or you need to generate lather in your scuttle itself and then it remains warm. That's what I seem to come across.
Others can comment on handles, internal ridges, etc

@bald as
Good points, maybe an internal return or lip on the bowl would help with lather overflow.

@filobiblic
The potter planning on a lather scuttle, however since neither of us has ever used one it's a bit hard to imagine the finer design points.

For the handle he is considering a "bulldog" type (at least that is what I think it is called) rather than a loop type. Anyone got preferences on handles?

If it's a lather scuttle, some gentle ridging or texturing on the base of the bowl helps a lot with creating a good lather. The ridging needs to be pretty smooth though, or it may damage more delicate brushes.

ridging or texturing on the base of the bowl helps a lot with creating a good lather
Yes I have noticed on a few scuttles various texturing, a nice spiral one would increase the surface area that the lather was exposed to so we will take note of that.