Shaving soap storage

georgesg

Hello,
I hope I have the right thread, so many to choose from.

Somehow, in a short span of time, I have managed to collect an abundant amount of shaving soaps that now occupy drawers, shelves and boxes. How do you go about storing the soaps and creams to prolong their life? Most have either a 6 or 12 month image displayed on the label. They all sounded good on paper, but for me, a tin will last quite awhile. I haven't collected enough for a "life time achievement award", but I won't be exhausting my supply any time soon.
Thanks.

I use 52 Gallon (200l) storage tubs for mine, I have 5 of them now :)

Soaps are supposed to be used within 12 months from the date they are first opened, however if they are kept in a cool and dark place they can last for years - the fragrance in most instances will fade substantially however.

Is this what you use @todras?

XdeOlrBl.jpg

Soaps are supposed to be used within 12 months from the date they are first opened, however if they are kept in a cool and dark place they can last for years - the fragrance in most instances will fade substantially however.

so if they are opened but kept in a cool dark place will they be ok? what exactly happens to them after this time? is it just a loss of smell or doe the soap performance itself suffer?

so if they are opened but kept in a cool dark place will they be ok? what exactly happens to them after this time? is it just a loss of smell or doe the soap performance itself suffer?

From a functional perspective it depends on the soap and how it was made and what is in it, some yes and some no. It's taken on a case by case basis - especially so nowadays with some of the fancy ingredients people are putting into their soaps which I imagine would go rancid or cease having any effect after a year or 2. Probably still usable, but less than optimum and the same holds true for fragrance.