Shaving with a straight.

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
when using the Artist club for the first time yesterday I was thinking about shaving technique with straights, I for one change hands so my right hand shaves the right side of my face and the left dose the left and wondered if everyone is the same.

Right from the start I forced myself to change hands. It's a bit strange at first but waaaayyy better than using the same hand on the same side. That, however is good for traditional Kami usage.

Right from the start I forced myself to change hands. It's a bit strange at first but waaaayyy better than using the same hand on the same side. That, however is good for traditional Kami usage.
I'm the same. I have the urge to use my dominant hand but lefty does good

I can get good results both ways with my Feather DX kami. Likely different for a traditional straight though. It's really only my left cheek / sideburn where the difference is noticed and that's not a problem area for me.

I should spend more time practicing left handed though, just for the skills in case I go to traditional straights. Easy to get lazy...

7FB0FAD4-A372-47C4-BFF8-02853FD10C4E_zpspdgpnc1s.jpg
2b822d72-b1d9-42e4-a007-fd2eed66cba9_zpsmmk1g9fo.jpg

ac26a75f-fbf8-4b67-9dc8-deee18ffe29a_zpsmtzukwr0.jpg

when using the Artist club for the first time yesterday I was thinking about shaving technique with straights, I for one change hands so my right hand shaves the right side of my face and the left dose the left and wondered if everyone is the same.

Like @Sxot said, better to use both hands right from the start. Feels weird and awkward at first but then it becomes natural. Otherwise you end up doing acrobatics trying to do both sides of your face with one hand. The pictures show the grips I most commonly use. The reverse grip is great under the nose. But you don't need me to tell you. There's a stack of you tube videos that show technique.