Review Showdown - Rockwell 6S, Timeless 68/95, ATT, Guerrilla

Korbz

So, thanks to a @Tony Forsyth I have been able to try the Timeless 95 and ATT sets. Along with some other purchases I've made, been able to compare and find what works for me. The razors still left standing in my bathroom are the Timeless 68, Guerrilla and Rockwell.

Summary by brand
  • Rockwell is a fantastic choice. At $140AUD you get 6 settings, all of which are on the milder side, and very comfortable. Made from 316 SS, will last a lifetime. Even on 6, doesn't have the same efficiency as the more expensive brands, yet still delivers a great shave. Looks wise, if you like the industrial/minimalist type of style, you may appreciate it. I quite like the look, though it doesn't have that same air of "look at me and my great kit" that some people on some boards would crave (and vocally so).
  • Timeless are very well made and quite aesthetically pleasing to me. Depending on the variation (solid bar, scalloped, open comb & scalloped/flat cap) cost will vary. From $270-325 AUD delivered roughly. I found the 68 to have quite a tight angle to work with, and struggled to find it for the first few weeks. Was frustrating as kept reading reviews on how mild people thought it was. Also, considering I had tried the 95 prior to this and found that to give a smoother shave. Since that point, I have found the angle (just short of riding the cap) and get quite a comfortable shave with the 68. The shave is very efficient, and minimal stubble feel even the next day (and I have fast growing thick hair). I find that it pairs with sharper blades better for me, so tend to go Russian (as not a fan of feathers). The 95 on the other hand, I found had a much larger angle to play with due to the large gap, and was getting comfortable shaves with it. After a couple of weeks daily shaving I wasn't getting any ingrowns or irritation, but I just inexplicably felt that it might have been a bit much for a daily driver (no reason, just gut feel and opinion*). Finish was great on both Timeless razors, and they really do look the part considering how much you pay.
  • ATT was nice. Umm, yeah. I wasn't blown away by the styling, and the shaves, whilst comfortable, didn't take my breath away. Cost is $425 AUD delivered for the 3 piece set. M1 was too mild for me, though that does mean it was very comfortable. It was a 3 pass with quite a bit of clean up to give me a result I like. The R1, was similar in blade feel to the #5 plate of the Rockwell, or the Timeless 68 (when used at the correct angle). It produced a nice 3 pass shave, but I prefer shaving with the Rockwell on #4 over it, which delivered a similar result (even though the blade feel was 1 plate up). The H1 was comparable to the 95 plate of the Timeless. It did give a very close shave, but came with a blood cost in places (and slight irritation on the neck). Looks wise, much better finish than the timeless, however you're also paying 3 times a much. For me, it didn't offer anything different enough to make me want to buy.
  • Guerrilla has been the standout surprise tbh. $250 AUD delivered thereabouts. Weighing in lighter than the Timeless and Rockwell (both >110g), and no knurling on the handle, I wasn't sure what to expect from my first shave. Firstly, no issues with slipping. Very solid in the hand. The head is very thin, which makes it easier than the rest (with the exception of the ATT which is also quite narrow) to get around the nose and tight spots, and just feel more nimble. The blade feel was similar to the Rockwell on #4, where it has that mild feel, however the shave efficiency was nearing on the Timeless 68 performance. I know it's again that minimalist type of look that doesn't appeal to some, but I appreciate and find it attractive. It's made me even more determined to get a real Wolfman one day.
I'll try to add photos at a later stage, however there's really nothing I can post that you can't find from a quick google search. Overall, all these razors will perform admirably and it comes down to how much you want to spend, and what function you want this razor to perform. If you want the closest possible shave, forget the Rockwell and ATT M1. They're great daily drivers and I'll always have my Rockwell. The Guerrilla is a great blend of efficiency and blade feel, and highly recommended. The Timeless are very attractive razors, delivering great close shaves, but if I don't concentrate while using either, claret spills. The ATT I know is a top choice of many, and it is a great razor. If I had purchased one before the Rockwell, my opinion might be different. I just can't justify the price considering the alternatives.

*Opinions are like nipples, everybody has one. Some have firm points, others are barely discernible through layers, and some are displayed at every opportunity regardless of whether the audience has stated "I am interested in your nipples" or not. Cats have nineteen.

Nice review! I doubt I'll ever get a chance at these razors but it's good to keep up with what's new so thanks for that.

Excellent writeup and thank you for a great concise review.
Have always thought about the Rockwell but the later razors never as the price bang for buck always feels prohibited.

Though saying that the last in the list, the Guerrilla had intrigued me much so and you just made me pull the trigger.

Now hopefully the stars will align and the Ti Baby smooth/mamba will be next.

A good review. I'm about to try the Timeless 68 so will be able to gauge for myself against the ATT R1.I missed the first opportunity on the Guerrill so hopefully I'm on the wait list.

A good review. I'm about to try the Timeless 68 so will be able to gauge for myself against the ATT R1.I missed the first opportunity on the Guerrill so hopefully I'm on the wait list.

Took me ~month to get the reply. So it will come.
Please update us on your thoughts too.

@Korbz I chuckled hard about your nipple metaphor especially when you added the cat line. YMMV is my caveat yours are nipples, very clever.

Took me ~month to get the reply. So it will come.
Please update us on your thoughts too.

@Korbz I chuckled hard about your nipple metaphor especially when you added the cat line. YMMV is my caveat yours are nipples, very clever.
Credit where it's due, that line is from a bloke by the name of David Thorne. Very funny man and some great reading here.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the differences mate!

@Korbz did you do a complete review on the Colonial Razors 'The General' ???
Not yet buddy. Wanted to try to find my go to blade first (especially as I've got no other SE to compare it to). Might just end up doing a few video reviews at some stage cause I always put off typing things up lol.

I love my Rockwell 6S. It's the one to use when I don't want to concentrate, which is admittedly not often.

If I want efficiency, then I have to concentrate and use my Feather Artist Club. Or my Fatip Grande but that involves just as much concentrating with less fun...

Excellent review!

Anyone had any experience with both the 6s and 6c?
I love my Rockwell. But, I've only had two razors (Rockwell 6c, Merkur 34c) so, I don't feel like I have enough background to properly judge.

Wonderful review!!

I haven't used a timeless or guerrilla, but the ATT and Wolfman (both were loaned to me, they are too expensive on a bang-for-buck value basis) didn't impress me anywhere near as much as the Rockwell.

I set the Rockwell on #4 and off I go. Total comfort and BBS in 3 passes. Don't need to think much, nor work very hard to reach the ultimate shave, everyday.

Anyone had any experience with both the 6s and 6c?
I love my Rockwell. But, I've only had two razors (Rockwell 6c, Merkur 34c) so, I don't feel like I have enough background to properly judge.

I have the 6S and will be ordering a 6C next month as a travel razor.

I don't think you are missing much with the 6C as the blade gaps are the same as the 6S, just zamak instead of stainless steel and about 13g lighter than the 6S.

I have the 6S and will be ordering a 6C next month as a travel razor.

I don't think you are missing much with the 6C as the blade gaps are the same as the 6S, just zamak instead of stainless steel and about 13g lighter than the 6S.
Thanks for that. I'm probably just suffering from FOMO.
I love the idea of steel. Just a shame it's not shiny. :)

Fantastic review @Korbz - many thanks (y)(y)(y)

For me personally the biggest difference between the Rockwell and the Guerrilla (or Wolfman) is the head: one is thin and agile (Wolfman) and the Rockwell feels a bit like a hammer :D

You get great shaves from both, both the Guerrilla is more elegant and refined...

Still need to try out the Timeless though...but it might be too aggressive for me

Great review @Korbz and an interesting read. I have not tried a timeless personally but have tried all others in your review as well as owning a Wolfman Solid Bar and a Wolfman Open Comb (both instandard gap) interestingly I agree with your comments for the most part.

The Rockwell 6s is certainly the best bang for buck razor in the bunch. Interestingly I have only ever used the #4 plate on mine and I have found that it provides an effortless, comfortable, smooth, irritation free and (for me) very close shave. The head holds the blade tightly and there is no blade chatter. The head is a little bulky but does not cause me too many issues. I found the angle on the razor the moment I started using it and have not had a bad shave with it. I find that the razor works well with a variety of blades. It is the least "finished" out of the bunch and the least attractive to look at. Overall it does an exceptional job and is great quality.

The ATT R1 also provides a fuss free shave. Almost identical to that of the Rockwell on the #4 plate for me. The finish on the razor is good and you can certainly see a significant difference in quality compared to the Rockwell. The blade posts on the razor head are smaller than I prefer but nonetheless the razor holds the tightly and without blade chatter. Again I found the angle of the razor very easily, not as quickly as the Rockwell but certainly during the first use or two. It has been a while since I have used mine but from memory I find that a smoother blade such as a Voskhod works well with this razor. Another great razor that does a really good job. The quality is fantastic but still not as well finished as the razors from Wolfman.

The Guerilla IMO is a game changer. James from wolfman claims that this razor is not quite as well finished as the traditional Wolfman razors. For me the finish on the razor is outstanding. Sure it is not finished like a polished Wolfman but the build quality is exceptional and the finish of the razor is still better than that of the ATT razors IMO. The price point is also very good for a razor of this quality. The blade posts being on the bottom of the head instead of the top cap does take a little getting used to but is not a big deal. The razor holds the blade very tightly and there is no blade chatter. I found the angle of the razor in the first few strokes on my first use. My first couple of runs with the razor I used a Voskhod blade and found that the razor gives a very smooth, comfortable and irritation free shave. It is quite a mild razor and whilst it will make a very good daily driver it will not give me a BBS shave. Perhaps if I spent a lot of time on touch ups I would get there but I don't bother for that too much anymore. 3 passes and a little bit of touch up and that is it for me nowadays. I get a close enough standard day to day shave from this technique regardless of which of my razors I use (some give a BBS shave using this method and some do not). But I digress here so back to the reviewing. Today I switched to a Polsilvers SI blade and got a closer result. I will likely try a sharper blade next and see how that goes as well. This razor is already a firm favorite for me and a great addition to my den, it does a great job as a daily driver and is extremely well made. It has the quality of a traditional Wolfman razor but is readily and easily available and lower in cost. For me this is a winner for someone who wants to own a premium razor without having to either wait or pay a premium price to obtain.

So now we get to the Wolfman razors. I will review both the solid bar and open comb together as they are very similar. It goes without saying that the build quality and finish of the Wolfman razors is second to none. As expected the head holds the blade tightly and there is no blade chatter. It did take me a while to find the best angle with the Wolfman razors but once I did I found that the shave is smooth, comfortable and irritation free. I get a nice close shave from both the SB and OC versions with the OC being slightly more efficient without feeling more aggressive. I tend to prefer Voskhod and Polsilvers SI blades in the SB and Voskhods in the OC. I have no regrets about buying these razors. I really enjoy using them and they are definitely my favorite daily drivers (I believe the Guerilla will be joining them on this point). To put it in perspective I utilize a rotation method that involves using the same razor for a week and then switching to another razor for a week and so on. The last few times I have rotated around to either of the Wolfman razors I have used them for 2-3 weeks before switching to another razor. That should give you an idea as to how much I enjoy using them. IMO the Wolfman razors are the pinnacle in terms of finish and useability and worth every cent of their retail price. Sure they are not at a suitable price point for everyone and are quite an investment and it all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

To sum up

If you are looking for a great Stainless Steel razor at an exceptional price point and are not as fussy about looks then the Rockwell is for you (everyone should own one of these IMO)

If quality and finish are what you are looking for, don't mind a milder razor and do not want to wait or pay a premium then the Guerilla is for you.

If you want a really high quality razor in terms of quality and finish that also makes an excellent daily driver then it is the Wolfman you are after.

As with @Korbz statement these views and opinions are simply my own.

I also forgot to mention that the ATT, Guerilla and Wolfman all have a much lower profile head than the Rockwell 6s which does make them more maneuverable and easier to get around under the nose etc. The Rockwell has not caused me any issues personally with it's bulky head but this may be a deal breaker for some.

one is thin and agile (Wolfman) and the Rockwell feels a bit like a hammer :D

100% :)

I get a nice close shave from both the SB and OC versions with the OC being slightly more efficient without feeling more aggressive.

Do you get a BBS from the wolfmans mate? and what blade gap are they? Would be curious if the 67mm of the guerrilla gives the same shave as a 67mm wolfman.

Thanks for the detailed review as well. My wife and wallet may dislike the info, but I'm sure as hell set even more on a Wolfman now lol

100% :)

Do you get a BBS from the wolfmans mate? and what blade gap are they? Would be curious if the 67mm of the guerrilla gives the same shave as a 67mm wolfman.

Thanks for the detailed review as well. My wife and wallet may dislike the info, but I'm sure as hell set even more on a Wolfman now lol
Both of my Wolfmans are standard gap which is .61mm. Interestingly the Wolfman gives a closer shave than the Guerilla. I can get a BBS shave with the Wolfman if I spend a little more time on touch ups. The .67mm and .84mm blade gaps are also very popular and would of course offer a closer shave.