Silly question really, but are any of you lot a little bit geeky?

eggbert

is full of Vision Collision
2018 Sabbatical
2017 Sabbatical
Da Menth Heads
I've been out of the IT game for a long time now, and everything is moving on faster than I can be bothered to keep up.
Now that I have a decent internet connection coming I want to get a low powered htpc / nas / channelBT machine that I can hook up to the tv, but I don't have a clue where to start looking.
I guess one or two of you have a similar set up somewhere in your houses. If so, what would you recommend i look at, or where should I go to get some information?

Cheers

I have a HTPC I built with my daughter a couple of years ago. The build is here.

It is my one and only build and I'm no expert. Did it all though with advice from Whirlpool. Might be worth asking there.

I wish my closest MSY wasn't 3000km away.

I guess I'll be doing most of my purchasing online.

Cheers, hadn't considered whirlpool

Last edited:
So tempted to do something with a Raspberry Pi for this if they were available now.

Guess I will end up going for something close to the bang for the buck option on whirlpool

I would never have guessed you were BA

I pity the fool who doesn't know BA

I know the catchphrase and the character don't match up but I reckon most people of a certain age group should know who I mean by the above without clicking through.

Surprised there was no comment on the Raspberry Pi

Last edited:
I use a DLNA Smart LG TV (via WiFi) with TVersity on a server, which has my file shares.

My TV also allows a USB connection so I have a 1TB HDD direct to TV for the hi def stuff, as DLNA with LG doesn't yet allow DDS or anything jazzier than 5.1 AC3.

I did think about having a HTPC but just couldn't be arsed with it, even though i have a few PC's in the house capable of doing it, and further those PC's are doing nothing atm.

NAS is probably the way to go though. I've been looking at something like a Boxee set up.

For now, my initial method described (LG DLNA and TVersity with 1TB HDD plugged in to TV) works for me. The TV has dig optical out straight to the Yamahahahaha amp so that's good.

I ain't gettin on no plane, sucka.

Last edited:
My fundage for what the mrs calls extravagances has taken a bit of a hit with rego due, power bill due, internet hardware, and flights to Penang (damn Jetstar for announcing a sale 3 days after I buy my tickets - cost me $227).

So unfortunately this is going to have to take a bit of a back seat for a while.

I thought about the hp microserver, and I've also considered a NAS, but at the moment I have nothing to use as a seed box, so the htpc was going to be that as well.