Silvergleam Replating Service for adjustables

lvk96

Recently I got a Gillette 1961 Fatboy Adjustable replated in Rhodium at Silvergleam, which is located in Sefton, about a hour west of Sydney. They've had previous experience with replating razors, as seen with a post by @filobiblic, but apparently this would be there first time replating an adjustable. The guy I had a chat to there, Tim, was pretty apprehensive about replating the adjustable and asked if I had ever disassembled it. Seeing as it was one of the later editions of the Fatboy, it was going to be harder to disassemble then there earlier counterparts, however Tim seemed okay with giving it a shot so I left it in his care to disassemble for me. The price I paid for the replate in rhodium was $60, though prices range from $50 to over $100 depending on the initial condition of the razor (i.e. if he had to strip the original coating)

The turnaround time from me dropping off the razor to picking it up was 10 days including weekends. The razor I got back was completely reassembled and replated really well, except there seem to be some leftover residue from the replating process that accumulated around the gaps between the adjustable knob, resulting in the knob being considerably difficult to turn.

To remedy this, I soaked the razor in hot soapy water, and then scrubbed our the residue with a toothbrush. The knob was still pretty difficult to turn so I added some baby oil between the knobs, which completely solved the issue and gave me a fully functional adjustable knob. For the finishing touches I repainted the numbers using black enamel paint, and painted the indicator with red enamel paint.

Overall, I reckon the replating service for my Fatboy down at Silvergleam was really good, considering how much experience they had with adjustables. Price and turnaround time was also great.

Album of pics of the Fatboy before and after replating.

Another win for Slivergleam. So now they have chalked up in the last 3 months at least...
@lvk96's FatBoy Adjustable (Rhodium)
@MrT's fat-handled Tech (Rhodium)
My Eclipse Red Ring (Rhodium)
and Gold Aristocrat (Hard Gold)

Looks amazing !

Very impressed that they disassembled and re-assembled OK.

Ok... just got the razors back today after spending a day in Spa @FatBoy58 for a once over... Let's start with some details

• 2 x Fat Boys sent to Silvergleam for Rhodium plating - G2 & G3
  • Spoke with Tim there who does not take them apart to replate (then again neither does Dave @ Restored Razors in NZ, who did say that apparently "it was done that way a lot in the day by Gillette"... dunno but that's what he said)
  • Price - $85 inc GST each excluding shipping
  • Nearest competitor in price - Restored Razors $160 NZD or Razorplate $98 USD
  • Turnaround - 3 business days
So, considering the price of Rhodium in itself, it is a very cheap price. How did that translate into a finished product? (note some pics were before numbers painted)

Pic link

Now, I will be very critical and honest here, so that no one goes in blind or is disappointed in the results should they choose to go with them (thanks again to @FatBoy58 for pics, I don't own a macro lens).
  • Very top of handle between adjuster dial and head - little hit and miss
  • Internal case below adjuster dial but above knurling (normally painted black) - adjuster wasn't on 9 so plating missed a couple of small spots
  • Safety Bar on G2 - had a couple of flea bites that I hadn't bothered to polish smooth - plated over but still visible if you look hard
  • Inside of barn doors on G2 - original plating was a bit rough and plated over, resulting in a rough job in the corners
What does that mean? If you're replating something very valuable and want to get the best job possible, go elsewhere. If you're looking to replate a cheap pickup and want something user grade but shiny enough to make you go wow, go for it. (Note that this summary is for adjustables. They have done some great work for 3 piece jobs you can find in the other thread.)

Would I go back? Yes.
What would I do different? I would do the smoothing and prep work myself. I would ensure that the adjuster dial was on 9 and had let Tim know that in advance (to leave on 9). I'd potentially also mention that the charge may not reach the shaft between adjuster and head, and plating may be a bit thin there.

All in all I'm happy...

Top review - thanks for letting us know all that info @Korbz [emoji106]

As @filobiblic said - great review and thanks!

Interested in your comment above. I had two Fatboys done in rhodium by Razor Emporium a few years ago now. Both went back to be redone because I wasn't happy and even the second time around this area on both the plating was not even to my eye. At $25 per throw to post to the US registered I wasn't going around again and cut my loses.

So, a) factor postage into any comparison and b) I wonder if there is 'something' about this area that causes problems? I can't logically think what it should be but ...

Ok... just got the razors back today after spending a day in Spa @FatBoy58 for a once over... Let's start with some details

• 2 x Fat Boys sent to Silvergleam for Rhodium plating - G2 & G3
  • Spoke with Tim there who does not take them apart to replate (then again neither does Dave @ Restored Razors in NZ, who did say that apparently "it was done that way a lot in the day by Gillette"... dunno but that's what he said)
  • Price - $85 inc GST each excluding shipping
  • Nearest competitor in price - Restored Razors $160 NZD or Razorplate $98 USD
  • Turnaround - 3 business days
So, considering the price of Rhodium in itself, it is a very cheap price. How did that translate into a finished product? (note some pics were before numbers painted)

Pic link

Now, I will be very critical and honest here, so that no one goes in blind or is disappointed in the results should they choose to go with them (thanks again to @FatBoy58 for pics, I don't own a macro lens).
  • Internal case below adjuster dial but above knurling (normally painted black) - adjuster wasn't on 9 so plating missed a couple of small spots
  • Safety Bar on G2 - had a couple of flea bites that I hadn't bothered to polish smooth - plated over but still visible if you look hard
  • Inside of barn doors on G2 - original plating was a bit rough and plated over, resulting in a rough job in the corners
What does that mean? If you're replating something very valuable and want to get the best job possible, go elsewhere. If you're looking to replate a cheap pickup and want something user grade but shiny enough to make you go wow, go for it. (Note that this summary is for adjustables. They have done some great work for 3 piece jobs you can find in the other thread.)

Would I go back? Yes.
What would I do different? I would do the smoothing and prep work myself. I would ensure that the adjuster dial was on 9 and had let Tim know that in advance (to leave on 9). I'd potentially also mention that the charge may not reach the shaft between adjuster and head, and plating may be a bit thin there.

All in all I'm happy...

i think the thing to note here for someone doing this with the likes of Silver Gleam is to get it stripped down first clean have it properly cleaned & reassembled. I have done these breakdowns and strip jobs a number of times just take your time but don't lose the parts and then send it cleaned and sanitized it will ensure you get back a razor shave ready. You will notice a little stickiness in the twister knob that opens the blade doors this is the result of plating but it should free up a little in time

... I have done these breakdowns and strip jobs a number of times just take your time but don't lose the parts a...

While Nils talks nonchalantly about taking apart, and more importantly, rebuilding adjustables please, please, DON'T try it at home unless you are really confident in your abilities with these sort of tasks.

Forums are littered with stories of failed attempts and I had a *VERY* seized Toggle that I gave away as a prize to somebody who considered they could get it going. While they got it going they then decided to strip and clean properly - breaking it in the process :(

Watch some videos and maybe bug @FatBoy58 with some questions before attempting this.

c512d3eed2fab2cba2880f8bbd618b0a.jpg

With enough tape you should float. My precious Fatboy is off to razor emporium for a nickel revamp. I was tossing up with the rhodium but couldn't stomach $200. I figure it took 50 years to wear away the thin nickel plating from the factory I at least got to get another 50 [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator: