Simpson manchurian

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I am in the middle of sabbatical already but I am already researching my next big purchase, don't judge me.

So what do people think about the chubby 3 limited editions? Are they worth it? I am torn between getting one or going for a blond M&f. I quite like my finest.

Other alternatives I should be looking at?
I would like my next purchase to be more considered and less implosive if that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like my next purchase to be more considered and less implosive if that makes sense.

Less 'implosive' or less 'impulsive'?

Actually, either probably works!

[the joys of phone keyboards]

Less 'implosive' or less 'impulsive'?

Actually, either probably works!

[the joys of phone keyboards]

Oops [emoji87]
[emoji23]

Personally I don't get the hype with Simpsons top end brushes especially with their shedding issues at that price. They might be hand made but maybe with pressure to produce a set number of units in a day they are going too fast and letting QA slip? I don't know. I will say there are plenty of fanatics that love them (LE Manchurians) to bits so I am not saying they are bad. I am saying they are a bit of a gamble for the money IMHO. I'd be taking my money to M&F (Brad Sears), Shavemac, Wilborg, or any other top end artisan if it were me. Right now, it would be M&F who'd get my money although Paladin is a close second, just not hand tied. Real shame Paladin aren't using M&F knots. Order with Wilborg and you probably won't get it until you're off sabbatical.

Last edited:
Yea, I am thinking of sourcing a knot directly off brad and sending it to be turned here.
Maybe use a burl handle?

Burl is nice. Make sure the handle design has a goodly amount of meat (thickness) at the top or they can split. I don't know if brad will do a knot sans handle but never hurts to ask.

But, these (and others above) are just my thoughts on the matter. There are those who are far more knowledgeable than me on the subject...

Yea , I am sure that my mind will change by the end of the year anyways, I would like to get as much opinions as I can do I can make an informed decision. So thanks for your views :)

Simpson do some beautiful LE pieces, but the price tag has always been off-putting for me when there are so many other great brushes available.

Had the Duke in best badger and passed it on due to size, still have the Stubby2 in finest that i like but seldom use....... proper lather hog.

My Brad Sears Manchurian took a good few uses before showing me its best, but its favourite now....... and the shavemac knots are excellent....... both half the price of a LE Simpson. Better VFM in my mind and less chance of shedding........ Simpson's aftermarket customer service is also hit and miss i've heard.

Vfm?

How does brads knots compare to M&f?