Slant Blade Razor, what ya reckon?

Good point, Adam. I found that Merkur extended the life of the blade. Instead of tossing out a blade after 3 shaves with other razors, I could go 5 when using the 37C.

I've picked up a 37C as a reasonable way to try a slant. I found the shave smooth and similar to my 34C but where I really noticed the slant effect was when I went ATG from the jaw line up. Over all the 37C was a keeper for me as I occasionally insert in the ole rotation.

There has been plenty of progress in the slant world, with several slants recently made available. I bought a Bakelite slant from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrement for USD$19.95 which is inspired by the Fasan slant. Will post a review when I've got it.

Well I love my open comb (NEW) and am thinking it's time for a guillotine. The Merkur 37c looks interesting. Hmmm….
Any other thoughts - especially on the 37c particularly?

I have both the NEW SC and 37C, I love them both. I would recommend the 37C (it won't break the bank) . I especially enjoy the 37C against the grain otherwise I really can't tell the difference.

Well I love my open comb (NEW) and am thinking it's time for a guillotine. The Merkur 37c looks interesting. Hmmm….
Any other thoughts - especially on the 37c particularly?

I too was curious about the slant and went to the 37C (low price) to give the concept a try. I liked it and still use in my rotation. I especially enjoy when I go ATG as it seems to stall less that my other drivers. But as with all Zamak razors they have short life spans - mine is starting to wrinkle under the cap. I am contemplating replacing with an ATT S-1 when she goes tits up.

I too was curious about the slant and went to the 37C (low price) to give the concept a try. I liked it and still use in my rotation. I especially enjoy when I go ATG as it seems to stall less that my other drivers. But as with all Zamak razors they have short life spans - mine is starting to wrinkle under the cap. I am contemplating replacing with an ATT S-1 when she goes tits up.
Considered replating it?
Is what I've done with mine :)

Oh and has anyone hward from @Marlow ?

Or try bakelite. My Fine is going. ..well. ..Fine

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add it to yours mate. Can you post the URL here for us?
I'll post one up in the next day or two @stillshunter. We can compare notes.

In the meantime feel free to read my review of the Razorock Wunderbar Slant here https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/razorock-wunderbar-stainless-steel-slant.3292/ and I make some mention of the Fine Superlite in this review I believe

I have also made some brief comments about the Superlite in this post https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/shave-of-the-day-thread-2016.2207/page-340#post-85112 and this post https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/ikon-x3-slant-first-impressions.3008/#post-76415

Look forward to seeing your review @stillshunter :D

Last edited by a moderator:
im looking to give a slant razor a crack and thought this might be the best place to ask. has any one got an opinion on starting with either the paa bakelite or an ikon x3? or is there another slant out there that i should look closely at without shelling out more than a hundred bucks or so.

I have a PAA Bakelite and find it a bit too aggressive.By way of reference I think the level of aggression of the EJ 89 to be perfect.
The Fine I also have and think it is great

Found the Fine isn't too aggressive yet efficient for a DE. Will depend on whether you can be trusted to not compensate for the lack of weight by applying pressure. Pressure is not required, though this might seem counter-intuitive at the time.

@beerhog i have an ikon x3 slant that I use as my daily driver, I pair it with my polsilvers and it goes great. it's quite a hefty razor so you don't need to apply much/any pressure just let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I had a shave the other day with an R89 and found it less than impressive than the slant

I have the x3 and find it great too. It's not as efficient as other slants but still gives a great shave.
If you want a cheap slant I recommend the RR 37 for around $20 it gives me one of the best shaves I have had and for the price it's a no brainer.
Fine is another goody but it's super aggressive, some say it's on par with a r41 but for me it's a lot smoother. This ones gives me a full bbs shave in 2 passes with the shave so close I don't need a daily shave.