Smart Helix Apollo

Rhinehoth

... and these are a few of my favourite soaps.
It arrived today in a nice wooden razor coffin. I thought it would be a heavy razor but it’s no heavier than my Pils and I have no problem with the weight. Positively a lightweight compared to my Hone razor. I was made aware of the new razor after I had a shave so i will be shaving with it tomorrow. I have a question for those that have this razor. I placed a razor blade in the razor and one side of the razor the blade tab is covered completely and on the other side the blade tab is showing slightly. Is this normal?

It arrived today in a nice wooden razor coffin. I thought it would be a heavy razor but it’s no heavier than my Pils and I have no problem with the weight. Positively a lightweight compared to my Hone razor. I was made aware of the new razor after I had a shave so i will be shaving with it tomorrow. I have a question for those that have this razor. I placed a razor blade in the razor and one side of the razor the blade tab is covered completely and on the other side the blade tab is showing slightly. Is this normal?
Great to read that your new Apollo DE has arrived safely.
A quick check of mine shows very very minimal blade tab overhang that its never nicked me or posed a problem. I can't say I've really noticed any difference as some blades have different dimensions...?

I did drop mine a while back where the post came apart but Smart Helix sent a full replacement top cap+flippable base plate hassle free as they are a set and require a special tool to screw the post back onto the top cap. A wonderful company who stand by theitr products and I look forward to them expanding on the range into the future. Happy Shaves!

First, thank you Razor Burn for the reply. I just thought that it’s weird to have blade overhang on one side only (and it’s minimal). However, as long as it shaves as I expect it to (superbly) then who cares? It is very well built though and a handsome razor.

Great razor. Which model did you choose? I never seen any faults with either of mine. If it shaves different I’d be in contact with Smart Helix immediately. As @Razor Burn mentioned they are a great company to deal with.

I have the light with two base plates and not flippable. No difference in blade overhang between the two ends. The bases are minimal 1mm wider than cap and blade hangs out by another 1mm (2mm from cap and 1mm from base)
Are you sure it's not the blade?

Great razor. Which model did you choose? I never seen any faults with either of mine. If it shaves different I’d be in contact with Smart Helix immediately. As @Razor Burn mentioned they are a great company to deal with.
I bought the one with the reversible bottom plate. The blade tab overhang is minimal (1 mm at most) and it is only on one side. The rest of the razor is immaculate and as long as it shaves great then I’ll keep it.

I have the light with two base plates and not flippable. No difference in blade overhang between the two ends. The bases are minimal 1mm wider than cap and blade hangs out by another 1mm (2mm from cap and 1mm from base)
Are you sure it's not the blade?
I tried other razor blades (Feather, Personna, Gillette) and It’s not the blade. Also, I think you’ve misunderstood my post. I am referring to the razor blade tabs not the cutting edges. The cutting edges of the razor blade are symmetrical on both sides (even).

Congrats on the score, I have never read an unkind word about Smart Helix, they have a great reputation for stellar products and service. If it's not the blade, I'm sure they'll be happy to replace the head if the tab exposure is a problem.
To be fair, I did not say anything unkind about Smart Helix either.

I tried other razor blades (Feather, Personna, Gillette) and It’s not the blade. Also, I think you’ve misunderstood my post. I am referring to the razor blade tabs not the cutting edges. The cutting edges of the razor blade are symmetrical on both sides (even).
Not misunderstood. The razor blade tabs protrude less than 1mm but are symmetrical. There is minimal blade movement without cap screwed down and not enough to cause level of asymmetry in OP
Are you going to raise the defect with Smart Helix?

First picture shows the blade tab (it’s slight) and in the second picture there is no blade tab showing.
it6fvxb.jpg
wDyMm6n.jpg

Not misunderstood. The razor blade tabs protrude less than 1mm but are symmetrical. There is minimal blade movement without cap screwed down and not enough to cause level of asymmetry in OP
Are you going to raise the defect with Smart Helix?
Perhaps on your razor, but on mine the razor blade tab protrudes only on one side. If it’s shaves okay I am not going to care about the blade tab protruding on one side. I was just curious whether this was common and it seems it is. My Masamune has blade tabs that protrude and I am never getting rid of that razor.

Interested to know if it's the base plate or top cap that is out of spec. If you sit a blade on the posts from the base plate is there still a difference in the amount of blade tab overhang on each side?